collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tattoo Talk  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Tattoo Talk
« on: April 21, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Hi there everyone! I'm toying around with the idea of getting a tattoo but of course, I have no idea what I would even get. And I have a bunch of questions for those of you that have them :blush:

How did you decide on a tattoo? What does it represent/what is it's meaning? How old were you when you got your first one? Do you have a tattoo you regret getting? Do you have a favorite tattoo? Have you gotten matching tattoos with someone else?

Pictures are encouraged! :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Tattoo Talk
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:49:20 AM »
To answer your questions:

1. I decide on mine pretty randomly, honestly, but I make sure they're things I love and can live with, like beautiful pieces of artwork, animals, etc.
2. Some of mine have deep backgrounds (like my lucky cat - my grandfather collected statues of them; my mockingbird represents my two states, Tennessee and Texas.)  Others have mostly aesthetic value.
3. I was 15 when I got my first one.  I no longer have that one, though.
4. See above.  It was badly done and I had it removed since it was solid black and hard to cover.  Painful, and so not worth going through.
5. My favorite is my Sarasvati half sleeve.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

6. Yes, with my bestie.

Some more pics for posterity:
Spoiler

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:56:55 AM by Eviecorn »

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »
Yay, tats! One of my favourite topics :biggrin:

I was... 21 or 22 when I got my first one (I'll be 28 in July). I have four now, one of which I added to so it's kinda like having five. Sort of. I am planning more (I am always planning more). I decided on them each for different reasons, they tend to have to have a very strong personal meaning for me to want them permanently on my skin, and a lot of my tats are writing. So much so I've put myself on a person ban from getting more with words, my next one has to be a picture!

I have no regrets when it comes to them. Some days I look at them and think, well maybe I wish I didn't have that, but I think it's the same with a lot of things. You change your mind a bit but... they represent moments in time for me. So I never regret them long-term, because they represent who I used to be, and who I still am. I'm not sure how much sense that makes.

I don't have any tattoos that I got with someone else. I am not sure I can imagine doing that tbh.

I go through a process with deciding on my tats. I generally have a bit of a think about them, like I'll come up with an idea and then I'll let it settle for a period of time. That way I can see if I go off it. A recommendation I got from a friend is that if you find a picture or a drawing or whatever that you like, stick it on the wall next to your bed. That way you'll see it every day and you can decide if you want it on you permanently.

I'm going to stop blathering on now  :lol: Hope I kind of helped.

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline LadyStarCatcher

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 10:53:13 AM »
I have three tattoos. I was 24 when I got my first one on my chest. I designed it at work doodling. Haha. Decided I wanted it. Its a heart and crown. Very simple with simple elegant filligree. Had the money. Was 27 for my second on my arm. Gir from invader zim. And 28 when I got my ankle one which is glory's symbol. I love all my tattoos. I have five others planned. But it depends on your pain tolerance, the artist doing it, and many other factors. It's weeks of healing and care. And some people have allergic reactions. Two of my tattoos scared. One you can't tell, but the other I'll have to have redone. Sorry I don't have pictures to share. But hopefully this helps some. Good luck!

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »
i have a number of tattoos. it's easier to count hours in the chair than it is to count individual tattoos.

i was 19 when i got my first one, a small quarter-sized hyper-realistic ladybug on my left foot, above my ring? toe. i wanted that in the exact placement because i had wanted since childhood. i love and collect ladybugs, and my grandmother even called me her little ladybug.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »
lol i've wanted tattoos since i was tiny lol so far i only have one, but i love it and it's been something i'd been working on for years, but came to fruition with the advent of Metalocalypse and Dethklok.  long story short, i have the dethbrand gear between my shoulder blades. i love metal, i love dethklok, my grandfather, who has now passed away, was an unbelievable tinkerer of all things and when crap really started hitting the fan for me as a teen he pulled me aside and said 'no matter how small ans insignificant you feel, you are a piece of something bigger ..."

i do not regret it, okay maybe only in that it took so long to get it lol

but yeah you have to figure out what YOU want ... something with love and meaning for YOU ... that's the important thing ... YOU ... not someone else ... not a fad ... not something you just came into the last year or two even ... something that has been in you forever ...

ETA: as for pain, meh ... feels like a bee sting tht lasts forever lol the bonier the area, the worse it feels, sine is NOT fun, you get used to it on one side then WHAM! hello other side! lol healing can be the downside ... scarring can happen and if you have problems with scar tissue/healing i sadly do not recommend tatts ... friend of mine had a scarring thing where he scars from ANYTHING and his pierced ear and tatt did NOT go very well ... A&D ointment when the tatt is frsh for the week/week and a half, keep it goopy, DO NOT SCRATCH/ITCH/SCRUB/LET IT DRY OUT. careful showering with it ... and use lotion to keep it soft/moist for the next week/week and a half after the A&D ...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:09:31 PM by kamakazee82 »
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
1. All of my tattoos mean something to me. Or represent something important in my life.

2. I was 18, that's a legal age here in Wisco.

3. I do not regret any. But there are some I wish I could move to a different area.

4. My favorites are portraits of two of my deceased dogs and a portrait of a Himalayan rabbit.

5. Yes, I have two friends with a similar tattoo to one of mine, in different colors.

I really do not have photos of mine, never have. Heh.

I have slept during a lot of my tattoos. However, depending on where the tattoo is, you may have to be in an uncomfortable position for a long time.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
well i  have always  loved my tattoos. i  rp a lot and my   char that i use  has this beautiful birthmark. and i had always wnate dto get it tattooed.  well i wa scared so i thought i'd start with soemthing simple. I was told that the best palce to get your first one  is your ankle. it int hat  tender.  the worst place is your ribs. 

I  have 12 tattoos and i plan to get more1   its a bit addicting.  I   dont really share tatttos with anyone..  i have a couple tattoos that have meaning.  one a field mouse becuaes  my  nick growing up was mouse becuase i have a vocal tick that makes me "sqeak" like a mouse.

my  fav tattooo would be my  blue  swiss cheese  cresent moon! i loveit... it is gorgous. it  even has a small mouse  bite taken out..  and then  later on i got my  little "hamlet mouse"   and he  just fits in perfectly. 

I dont  regret any of them.. i just regret not getting more..  i have a few memorials i plan on getting.  but one i wish i could have changed  the one i wnated the most insread of a moon it looks like pac man ><

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 08:37:48 PM »
Wow, these are all great answers! Thank you all for the answers and the tips :) I have come up with one or two ideas that I really like (nothing major) so I'll spend the next several days giving it some serious thought.

And Eviecorn, your tattoos are all gorgeous! I really like the bird and your half sleeve, they're so detailed!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:50:21 PM by Sprinkles »
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

allhallowsevepony

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 09:24:52 PM »
I don't have any tattoos and don't really ever plan on getting one. But - if I ever do - because of MLP I now at least know where on my body I'll get it (read: cutie mark).
:devious:

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
I have 6 tattoos and I do regret two of them - One would be ok if it wasn't so badly done (I blame myself for not being more perceptive of what was going on when the design was shown to me before it was inked), but the other I just wish would go away. It is large, was never even finished, and is in a horrible location. I plan to get it covered by something a little nicer sometime in the future.
I'm happy with my others, especially the smallest one on my finger and the UV design on my wrist. I've discovered that it can work very well at getting me into theme parks for free, lol.

I got my first one at 18 right before I started studying veterinary medicine, and it's doggie pawprints on my shoulder.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 11:50:06 PM »
I have two tattoos...

One that I love so much, and means the world to me. I designed and drew it myself, and to top it off, it was FREE (yes, amazing, about a $400+ tattoo, its nice having tattoo artist friends)
It's on my lower back so, technically a "ttramp stamp" but... I don't think it is.
It's a Shovelnose sturgeon (Well technically it looks more like a Shortnose/Shovelnose hybrid)

My other one is on my wrist and I'm actually going to get it changed but... I'm not saying much about it.

I don't regret it, but I wish I put more thought into it, and I wish it had been done by the same person (this artist was not a friend, and NOT as good)

Both photos were taken RIGHT after being done. None of them scabbed or scarred at all. I had no issues with healing.

How I decided? The sturgeon is my world, my passion, my job - I worked with them for a time and I want to again... it's gorgeous and beautiful and original (to me). There was no question about wanting it. I also didn't want it RIGHT in anyone's face. I wanted it to be kind of big, so my back was the only place...

Definitely planning on getting more in the future. But, they're forever. So I think ALOT about them. Been years since I got my first one, but I was like 23 when I got my sturgeon. :)
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
I have none but best of luck choosing!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
I have 4 tattoos and i want more. I am not getting any new tough yet, since im a student and they cost alot. Maby newxt year or so. :biggrin:
Good luck with choosing the tattoo.

Thank you :heart:

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 01:44:41 AM »
I go with the ten year rule. Ten years ago, what would you have gotten a tattoo of? Is it the same thing you'd get a tattoo of today? If so, then it's probably okay to get that tattoo.

I have a blag about ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal