collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what got you into MH?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
what got you into MH?
« on: November 02, 2012, 02:25:27 AM »
well, i keep looking at MH dolls, customs and "americas next top monster" from time to time.
it´s like wandering around the toy isle, seeing all the merch and dolls, but then leave them again. i´m not sure if i could really like them or not,

what got you into MH?

i heard about episodes(webisodes?) someone can watch online, is there a specific site for them?
and there already soo manyy character! O.O i don´t know which i should look closer to.

which was your first and who is your favorite character and why?

also, customs is what got me into ponycollecting. i´ve seen some remarkable MH customs already, but are there already MH-custom-tutorials out there? do one have to reroot the full head or are wigs an option too?

also i am not sure which characters i would like the best, i likes ghost-like girls so far, from the main cast it was lagoona. ^^but i think there aber more characters out there to like!

what still bugs me a bit about them is how thin they are, and that they all wearing absolute high heels. (or am i wrong? i don´t know them all!)
are there some dolls with flatter feet and a bit more chubby characters? especially girls?

the idea of mixing myths with students is awesome, i love that!
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Re: what got you into MH?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:51:35 AM »
Seeing Ponylady's beautiful Mad Science Lagoona which was/ maybe still is, her DP :)

That and watching ANTM Cycle 1 with all of Tuney's beautiful dolls, seeing his wolf pack, looking though Ravie's Flickr photos, I loved them all, and both of them are so creative, huge fan!

My fave character is Lagoona, always has been, but clawdeen is my other favourite.

Nefera has a longer and bigger busted torso as she is Cleo's older sister, she is *so far* the only girl with a larger torso.
There are no 'big' girls, they are all very skinny. I think all the girls wear either high heels or wedges, I can't think off the top of my head of any girls in flats.

As for rehairing, ravie is the pro, she could probably tell you more about it than I can.
As for tutorials, try DeviantArt, I found a great tutorial for customising MH dolls there, I only wanted to rehair a stripe of colour in my dollies hair :)

If you like the webisodes, youtube is your main place to watch them :) monsterhighwiki shows all the episodes that have been and will take place :)

As for boys, they're amazing, most common is probably GB Jackson, that excludes the create a monster vamp boy and gargoyle boy set that are relatively easy to find and quite reasonably priced. Most expensive is Gil, he retails for 60$+. :)

Hope I've been a help!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:44:02 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »
Looking at these forums got me into Monster High. My first dolls were the Create A Monster witch/cat set. My second was Draculaura as Snow Bite. After watching some of the episodes Abby Bominable is my favorite because I can relate to her personality and she is just so darn cute and funny.
I just search for the videos or look on youtube. There is also a show that comes on Nick.
There are some tutorials out there for customizing and making clothes etc. You can do reroot or wig. I do not know too much about reroots, but I've made two wigs for my create a monsters and enjoyed that.
I'm pretty new at customizing M.H. so I hope you can find some more help on the forums. There is a lot of information here which has helped me very much.
Crabgrass, the lunch lady and the headmistress are different than the main girl characters, but other than that I am not sure.
Their weight or feet do not really concern me :shrug:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 03:31:55 AM by WildBlue »

Offline bewilderness

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:35:57 AM »
I resisted MH for the first year.  I loved the fashions but $20 seemed like so much money to spend on a doll.  Then I saw Mad Science Lagoona in TRU one day and knew I'd eventually cave.  And boy did I! 

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:15:09 AM »
Mandy had an avatar from the webisode when they first came out (even before the dolls first hit the shelves) and with a little searching I found out all about the series and became instantly hooked. So I blame Mandy. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:45:43 AM »
I got into G4 MLPs through the Friendship is Magic show, and I started photographing them and posting them on Flickr, and I made contacts with other people who were doing it too and a bunch of them (like picklepud) also photographed MH dolls. They started to grow on me the more I saw them on Flickr.

The b&w Skull Shores Frankie and Nefera were my first two dolls. Frankie was originally my favorite, but I've got so many of them now, and I only collect the ones I like, so it would be too hard to pick a favorite now. I will say that I find some of them to be more inspiring in terms of photo ideas than others. Also, for what it's worth, I have more Frankies and Lagoonas than any other character (four each at the moment, although I will soon have five Frankies). I also have two Ghoulias and two Lalas, but otherwise I just have one of each character (and not even all of them at that).

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 04:59:03 AM »
Ultimately it was the Arena/Tuney's Cycle 1 of ANTM that did it /shakes fist.

But the whole tl;dr story of it GOES LIKE THIS~!

I was slightly interested in the dolls when they first started to come out and were flooding Walmarts. But I was a stubborn little girl and was all "Aw, the Vampire girl is cute... but I'm like 20, I don't like dolls. I didn't even like them when I was a kid!" and passed. And passed, and passed.

Then I got into ponies, joined here and lurked around a bit and saw the first cycle of ANTM and was completely and utterly and drawn in, but not enough to pull the trigger. Saw a Toralei at my Walmart during a shopping trip and nearly got her as I really liked the doll and never saw dolls at that Walmart... but I put her down in favor of us getting more food (despite my fiance harping at me that we would still be fine financially had I gotten her). Yeah, regretted that. >_____>;

I finally grabbed her off of eBay and started watching the shorts when I got her. And the rest is history. They don't stop multiplying~

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 05:01:35 AM »
The first time I saw them my husband and I were in toys looking at everything with our daughter and stopped by MH and both said "how cool are those?!". Then that Christmas my mother in law bought my daughter a Frankie doll and after that I started looking at the MH stuff in the Dollhouse and from there went and bought my first (and second) dolls... now nearly 70 later I can't stop!
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

isilra

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:17:21 AM »
I love the idea behind the Monster dolls! I like horror movies, myths and stories. But I also like girly things and fashion. When I was a child I loved Barbie dolls. So when I saw MH dolls I just couldn´t resist. At first I was only slightly interested. But looking at these forums and other collectors blogs really got me into MH. And finally I bought one: SS Draculaura (my avatar). And now I have 11. And more to come!

First my favorite dolls were Cleo and Choulia. Then my favorite doll was my cute Draculaura and now it is Rochelle. But from the episodes my favorites are Cleo, Abbey and Draculaura.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:20:15 AM by isilra »

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:51:52 AM »
It was all of you!!!  I followed Tuney's first season of Arena's Next Top Monster like a crazy peron:).  After seeing how beautiful these girls are in pictures, I literally fell in love. 

There are so many stunningly beautiful pictures here.  I'm totally blown away by you all. 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2012, 06:02:49 AM »
I loved these dolls right from the begining, but I was slow to start collecting. I bought my first doll, signature Frankie, around Christmas of 2010. I remember seeing the dolls in the display cases and thinking she was so cute, and of course I scoured all my local stores for months before finally finding her. It seems like that first christmas season Mattell had no idea how popular the dolls would be - it was much worse than things are now, there was literally not a single thing on the shelves anywhere.

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2012, 06:25:09 AM »
I kept staring at Dead Riding Hood...she is just so cool! And then on a flea market adventure, I found a signature Lagoona for $1. Now I have 6 dolls I think? Maybe 7... I am keeping the collection of dolls to a maximum of 10 at any given time, but I am a clothes and shoes nut! :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline DiamondDreams

• Trade Count: (+135)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2012, 07:38:27 AM »
I got into Monster High because of my daughter who is know 7  :blush:  about a year ago she asked for a doll for Christmas and coming from a child who used to have nightmares about vampires...asking for a vampire doll was a huge thing so I had to find out what was the fuss about.....  and um...yeah, it snowballed from there. 

you asked about custom tutorials- I've been slowly amassing links and printing stuff, collecting supplies, prepping bodies etc here in downtime. (like I have downtime!) I can't seem to find many of my links, but if you search on tumblr, and deviantart in particular for Monster High custom tutorial you should come up with some pretty good ones.  The one I'm most fascinated with at the moment because of her pictures of the step by step process is NoNaptime- here's the link to her tutorials :)  http://www.nonaptime.com/category/tutorial/

Vivcore's Dolly Daydream also does good picture guides :) http://www.vivcore.com/dolly_daydream/tutorials.html  Vivcore also has the distinction of being the one who has caused massive internet stir by making the Sweet 1600 and Ghouls Rule Ghoulias that many people thought were real Mattel releases and in making the Slow Moe that I want want want :) 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 07:40:42 AM by DiamondDreams »

Meow by Jamiefof, on Flickr

StormyRavenNeko

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01:57 AM »
My husband and I were out of town a few years back for our anniversary and prior to Monster High I had a huge sweet spot for My Little Ponies.  We were in TRU looking down the isles and saw these Monster High dolls, I thought they were so cute and unique.  This was way back when wave 1 originally dropped and there were no promos or anything to really promote them, I ended up walking out the door with the wave 1 Lagoona. <3 I originally intended to be a MIB collector but then the beds came out and that broke me, so now I collect loose ones for my table to display & MIB.  It gets expensive when brand new dolls are released though since they get bought in doubles.  @_@

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
I first discovered/ became interested in Monster High from that Draculaua/3.5 Pinkie Pie custom from forever ago. It amused me to no end, and I wanted to customize a doll. So VincentVJ and I used a $10 Kolh's cash and grabbed a GB Cleo for $4. My first actual doll was Cleo 2.0, because she looked so pretty, and my friend Mel saw Lagoona with her adorable freckles, so I said I'll get Cleo if you get Lagoona. A year later... and there are too many.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal