collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice needed: eBay buyer says package never arrived RESOLUTION!  (Read 1983 times)

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Hello everyone! I've been selling on eBay and the Arena for years with no problems (thank goodness). Until now. In December I sold several ponies on eBay, including one that sold for over $60. I mailed the pony along with several other packages and got tracking numbers for all of them. I checked eBay routinely and saw that all the packages had been marked "delivered," including this one (on Dec 22).

On Jan 9, the buyer reported a problem to eBay and sent me a message that s/he had never received the pony though did see it was reported delivered to his/her address. Unfortunately I just saw the message (I'm not buying or selling at the moment, so I wasn't checking messages), but I've responded and am waiting to hear back.

So what now? This seems to be a problem between the buyer and the USPS, not me. I also think it's the buyer's fault that s/he did not contact me or make a report until Jan 9 (or presumably contact the PO), which was over two weeks after the pony was reported delivered. Any thoughts are welcome. I do of course feel badly for the buyer.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:55:15 AM by ValeofSpring »
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: eBay buyer says package never arrived
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 01:40:10 AM »
What makes me suspicious is that the buyer waited this long to claim they didn't receive the package. Who waits over three weeks to report that the tracking has incorrectly updated?

I'd ask them why they didn't report not having received the items before now, and if they've checked their local post office at all to see if they were being held there. I don't hold out much hope for the post office being interested in tracking down something marked at delivered so long ago, though.
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:16:47 AM »
I'd be suspicious too!  If that buyer opens a case on ebay , don't worry- you will win  as they signed for the parcel and there is proof of delivery etc!
 I had this happen to me last year when I was selling Disney Frozen dolls - I sent the parcel tracked and with delivery confirmation , I checked and the buyer had signed for the parcel....and then a few weeks later I got a message from the buyer asking if I'd forgot to pack Elsa as she was missing (each doll was wrapped in a separate lot of bubble wrap, then different colored gift wrap (I recorded who was wrapped in what color), there was a book included and wrapped too, then everything went in one box which was all sealed up the covered in brown paper and completely sealed again  (the weigh was also recorded and as I had sold more than one set the same and packed them the same , so I had that receipt and others to show they weighed the same for two dolls and a book - the single dolls were sent as small parcels which cost less and and weighed much less) . You'd know if it had been tampered with, and besides the buyer would have known right away if that doll was missing - not weeks later., I asked for pics of the parcel, the wrapping paper, and about the book - none of which the buyer answered, and the kept changing their story (I think you might remember this case CS as you commented I think)   . Elsa was impossible to buy at the time and going for crazy high money on her own... long story short, ebay said they would side with me if the buyer opened a case since I had proof that the parcel had been received etc, but the buyer backed off after I mentioned getting the police involved!
 If you want to try and give the buyer the benefit of the doubt , you could ask them if anyone else in their family signed for the parcel and forgot to tell them, or to ask their neighbours if they signed for a parcel :awake:
I think that your buyer might be trying to get a free pony out of you or/and some money. It sounds suspiciously like a scammer  - it might  not be, but if it isn't , it's still not your responsibility since you have proof of postage and delivery  :hug:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:19:47 AM »
I don't find it 100% suspicious. I don't always pay attention to tracking or when items are supposed to arrive. It could be that she just remembered about the item, checked the status, and then discovered it was "delivered" 2 weeks ago.

While it's not your fault, at best you should confirm it went to the right address*

edit to say: that the right address was on the label.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:47:42 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:48 AM »
I have had this happen to me before as a buyer. It is very frustrating because there isn't much you can do. On the day it said my package was delivered I literally checked my mail right after the mail man pulled away and there was nothing. I harassed my PO for several weeks and filed a claim and NOTHING ever came of it. They took down my name and number at least 4 times and promised to get back to me and never did.

I can definitely understand where you are coming from though. I think as a seller you aren't really responsible. It was nice of you to respond though. I tried to contact the person I bought from for help and they never responded. Thankfully...I sent a message to ebay explaining everything that happened along with the PO case number and they refunded me right away. Maybe you could suggest that to your buyer. And if she is in good standing with ebay and it isn't a very expensive item they might refund her.

I guess it is just one of those yucky situations that happens!! Hope it all works out for both of you. :)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:50:21 AM »
I've had it happen to one of my buyers.  Turns out, she lived in some sort of housing complex (apartments or town-homes or something) and they'd been having trouble with stolen mail.  Right before Christmas is a prime package stealing time and that could be one explanation. 

ETA:  But it does seem strange they wouldn't contact you sooner.  Perhaps the dolls were not necessarily a Christmas present and with the flurry of holiday activity, they didn't notice.  As a seller, I tend to be really cautious about people claiming they didn't get packages because I, of course, know I sent them! 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 07:56:43 AM by Aadra310 »

Offline ValeofSpring

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice needed: eBay buyer says package never arrived UPDATE
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 10:36:05 AM »
I've had it happen to one of my buyers.  Turns out, she lived in some sort of housing complex (apartments or town-homes or something) and they'd been having trouble with stolen mail.  Right before Christmas is a prime package stealing time and that could be one explanation. 

ETA:  But it does seem strange they wouldn't contact you sooner.  Perhaps the dolls were not necessarily a Christmas present and with the flurry of holiday activity, they didn't notice.  As a seller, I tend to be really cautious about people claiming they didn't get packages because I, of course, know I sent them! 

Yes! And UPDATE . . . the buyer sent me two more messages and the story is a bit different. Here they are if anyone cares to read them:

"I never received this item but its showing it was delivered to my address?"

"my house was broken into and can you believe they stole this package with the little pony do you know if there is a way for ebay to pay me back my money atleast for the item I lost?"

"my item was stolen, the whole package, my house was broken into , there is no way to get the money paid back to me on the item I purchased and that I never received"

The case is still pending. I do feel sorry for the buyer, but I don't see how I or eBay can help. Unfortunately his/her house was robbed and sadly the pony was taken. And it was a near-mint Slugger w/ his hat! Ugh, I hate the thought of that pony being in the trash somewhere. Hopefully somehow this will work out for the buyer, though it doesn't look good. I'm *assuming* eBay won't penalize me.

PS I do find it odd that story went from item never received to the house was broken into and package stolen, although I guess they could have broken in AND taken the mail outside.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:38:47 AM by ValeofSpring »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:02 AM »
:/ ugh, I take back what I said... That's fishy.

I don't think ebay would penalize you. You didn't do anything wrong.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ValeofSpring

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
Bandit--I totally agree with you in that, no, I'm not always good about looking on eBay to see when a package was shipped/delivered. I usually just wait and assume it's coming. The seller in this instance did wait a bit long, but I agree that by itself I wouldn't necessarily find it suspicious.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »
Wait a second.

Are they now saying they received the item, but it was STOLEN before they could open?  Okay, so how is that your fault, and did they not just lie to you???

Okay, I am smelling some serious BS here. 

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
Wait a second.

Are they now saying they received the item, but it was STOLEN before they could open?  Okay, so how is that your fault, and did they not just lie to you???

Okay, I am smelling some serious BS here. 

I'm seconding the BS story and wondering why if that was the case they would have waited so long to say something. They can't expect the seller or ebay to take a hit if it was stolen. It would be something for the police to handle.

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 11:19:22 AM »
If she opened a case and the item shows delivered, eBay will side with you. I would respond to the case if you have not already and make sure to post the tracking number. Then just let the case run it's course because there is not much else to do, except wait at this point.  Ebay will review it and rule in your favor.

I have no doubt in my mind they are trying to take you for a ride.  :mad:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
Please pm me their ebay user name as I'd like to block them from bidding on my auctions.

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »
I wonder if the PO has a signature on file for that package...

It does seem strange they've gone from "it didn't arrive" to "my house was robbed and it was taken then". If it WAS taken from the property, then they need to claim off their housing insurance. They really need to get their story straight. They sound far too confident it was stolen all of a sudden.

I'm kind of sceptical that they had an expensive item in the post and didn't think to check the tracking once in those three weeks (I can't be the only person that obsessively checks any and all tracking numbers. I can't just let something be if I can track it). Even if their house was broken into, you'd think it would occur to them before now...
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 12:12:34 AM »
I'm with the other posters. It's funny how the story has so drastically changed. I smell a scammer.

As for tracking packages, I often don't even bother looking up the tracking number unless something is super late.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal