collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dumb things you did to your ponies as a kid  (Read 901 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb things you did to your ponies as a kid
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »
One of the wings of my Windy Wing pony, Cool Breeze, starting coming loose (from a lot of play), so instead of it falling off when I brought her somewhere to play (and possibly getting lost), I tore them off.  I couldn't have been more than six at the time.  I regretted it almost immediately - she's still one of my favorites of my childhood herd.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I did restore her with accurate repro wings as an adult though!  She was my first restoration.

Great job on the restoration.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2022, 12:26:30 PM »
Yup to the bathtub and pool...

As a kid my mom got me a Snowflake... (I think... definitely a blue Winter Series pony). Now. I normally took very good care of my ponies, but something possessed me to take this pony to school and to toss and catch her in the air during recess... I tossed her a bit... incorrectly... and she landed on the roof of one of the portable classrooms. :yikes: My pony was forever stuck on top of a roof! My mom replaced her eventually but no more ponies were to be taken to school...

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2022, 12:27:56 PM »
I used to use the clothesline in the backyard to launch my ponies into the air.

:lol:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2022, 12:49:47 PM »
I marked my ponies hooves with red permanent marker, since me and my sister used to quarrel over toys and I think it made it easier for my mom when She knew which toys belonged to each child ;) The first ponies my mom probably marked, but I remember that when I got Dream Castle for my birthday I wanted to do it myself. I was so scared that I would miss and mark Majesty on her body instead of under her hoof. So of course I did exactly that. One red permanent marker line across her tummy. I cried. I never liked poor Majesty because of that, so she ended up being evil. It was My 5th birthday. My mom marked all My other ponies until I was perhaps 8 or 9, and I got Summer Wing Skydancer. This time I used black pen, and of course. I ended up giving her a black spot on her foreleg. After that I stopped marking ponies altogether. Not even my mom were allowed near them with anything resembling a permanent marker :lol:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 12:53:35 PM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2022, 01:41:33 PM »
so many mohawks and forelock cuts. :( i'm sure i was well aware that a toy's hair never grows back, so i have no idea what inspired me to do it to so many poor ponies.

As a kid I hated the forelocks that would just flop in front of their faces and was very tempted to cut them. Thankfully I never did cut them, but just wet them down with water to try and make them flat. As an adult though, I'm okay buying a baby pony here and there if the forelock is a little cut (not totally cut off, but just a little shortened) if the price is cheap enough of course. The only thing I did to my G1 ponies was leave their hair braided for about 25 years. The G3's though, a couple of them I seriously hated the tinsel hair and I de-tinseled them.

Barbie however got attacked with hairspray. Poor Ice Capades Barbie. She had these big curls and they were starting to fall out so I took some hairspray and attacked her with it on a few occasions. She has very crunchy hair now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 01:49:45 PM by toyjunky »

Offline Kitcatepic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I've been living in the state of dreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2022, 06:48:38 PM »
Also I had adult Firefly and I think she was the first pony I had that I got the head to turn and pop off...which was fine until I played with them separately and lost the head.  Then later I found the head, but by then I had lost the body, too!
Oh my . . .
You played with a decapitated pony
long live chrysalis

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2022, 10:08:59 PM »
Actual childhood: probably taking my ponies in the pool and tub! Oh, their poor frizzed manes...

As a young collector/teen: putting in curls as I 'restored' them, then brushing through the curls. To make sure it wasn't tangled, duh! :lmao: Ironically, adding more tangles and frizz as I went.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2022, 02:06:31 AM »
As a young collector/teen: putting in curls as I 'restored' them, then brushing through the curls. To make sure it wasn't tangled, duh! :lmao: Ironically, adding more tangles and frizz as I went.

Around 2003 (when the Arena went live!) I was using eBay to collect Kenner LPS to add to my childhood collection. I was going to trade my ponies for LPS. When I looked up how to fix Raincurl's hair, I came across Dream Valley. Anyway, I did the same thing to Raincurl. I fixed her hair with straw curls and then combed them... it did not look good :lol:

What's funny is I wasn't able to get any trades for my ponies (I had my own website back then) and because of Dream Valley and learning about my childhood ponies, I got more into MLP.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 02:26:49 AM »
Aww, BlackCurtains! That's really cute! I'm so glad you didn't trade them! And LOL, poor Raincurl! Poor little Sparkle Baby Firefly ended up with these weird like, almost mini-finger waves, since I used a pipe cleaner for a curler and it didn't turn out right, and THEN I brushed it ... it was like a tiny perm. I think she still has those waves, a decade later. :lmao:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2022, 07:25:06 AM »
Cutting forelocks and brushing tails soooo hard they'd pop out or get really frizzy.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2022, 07:59:50 AM »
Another vote for taking ponies in the bath/pool...possibly even the lake...yikes! My Baby Surprise was my go-to, take-everywhere pony for the longest time; I'm really amazed that she cleaned up as nicely as she did for me. Her head is still intact, so I can't check her insides, but I shined a flashlight through her and can see no evidence of mould or tail rust inside of her.

A dumb thing I did as an adult (but not a collector yet), in 2009 or so, I had let my stepkids play with all my childhood ponies...80 or so of them...when they were with us on their summer visitation with us. When they went back, I decided to clean them up before putting them in storage indefinitely. So I filled up the laundry utility sink and just dumped them all in there before individually shampooing and conditioning their hair, not thinking about water getting inside them. Then I took them all out and spread them in the sun to dry without regard to what damage the sun could do. Then once they were dry, I braided each of their tails into a twist and secured them with a thin, neon rubber hair tie, thinking I was preserving their hair for storage. When I got them out a decade later, the hair ties were dry-rotted to bits in their tails, and the ends of the twisty braids were super frizzy. Thankfully, despite their unfortunate dunk in the laundry tub, no evidence of mould/rust was present.

Offline SweetNightmare

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • **•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*uᴥu *•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙*
    • View Profile
    • My Carrd.co
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2022, 08:10:29 AM »
I don't think that most things that I did with my ponies were that bad, I was aware that I can't write, cut permanently damage my ponies. That being said I did end up asking my mum to cut my Sparkleworks tail a bit (because it was tangled and I didn't know how easily you could fix that) and same with my Sunny Daze but that one always had terrible hair and it started to disintegrate :cry:

The worst thing that I did was probably getting rid off my hair accessories that my g2 Buttercup (Dragonfly), they were just these flower's with velcro that you would put in pony's hair and I think that I threw these away as soon as I got my pony, because I didn't like them.
Also since the pony had "changeable hair" gimmick her tail was secured with just an elastic, after it got damaged all the hair came out and I just threw it away (at that point I was way too old to do that), so now she still has no tail (it's an easy fix but I just didn't buy hair yet).
**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚visitors can't see pics , please register or login
˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

My Checklist || My Wishlist || My Carrd.co
Signature by  starscout

Offline Rainlove The Pegasus

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2022, 12:33:07 PM »
Basically I have cut a G3 Aurora Mist and Swirlypop both mane and tails. Oh and a G3 Cherilee i snipped off the dry ends. G4 I have cut off some of my plush manes and tails. And almost all my ponies manes and tails. Looking to replace all pony merch that has snips on the manes and tails later down the road. I regret doing it to this day.  :cry:
Rainlove
The
Pegasus

Sig by Starscout!

Offline Squirtsquirt

• Trade Count: (+235)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2022, 05:49:55 PM »
I have a few of my ponies with hairstyles that have been there for decades.  I wanted Majesty to look like a queen, so I braided parts of her mane and tail and wrapped the rest of the hair...it looks really nice still, but to take the braids out now means she'll have incurable curly hair.  I also left the saddle and bridle on Lemon Drop...OOPS!  We know now that will damage the pony, and my original Lemon Drop has the pink stains on her body.  I also played with Twilight and Firefly in the Waterfall, and now their symbols are almost gone.  I did get replacements for all of them, but I kept the originals, as they are the ones that fell victim to a child's love.    :lovey:

I took much better care of my later ponies, and most of them still look pristine.  Hopefully storage hasn't damaged them, and I need to get them in to look.  I don't play with them anymore, and they have been packed away for years, but the memories are still there and very precious to me.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:51:58 PM by Squirtsquirt »
Thanks to Whippetluv for my awsome persona pony!!

Offline Kitcatepic

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I've been living in the state of dreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »
I don't think that most things that I did with my ponies were that bad, I was aware that I can't write, cut permanently damage my ponies. That being said I did end up asking my mum to cut my Sparkleworks tail a bit (because it was tangled and I didn't know how easily you could fix that) and same with my Sunny Daze but that one always had terrible hair and it started to disintegrate :cry:

The worst thing that I did was probably getting rid off my hair accessories that my g2 Buttercup (Dragonfly), they were just these flower's with velcro that you would put in pony's hair and I think that I threw these away as soon as I got my pony, because I didn't like them.
Also since the pony had "changeable hair" gimmick her tail was secured with just an elastic, after it got damaged all the hair came out and I just threw it away (at that point I was way too old to do that), so now she still has no tail (it's an easy fix but I just didn't buy hair yet).
Disintegrating pony hair? That's A new one
long live chrysalis

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal