collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Which doll should I buy?  (Read 1764 times)

BowtieG1

• Trade Count: (0)
Which doll should I buy?
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »
Hi! I'm awful sorry if this is the wrong section.

I've never really been into modern dolls, mainly because of the horrendous body morals they promote, but I've caved and decided I want one, but I don't know which.

I've been considering Monster High, Novi Stars, Pinkie Cooper and Cutie Pops. Which would you recommend (personally I've been leaning towards Cutie Pops)

I really like making custom clothes for toys and just being able to make a toy my own is lovely. I do like the idea of Cutie Pops with the swappable hair, eyes and 'Pops'. But I also love the look and the gimmicks of the Novi Stars, the articulation of Monster High and just the aesthetic of Pinkie Cooper.

What would you guys buy? I am not looking to collect dolls, just having one or two to spice up my toy shelf would be fun!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Which doll should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 01:12:52 PM »
I caved too... and once started, it's pretty hard to stop. :)

Right now, I personally think the monster high dolls are the higher quality buy.  Better hair, better articulation, better design and creative clothing.  The newer boy monsters are great because of their articulated ankles.    I do love my Novi Stars but they aren't much fun for redressing.  Mostly, they're best for display.  I don't have any Cutie pops or Pinkie Coopers so I can't comment there.   You might also look at Ever After High.  They're very much like Monster High with a few differences in body size and face mold. 

Pullips are far more expensive but I think they can be a great buy if you really only want one or two.  Etsy has a ton of clothes for them and if you ever wanted to make your own, there would be a market.  Jdolls have Pullip bodies, so you could go that route too.

Oh, and Liv Dolls are also fantastic.  They have more articulation than even monster high, but they also have interchangeable wigs so one doll can look like several different dolls.  My collection is small but having the ability to switch things keeps me occupied.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:45:34 PM »
I love Cutie Pops dolls since you changed their hair and eyes and that you can decorate clothes to.
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »
I have many Monster high dolls, a few Novi Stars and 2 Ever After High dolls + a pullip! whooo

brightberry said pretty much what I will more or less say.

Monsters have pretty neat articulation, and some interesting character designs. It's expensive (or so) to get a lot of clothing for them, but people do sell clothes separately on ebay, etsy, mharena and here! You can also find lots of unique hand-made clothing on etsy.  You could easily have a closet of just clothes and make some yourself!

Ever after high dolls are from mattel as well, just human skin tones and the same articulation but the bodies are *slightly* bigger. thicker arms, wider hips, bigger heads. They are just starting out so I'm sure if you made clothes for them, there would be a lot of fans.

Novi stars do not pose well at all. Some have articulation in their leg/hip sockets, some don't and their arms only move at the shoulders for the most part. I do like looking at the few that I have.

Completely agree with Pullips! If you only want one or two, go for it. They are gorgeous, and I think they have a pretty good resale value. So in order to keep your inventory down, if you want batgirl instead of I dunno wonder woman you could definitely make back some money to do so.  They also do have quite a following on etsy with gorgeous wigs, eye chips :O if you dare, and beaaautiful clothing and shoes.

I do not have Pinkie Cooper or Cutie pops, but I'd have to pick Pinkie because she's so cute!

mickey

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
I vote for cutie pops! I love cutie pops!  They are so cute!  It is fun to change hair,eyes, and clothes on them.  I just got 2 new ones today the hattidute ones  I think names are Sydney and Bianca.  I have novi stars also but cutie pops are a lot more fun to play with, novi stars are more of a display doll I think.  MH dolls are really cool looking also.  Pinkie cooper dolls are so cute also- I have 3 of them.  I would put up pictures but I don't know how.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:22:40 PM by mickey »

Offline beajjai033

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • "It will all be worth it in the end."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:36:40 AM »
"I really like making custom clothes for toys"

I agree with the others, go for Pullips!  :cheer:
(My dolly is my avatar)
They are expensive but worth it, they are very nice to pose and really lovely. They are customizable in so many ways.
And yes their value doesn't really go way low, unlike deboxed Barbies & others.
You can check eBay for biddings, most of the less popular ones go for way cheaper than brand new :)

I'm really leaning towards Liv and want to buy one. I think they're pretty too, and have very nice articulation.

Good luck in choosing your dolly. Do let us know once you've decided, and pic spam please  ^.^

BowtieG1

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 04:46:18 AM »
I would really like to get a Pullip you guys, but it is just way out of my budget, if I could I would definitely get the Angelic Pretty Pullip but I just can't ;w;, even the cheap ones seem to be like £100.

A lot of you are saying Monster High... is there any sort-of pastelly monster high other than Abbey Bominable or Lagoona Blue? And is the one that looks like a skeleton flimsy at all?

Offline beajjai033

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:02:02 AM »
I would really like to get a Pullip you guys, but it is just way out of my budget, if I could I would definitely get the Angelic Pretty Pullip but I just can't ;w;, even the cheap ones seem to be like £100.

On a side note, if you don't mind preloved ones & just patient, some eBay listings ended super low. I wish I could show you the links, I've deleted those on my watch list.. Though here is one, a Dal if you don't mind :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pullip-Dal-Monomono-Doll-w-Bonus-Outfit-/171120209873?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=0GNGVUAdfZIQhwl1Oo6Aser%252FefA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Pullips I think are on the $60-$90 range.
Though I am quite apologetic to say that Angelic Pretty Pullips are kind of popular.

Offline TrixieStix

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 12:27:08 PM »

Aww the Angelic Pretty Pullips are adorable.

Similar dolls in hair color/style could be:
Vocaloid Megurine Luka Pullip (pink hair)
Kaname Madoka Dal Pullip (Pink hair, cute side ponytails!)

But with shipping those are expensive too! :( !!!

I agree with waiting and finding one at a great price, if its something you'd rather have. Maybe find one nude with the hair you like?

A lot of you are saying Monster High... is there any sort-of pastelly monster high other than Abbey Bominable or Lagoona Blue? And is the one that looks like a skeleton flimsy at all?

Draculaura has pink skin but dark hair. You could always reroot her with a lighter color. She's pretty cute and has a great face shape. Operetta has a light purple skin-tone but does have a *scar* design traced into her plastic..she looks good rehaired in pastel colors.

Skelita the skeleton, when first opened, does have strange knee joints. You need to move them slowly and gently a few times before they work really well, typically. Or warm the knee joints in hot water.

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »
If you want a cheaper pullip you should join the dolly market forum. It's a super friendly forum and great for finding good deals on used dollies ^^. It does take a little while to get access to the buying and selling part of it though. But a lot of people sell nude dolls and cheap wigs and clothes so it's highly recommended :D.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Offline beajjai033

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 02:27:20 AM »
If you want a cheaper pullip you should join the dolly market forum. It's a super friendly forum and great for finding good deals on used dollies ^^. It does take a little while to get access to the buying and selling part of it though. But a lot of people sell nude dolls and cheap wigs and clothes so it's highly recommended :D.

Ah, yes! I second that. You can even find sellers and people there within UK, so shipping can be less of a pain :)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 04:20:08 AM »
I highly suggest Cutie Pops! The newer lines even have more realistic eyes, and there are some really fun $10 dolls that were just recently released along with a line that's almost always $10 already released. I own 15 dolls, including 4 petities and 2 (original, with swappable ears/tails) dogs, and have plans to buy 5 more as soon as I get paid. If you have any questions about them, I can answer them. :)

They don't have very good articulation (what they do have is nice), but its been hinted that jointed elbow collector dolls will be released one day. Their changeable pops, eyes, and hair are so much fun; when I got my first Cutie Pop I spent around a month carrying her around constantly. I changed her eyes, pops, and hair over and over again (which so far has had not effect on their ability to stay in place, even if I shake her and hold her upsidedown) and had fun every time I did it. I don't remember having so much fun or loving a toy so much even when I was a child, and I'm 20!

I also second Liv dolls, if they interest you at all. Their articulation and posing abilities are amazing (better than Pullips, by far) and they are incredibly easy to 'customize' (eyes and wigs are super easy to change). You can even buy them non-Liv wigs and eyes (like those for BJDs) and since they can wear Barbie clothes they've got a nearly unlimited wardrobe to chose from.

Artsy Craftsy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 05:28:08 AM »
Just as a side note, if you really want a Novi Stars they are officially retired now and will never be made again (I do have a credible source, but not allowed to give it >.<)

BowtieG1

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 06:55:17 AM »
Just as a side note, if you really want a Novi Stars they are officially retired now and will never be made again (I do have a credible source, but not allowed to give it >.<)
That was worked out to be false in the Novi Star thread. They're at least still going strong here because I saw the Curl and Coil dolls for sale the other day and they still air the adverts.

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
If you do decided to buy a Cutie Pop doll I have a MIB Walmart Star and Popcorn set that I've been wanting to sell.
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal