collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I have a new hobby...:)  (Read 3046 times)

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • May the 4th be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
Re: I have a new hobby...:)
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Immortal Panda- :lol: Yeah I'm gonna need it...and I second you on the media hype crap. It's sort of like how the media portrays most nerdy fanbases...as weird, sick and decrepit.  :| 

You're welcome, Sarahlacewing. :)

And yay, hyenacub!  :biggrin:
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 11:08:02 PM »
Oh Im a furry!!! I wear tail and ears and im working on a fursuit right now! feel free to message me if you want to talk Im always up for making new furry friends <3

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 08:45:50 AM »
Congrats!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
I learned something too! I thought furry was a sexual thing I didn't realize it was just for anthro fans too. :)

Most people think this because whenever you see interviews, it's hyper sensational and they only interview the loudest, grossest people they can find for interviews. The vast majority of furry fans are just normal people who happen to like anthropomorphic animals, and you'd never know unless they told you.

How does that saying go? A few bad apples spoil the bunch? yeah.

Thisthisthis!!!
I too am a furry, although I am more into the costuming side of things (I have been making fursuits for about a year now), and I rarely tell people because most people are so misinformed about furries. One of the common questions I get from older teenagers when I wear one of my suits is "Do you... y'know... have xxx... in that?". It makes me really sad.

Welcome to the furry community, Chocolatestarfire! :)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 11:27:37 AM »
Lots of furries are around these parts...  ;)  Not all of them are fur-verts either!  I agree with ImmortalPanda, a few over-enthusiastic people REALLY spoil the public perception of anthro-ness.  You're not alone by far though! 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 12:00:11 PM »
Thanks everypony for making me feel more welcome as a fur! :)  I will post some of my custom ponies to FA or maybe SF and pm me so I can find you and befriend you there, too! :D
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales

Offline EminentZephyr

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
These so called "fur suits" ...they aren't made out of real fur, are they?

I hope not! >.<

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
But I have posted some "other" stories and pics to create more of a draw for my works and really it's more for my bf's enjoyment than anyone else.

Guess everyone missed this bit then. Why on earth do you feel the need to post about this on a toy forum?

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »

I hope not! >.<
Nah it's more like a make your own mascot costume type thing.  the sort of materials you'd use for that.  Some of the heads are pretty fancy dancy
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »
I think that's cool.
When I was a kid I liked some cartoons with antrho characters (I guess that's because I (still) really love animals).
A few months ago I thought that furry thing was more like sexual orientation (like being attracted to animals) then hobby or fandom. I feel so stupid now  >_<

It can be hard to learn things correctly on the internet ^^;
This. Furries are hated almost everywhere on the net and the image of them is like my belief not so long ago. Internet can be very misleading. XD

Offline EminentZephyr

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »

I hope not! >.<
Nah it's more like a make your own mascot costume type thing.  the sort of materials you'd use for that.  Some of the heads are pretty fancy dancy

Oh well that's actually pretty relieving to know then, thank you! :)
I personally do not like the thought of fur being worn for fashion, or hobby.
...or whatever odd reason people could come up with. o.O

That's nice to know it is not usually actual fur being used most of the time! :)

A few months ago I thought that furry thing was more like sexual orientation (like being attracted to animals) then hobby or fandom. I feel so stupid now  >_<

LMAO!!! To be completely honest, me too. rofl :P

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this. :lol:

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 04:18:08 PM »
Guess everyone missed this bit then. Why on earth do you feel the need to post about this on a toy forum?

Sebby6-I felt it was okay to bring up my new hobby in the Off Topic section. I have also been a member of the Arena for a while, and I thought it would be good to let everyone know what I've been up to during my hiatus from the forums. If part of what I discussed offended anyone, I apologize and I will correct the post more if there is a need.

Yeah, a lot of people get the wrong idea when it comes to furry fandom, especially thanks to the media (NatGeo, CBS, FOX News, etc). The enjoyment of anthro art and stories and the creation of these things is another hobby of mine, and for me it is a hobby, not a lifestyle.

The intention of this post was to see if any members on the Arena were also into the furry fandom, and if I could make connections with them there also.  :lookround: I also wanted to share my furry art with you all, since the folks on the Arena have been supportive and kind to me in all the years I have been here. Again, if I confused anyone, I apologize.  :blush:

Post Merge: June 17, 2012, 04:34:52 PM

That's nice to know it is not usually actual fur being used most of the time! :)

EminentZephyr--despite not using real fur (which imo is more along the lines of taxidermy), fursuits (costumes of individual furry characters, or fursonas) are quite expensive and labor intensive. However, I find them interesting to look at and the creativity that goes into their design is intriguing...much like how I feel when I look at amazing custom MLPs by Darkhorse, LLL, Woosie, Colorscapesart, and Pop-Girl, just to name a few outstanding artists here. :D

When I was a kid I liked some cartoons with antrho characters (I guess that's because I (still) really love animals).

Quote from: Nonnavlis on June 15, 2012, 10:37:36 AM

It can be hard to learn things correctly on the internet ^^;

This. Furries are hated almost everywhere on the net and the image of them is like my belief not so long ago. Internet can be very misleading. XD

Defining a furry has become a subject of contention and debate, and the topics that surround the furry fandom--namely, the bond people share with animals, and the extent to which people express that bond in their artwork and stories as anthropomorphized characters--is often criticized, condemned and ridiculed. Until the definition of a furry becomes less kaleidoscopic, or until people in general begin to accept the fandom for what it is--another section of sci-fi/fantasy fans interested in anthro artwork, imho--it will be an uphill battle for those wanting to come forward as a furry and not be faced with a barrage of ignorant or angry Internet users.  :huh:

I wanted to share this with fellow ponies on the Arena simply out of, well, want to share!  :biggrin: Plus, if any of you are also furs, perhaps we can meet through other furry communities too.  ^.^
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:34:52 PM by ChocolateStarfire »
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales

Offline Tribble79

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
Well I am not really a furry or a fursuiter but I love anthro animals, anthro art and have a fursona of my own - though it's always changing. Always great to see artwork.

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
Congrats on getting out of the furrycloset and on finding a partner that not only understands but shares your interst!:D

• View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:51 PM »
Thanks tribble79 and tornadolovesmelody :D
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales