collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need help getting started  (Read 785 times)

vinzydesigns

• Trade Count: (0)
Need help getting started
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
Hello! I am going to be starting doing custom ponies, and I know where to get hair, but I do not know what the name of the best sculpty is, or what kind of paint to use, could any one help me?

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Need help getting started
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
This thread has tons and tons of links to tutorials, where to buy different supplies and FAQs, have a look through that and if you have further questions I am sure one of us can help. http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,283445.0.html

Offline Ellis1342

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Doodle or do not doodle! There is no artist block!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
A lot of folks use apoxie sculpt or similar non bake mediums to work with to avoid baking ponies in the oven. As I cannot afford that stuff yet, I use Fimo soft. it bakes at a lower temp than sculpt. As for paints, honestly I use applebarral, folk art...whatever. Just a note on paint colors. As the bottles of paint are so cheap, I usually try to get the color straight from the bottle. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way, so make sure to mix enough of the paint to cover your pony prior to starting full body repaints.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

lilacamy931

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
Already have fantastic help, going through the links and reading up is great.

For hair common places are Dollyhair.com or mylittlecustoms, there are others so shop around.

Paints anything that is acrylic the better brand you can go for the better, Folkart is a good brand as any.

Paintbrushes - a range including tiny ones if plan small detailed work and good for doing the eyes.

Sculpting - apoxie is well known, I personally use milliput as easier in UK, fimo and baked sculpties are different to use so it depends if you want air dry etc

Tools - Wire, tag ties and threads/needles for rehairing, highly recommend you read the linkies above to pick a method of rehairing and stock up ready!

Sealant - to seal painting down whether it be full body repaints or sealing detailed painting, highly recommended on here is Modge Podge if you can get it depending where from. Otherwise varnishes that are for use on acrylics, Dullcotes is a good other brand and these come in Matt, Satin, Gloss etc.

Glue - to seal hair ends though if get modge podge it is multiple use here.

There are many many other tools and you will build it up as needed, the community at large is fantastic at guiding to brands and tools needed so best of luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal