collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Better clothes and accessories quality? Sylvanian vs MLP  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Mana Minori

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Better clothes and accessories quality? Sylvanian vs MLP
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:14:02 AM »
I have been curious for some time now, if My Little Pony is comparable with brands that I see quite often and rather prominently when I shop- Sylvanas and Lil Woodzees flocked animals and their play sets and accessories. Maybe it’s just me, but I always wonder why MLP’s play sets aren’t as cute and detailed as the ones that these other furry family’s seem to get? Why aren’t MLP’s accessories and clothing just garbage in comparison to the Sylvanas and Lil Woodzees? Frankly, I would kinda like the idea of a crossover with the two (either Woodzees or Sylvanas), but really- I just that it boils down to quality. I would love what the critter families have, but for the ponies.

Sad part is- I can never see that type of care and quality being offered by Hasbro for their pony line, the longer the generations go on. So instead, I would more likely dish out money for a good quality set from these other brands, who also have super cute clothing and accessories- than fish out hope to Hasbro upping their QC. Does anyone know if the sets are perfect for ponies? (Sadly, due to size, not the earlier gens, I figure)
formerly nightmare muffin

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Better clothes and accessories quality? Sylvanian vs MLP
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
I don't know that they're really comparable... MLPs are figures, Sylvanians are tiny beautiful little dolls. They're different animals, so to speak.

their clothes definitely wouldn't fit ponies of any size o.O But some people have used SF and Woodzeez playsets for early G4s and they seemed to be an alright size match.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:57:00 AM »
MLP have never really been thought of as "dollhouse toys".  However... SF/CC have always been "dollhouse toys"; therefore, more accessories, tiny furniture, clothing, etc. 

I seem to recall that when I was a child in the 80's, they were marketed as "older girl toys", when they could be more capable of being gentle with delicate bits.  MLP have always been skewed to the younger age, who don't have the dexterity and coordination to deal with teensy tiny accessories.  There are a few, for sure, like the cutlery in Paradise Estate, but most MLP accessories are larger and fit better in the hands of younger kids. 

Also, if you have seen the episode of "Toys That Made Us", the Hasbro employees were very specific that MLP only worked as a brand because of "hair play".  Toys for girls were all about domestic life, nurturing, and personal care at that time.  And little girls love to brush and brush and brush their ponies - at least in reality, that was a huge part of the attraction. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
I don't know that they're really comparable... MLPs are figures, Sylvanians are tiny beautiful little dolls. They're different animals, so to speak.

their clothes definitely wouldn't fit ponies of any size o.O But some people have used SF and Woodzeez playsets for early G4s and they seemed to be an alright size match.
i know that the clothing wouldn’t fit. I meant InTerms of quality, actually, compared to the stuff we see get used for pony clothes.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 11:17:51 AM »
I'd love to see more well-detailed playsets, but I guess that would push it into another price point and MLP is not thought of as an elite or expensive brand in the same way SF/CC are (at least, that's how I perceive SF...).

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:52 AM »
Yeah I second what lovesbabysquirmy said .. mlps were meant to be small inexpensive toys for little kids hence why playsets aren't really the best. sylvanians are much more detailed and beautiful in quality and are meant for collectors which is why they seem to be pricier. like the disney designer dolls vs regular dolls at walmart
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:36:12 AM by fanime5 »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:39:08 AM »
I feel like the plastic "snap on" clothes (like in Core 7 G3) is definitely a case of catering to a younger audience compared to G1.  There's a reason most thrift store Barbies are naked.  Little kids suck at putting clothes on dolls.

I do miss the more high quality clothing.  But if anyone has a chance to pick up Target exclusive G4 Fashion Styling Pinkie Pie, she has the highest quality outfit I've ever seen on a pony. (All fabric too.)

As far as fabric clothes in general, the trouble is that MLP usually has a variety of body molds.  And that variety is a selling point.  But the more variety you have, the harder it is to design clothes that will fit EVERY pony.  If you look at G1, most pegasus ponies are not going to look great in the gowns, shirts, sweaters, etc.  Seashell and Bubbles can't wear pants.  Firefly and Medley have legs perma-stuck to their bodies.  But even beyond that . . . there were a lot of other ponies I had who looked terrible in the Birthday Party outfit (the one piece of ponywear I owned.)  Their proportions made it look weird rather than cute.  Moondancer, who was my favorite pony, could barely be velcroed into it.

So in that sense MLP is very different from Sylvanian Families, which basically has only one adult critter mold.  Sure, the head is different between bear / badger / fox / whatever, but their body proportions are always going to be exactly the same.  Which makes it easy to design clothes that will fit all of them, which makes them more prone to make clothing a selling point.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »

i know that the clothing wouldn’t fit. I meant InTerms of quality, actually, compared to the stuff we see get used for pony clothes.

Oh... well of course SFs have higher quality clothes. Most MLPs don't even come with clothes ;) It's not really a fair comparison, like I said. Apples and oranges.

Offline Mana Minori

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 02:55:07 PM »
MLP have never really been thought of as "dollhouse toys".  However... SF/CC have always been "dollhouse toys"; therefore, more accessories, tiny furniture, clothing, etc. 

I seem to recall that when I was a child in the 80's, they were marketed as "older girl toys", when they could be more capable of being gentle with delicate bits.  MLP have always been skewed to the younger age, who don't have the dexterity and coordination to deal with teensy tiny accessories.  There are a few, for sure, like the cutlery in Paradise Estate, but most MLP accessories are larger and fit better in the hands of younger kids. 

Also, if you have seen the episode of "Toys That Made Us", the Hasbro employees were very specific that MLP only worked as a brand because of "hair play".  Toys for girls were all about domestic life, nurturing, and personal care at that time.  And little girls love to brush and brush and brush their ponies - at least in reality, that was a huge part of the attraction.
i can get over that the ponies aren’t dollhouse type toys. Ok. But they do have their own play sets from time to time, and so do the Sylvanas and Woodzees. Just basic small sets- I mean compare Twilight’s treehouse to the little grocery store type set that blows Twi’s Golden Oaks Library (RIP) out of the water by comparison. Neither are dollhouses. But still.
There are more to pony than brushing- Hasbro has made that clear by introducing play sets since g1. Is it so wrong to want a bit more on the quality aspect?

Post Merge: May 16, 2020, 02:59:09 PM

I feel like the plastic "snap on" clothes (like in Core 7 G3) is definitely a case of catering to a younger audience compared to G1.  There's a reason most thrift store Barbies are naked.  Little kids suck at putting clothes on dolls.

I do miss the more high quality clothing.  But if anyone has a chance to pick up Target exclusive G4 Fashion Styling Pinkie Pie, she has the highest quality outfit I've ever seen on a pony. (All fabric too.)

As far as fabric clothes in general, the trouble is that MLP usually has a variety of body molds.  And that variety is a selling point.  But the more variety you have, the harder it is to design clothes that will fit EVERY pony.  If you look at G1, most pegasus ponies are not going to look great in the gowns, shirts, sweaters, etc.  Seashell and Bubbles can't wear pants.  Firefly and Medley have legs perma-stuck to their bodies.  But even beyond that . . . there were a lot of other ponies I had who looked terrible in the Birthday Party outfit (the one piece of ponywear I owned.)  Their proportions made it look weird rather than cute.  Moondancer, who was my favorite pony, could barely be velcroed into it.

So in that sense MLP is very different from Sylvanian Families, which basically has only one adult critter mold.  Sure, the head is different between bear / badger / fox / whatever, but their body proportions are always going to be exactly the same.  Which makes it easy to design clothes that will fit all of them, which makes them more prone to make clothing a selling point.
the clothes I can forgive. Heck, most of my herd (except the fashionistas, go naked anyway. But the sets- I mean, come on!!! Even the big sets like Seaquestria Novo’s castle, or Crystal Empire castles are piss poor in quality and somehow more expensive, compared to a lot of the even smaller, higher quality sets that these flocked critter families have to offer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 02:59:09 PM by Mana Minori »

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 04:40:49 AM »
I second that they're not really comparable. I collect both, and I love my pony and critter playsets equally in different ways - the critter ones are more realistic and detailed, while the pony ones are (usually) bigger and more whimsical. Plus, quality varies from playset to playset in both lines. Some of the newer critter playsets I would consider lower quality (and are definitely less detailed) than the majority of pony playsets.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:31:54 AM »
If you want quality playsets for a fair price, I strongly reccomend Lil Woodzees.

Post Merge: May 17, 2020, 09:32:56 AM

:lol: Ohh the amount of naked barbies seen at my cousins houses and the swapmeets over the years.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 12:46:29 PM »
I just checked on Google and those Sylvanian family playsets don't seem particularly better than Paradise Estate or Lullabye Nursery to me, but then again I'm not much into toys outside of MLP.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 01:22:31 PM »
I just checked on Google and those Sylvanian family playsets don't seem particularly better than Paradise Estate or Lullabye Nursery to me, but then again I'm not much into toys outside of MLP.

Quality has gone down a lot since then.

Tbh for the same size playset Sylvanians will always be more expensive because they aim older and it seems the older the kid is the more a parent will spend on an individual item.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 02:16:06 PM »
I’ve always seen them as very different kinds of toys.  My Little Pony was more of an outdoorsy, play in the mud and throw in the pool kind of toy.   :shocked:  Calico Critters was one that you had to be far gentler with. 

Of course, we collectors were all gentle with our ponies but, cleaning them up afterwards and brushing out their hair was how I played with them.  I didn’t spend a lot of time having them play house.  They can’t sit down or hold things. Laying in bed looks uncomfortable. They don’t fit easily in kitchens and the like. Dressing them is problematic as they can look unnatural in clothing. Even in the cartoons, they spent most of their time nude.  It just didn’t work for me.

But, as an adult, I can appreciate Calico Critters and their teenie tiny accessories.  Just incredible details.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal