collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Independence Referendum
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 08:19:08 AM »
Thanks Kaoskat. You're right, there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the way the UK government has been running things. The last UK general election was a bit of a joke. Most people north of the border voted either Labour or Liberal Democrats whilst the south voted Conservative. This maps highlights the difference between the two countries! - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/. The was a hung parliament which ended with the Conservatives and Lib Dems creating a coalition (and the Lib Dems reneging on almost all of their campaign promises, such as maintaining free university education).  :mad:

In the last few years the number of people in poverty and on extreme low pay or zero hour contracts has increased, and the government has been making many cuts to public services and selling off others. Scotland is already somewhat insulated from these changes because they have a devolved parliament and decision making on spending of their allotted funds. For example, Scottish kids still get a free university education whilst kids in England don't. But Scotland is still limited and affected but the general cuts and UK wide policies, which, coming from an essentially Conservative government which they didn't vote for, is understandably frustrating.

The final results in the referendum were 55% to 45% and the polls were neck and neck right up to the finish. I've been listening to a lot of interviews with no voters to try and understand, and many seem to have voted no because they were worried that Scotland wouldn't do well economically and that we wouldn't be able to keep the pound. But most of those people also aren't happy with the UK government and would have backed more devolution for the Scottish government. The UK politicians are currently making promises of more power, but I'm not sure how much they'll deliver. But then I am still smarting from being betrayed by the Liberal Democrats in 2010.  -_-
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 08:46:08 AM »
Hugs to all the Scots today  :hug: I really have no right to an opinion as I am an American but I admit I was partly rooting for Independence. However,  part of me is glad its staying with the UK. There's a lot of threats of secession here and part of me was worried that a 'yes' result would have a domino effect. Still, I am glad you guys got the chance to vote for it. It was so close that I'm sure the UK lawmakers are squirming.

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
Time will tell if Cameron makes good on his promises to you all. I really hope he does! :hug:

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
I didn't have a horse in this race, i.e., I wasn't "rooting" for any particular outcome. But I guess I'm sad for those who are sad. :hug: I was impressed, however, at the turn-out. :stunned: If only we'd see that kind of turn-out for Canada and USA.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 10:45:23 AM »
I am seriously gutted as well Whippy. I expected to be disappointed but I honestly did not expect to be as upset as I am about it. :( So hugs for you.

And thank you so much to everyone for the understanding on both sides :) If nothing else we are fortunate to be able to take part in such a vote; very few places in the world get to so firmly and democratically choose their future. I do think we need some time to heal some wounds and hurt up here and as long as politics from outside Scotland try not to interfere I am sure everything will be nicely worked out.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Ainsel

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 02:58:41 PM »
I'm happy to read such comprehensive comments in here about the referendum: many people took part in it and, whether the vote was for a yes or for a no, it shows how much people care about the country.
I'm English, but I love our UK and I see it under one flag, so I'm glad you didn't left us, even if I understand why Scotland wanted to be independent... Westminster doesn't work pro England either, not for the common people at least, so if I was in your shoes, I would have probably voted yes as well.

Let's see what will happen next... the 2015 elections are close...

Sprintex

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 02:26:40 AM »
You're right, there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the way the UK government has been running things. The last UK general election was a bit of a joke. Most people north of the border voted either Labour or Liberal Democrats whilst the south voted Conservative. This maps highlights the difference between the two countries! - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/. The was a hung parliament which ended with the Conservatives and Lib Dems creating a coalition (and the Lib Dems reneging on almost all of their campaign promises, such as maintaining free university education).  :mad:

In the last few years the number of people in poverty and on extreme low pay or zero hour contracts has increased, and the government has been making many cuts to public services and selling off others. Scotland is already somewhat insulated from these changes because they have a devolved parliament and decision making on spending of their allotted funds. For example, Scottish kids still get a free university education whilst kids in England don't. But Scotland is still limited and affected but the general cuts and UK wide policies, which, coming from an essentially Conservative government which they didn't vote for, is understandably frustrating.

Without wishing to get into a protracted political debate here let's not forget it was the last Labour Government's reckless spending and the borrowing they did to fund it that got us into the mess that the current Coalition Government is now having to sort out by making massive cuts ;)

Paul

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 04:02:54 AM »
To be honest, ever since 'New Labour' in the 90s we have never had a true Labour party. They have all been favouring the rich at the expense of the common man. Part of the reason for the deficit is a failure to close the massive tax loopholes abused by corporations. Instead of making big business pay up, we're losing out even more by bailing them out with our taxes whilst we're suffering ridiculous cuts to public services.  :mad:  I had hoped the Lib Dems might represent a more genuinely liberal choice, but then they shacked up with the Conservatives too. So it's more of the same. At least there is a growing awareness and backlash against the political and economic status quo. So that gives me some hope.  :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline werepuppy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2014, 04:27:04 AM »
Only semi related to independence... more due to the fall out but did anyone see the news about what was happening in Glasgow last night? That sort of behaviour just demeans all sides of the discussion, and makes everyone look bad.

Also: regarding the 2015 election; my only thought lends itself towards getting rid of Cameron. He isn't an officially elected Prime Minister, he should never had been in the position he's in. I may not think much of the Labour party at the moment - it's not the party my grandparents supported anymore - but at least they seem to be thinking towards making a working wage.

Whippycorn's right. There's a growing awareness towards the political and economic status quo, which is a great thing to see.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2014, 06:15:48 AM »
To be honest, ever since 'New Labour' in the 90s we have never had a true Labour party. They have all been favouring the rich at the expense of the common man. Part of the reason for the deficit is a failure to close the massive tax loopholes abused by corporations. Instead of making big business pay up, we're losing out even more by bailing them out with our taxes whilst we're suffering ridiculous cuts to public services.  :mad:  I had hoped the Lib Dems might represent a more genuinely liberal choice, but then they shacked up with the Conservatives too. So it's more of the same. At least there is a growing awareness and backlash against the political and economic status quo. So that gives me some hope.  :)

Bolded by me

This is largely my thing on it all and part of the reason I wanted the yes - it was a chance for something different. Sure we still have Labour, Lib Dems and Torys north of the border but forcing them to be truly Scottish Labour, Scottish Lib Debs and Scottish Torys was only ever going to be a positive thing.

The nonsense going on in Glasgow last night was so upsetting. But at the same time, already seeing the back tracking going on - the things we were promised for the last 2 weeks now starting to be removed from the table is more than a little upsetting. Its Westminster politics - from all 3 parties - at their worst and it makes the closeness of the vote less surprising.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
What happened in Glasgow?? I can't find any news on it. Everyone's ok right?

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Whippycorn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-29288249

I think it was mainly groups of guys from each side spoiling for a fight, which had to be dispersed and a few were arrested. But it is really a minority example, most people I know have just accepted the results in good faith.
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2014, 11:30:58 AM »
I'm half Scottish and live in England, so I'm glad the 'no' vote won.

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2014, 10:30:20 PM »
well I'm an American and have no say really but I was kinda crossin my fingers for independence. *hugs to all of you no matter which way you voted*
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 10:35:00 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Sparkly_Sherbert

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2014, 07:00:42 AM »
I think Yorkshire should become independent of all the rest of you  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal