collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ~Hot Cocoa Storytime thread!~  (Read 1445 times)

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
~Hot Cocoa Storytime thread!~
« on: November 29, 2015, 04:27:48 PM »
:snowing: :read: "We heated some whole milk on the stove top. The powdered cocoa mix rested in our mugs, waiting. Slowly the milk warmed, then became hot. Stirring gently, we poured the creamy liquid into the mugs. With marshmallows floating like 'bergs in the sea, we sipped. The mugs warmed our hands, the cocoa warmed our tummies, and love warmed our hearts." :coffee:

What is your favorite cocoa recipe? Do you use milk or water? Powder mix or liquid chocolate? I'm interested in exploring the world of cocoa this winter season!

Share your recipes and BONUS for sharing pictures of ponies with cocoa, or similarly themed ponies!

In between, tune in tomorrow for the continuing story of "Hot Cocoa, Warm Hearts"!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:01:06 PM by ponyqueen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
Re: ~Hot Cocoa Storytime thread!~
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:07:24 PM »
Milk, always!  I grew up drinking ovaltine in milk.  But for special occasions, Mom would take the good chocolate (we used Ghirardelli), mix it with milk on the stove top, put in some vanilla extract, and then let marshmallows melt on the top.  We'd ladle that into our mugs.  YUMMY!

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:18:58 AM »
Milk, always!  I grew up drinking ovaltine in milk.  But for special occasions, Mom would take the good chocolate (we used Ghirardelli), mix it with milk on the stove top, put in some vanilla extract, and then let marshmallows melt on the top.  We'd ladle that into our mugs.  YUMMY!

Okay like this is what I need to know! What kind of milk? (Skim, 1%, whole?) And what ratios? Like a tablespoon of "good" chocolate to 1 cup milk, or do we just test as we go along? I like the sound of adding vanilla extract, too!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »
That's one thing I cant really have unless I melt in a special kind of chocolate or try to mix up some cocoa powder and sugar, though that can get a weird texture.

Ive been either warming up milk plus nesquick of all things, or just making tea :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
When I want it done real, I heat up a couple of tablespoons of milk in the microwave in a cup. Then I add three teaspones of good quality cacao powder and the same amount of sugar and stir until it's lump free. Then I add more milk and put it back in the microwave for a minute or two. Done.

If I want to cheat I mix some cocoa powder with cacao and add hot milk.

For a luxury version I'll add whipped cream and marshmallows at the end.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »

Okay like this is what I need to know! What kind of milk? (Skim, 1%, whole?) And what ratios? Like a tablespoon of "good" chocolate to 1 cup milk, or do we just test as we go along? I like the sound of adding vanilla extract, too!

I have no idea what the chocolate to milk ratio was.  Mom probably just eyeballed it, lol.  But we always had either 1% or 2% milk in the house, so it was one of those.  Probably 2%. 

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline Dainty

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SHS collector ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 07:20:15 PM »
I don't have any specific recipe for my hot cocoa :blush: I just add the cocoa and if it doesn't taste chocolatey enough I add more :lol: But I always do ummmm milk with cocoa powder and sugar, and a little vanilla extract. You just have to fiddle around with the ratios depending on how sweet/chocolatey it is ;)

And I like to add stuff, like peppermint extract (or those mint cremes with the christmas trees on them are good melted in) or lavender or chili oil if I feel adventurous! Lol I might get some orange extract and try that soon because orange hot cocoa sounds so good.

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 07:46:19 PM »
I have been experimenting a LOT with hot chocolate at work lately (it's been a slow month, I like to think of it as practicing my barista skills :lol:). I've currently settled on steaming chocolate milk with chocolate flakes and a hazelnut shot mixed in, I've been obsessed for the past week. Been thinking of adding in some cinnamon and whipped cream next time too. :coffee:

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »
:snowing: :read: "It was only the second night when disaster struck. A rogue snowstorm buried the village in several feet of fluffy white powder, but that wasn't the disaster- it was the cavernous depths of the icebox, issuing echoing cries of emptiness... the milk was gone. Flurry simply loved winter, but even she was hesitant to venture forth to seek this essential hot cocoa ingredient in the evening's blizzard. Night had fallen, and should she become lost... she shivered to think of getting buried in a snow drift, her tissue paper wings soggy then frozen to a crisp.

But the allure of the drink was strong, and her companion would not return for hours to come... perhaps, if she went quickly... Her eyes darted to the scarf and mittens hanging by the fire."

Waaah! We ran out of milk today and used water + half & half. It wasn't bad. Actually, it was quite good! I think tomorrow I'll get a gallon of 1% at Costco.

Steaming the milk! Now there's a great idea!

I want to try adding vanilla as suggested, and I'm also curious how cocoa would take using almond or coconut milk... anyone ever try it?

Tune in next time for the continuation of the exciting fireside story, "Hot Cocoa, Warm Hearts"!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 05:34:44 AM »
I actually really love to melt good quality Belgium chocolate straight into milk on the stove.  Best hot chocolate you can get that way.  Unfortunately, I have developed an intolerance to lactose in the past year, so I can't really have it any more without terrible consequences.

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
I actually really love to melt good quality Belgium chocolate straight into milk on the stove.  Best hot chocolate you can get that way.  Unfortunately, I have developed an intolerance to lactose in the past year, so I can't really have it any more without terrible consequences.

Me too- lactose intolerance. I've found taking two lactase pills right before consuming dairy helps, but it's easier to just not have dairy than remember to take the tablets. Or just throw caution to the "wind" and deal with a gurgley tummy...

This is why I asked about using almond or coconut milk!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 04:25:09 AM »
My favorite cocoa was at the Joe Muggs in the bookstore in the mall. It doesn't exist anymore. :sad:

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 06:48:18 AM »
:snowing: :read: "Flurry donned her hat, scarf and booties, and began thinking warm thoughts before stepping out of the cabin and into the storm. 'Cool Breeze's tropical island! Sunbathing with the Sundazzle Ponies! Pool party with the Paradise Baby Ponies! ...okay, here I go!'

Just then the door burst open and what could only be the legendary Yeti trudged inside, followed by snow minions. Flurry gasped, the creature shook, and snow plopped onto the floor- revealing Marshmellow Coco.

'You're home!' Flurry cheered, and Marshmellow smiled, her cheeks warming to a rosy blush.

'And,' Marshmellow said, 'I brought milk!'"

[images from strawberryreef.com]

I made cocoa with unsweetened vanilla almond milk last night- it was really good! I heat the liquid on the stove-top, and I think the almond milk does a much better job not scorching if I turn the heat up and extra click. Still haven't tried bar chocolate, though, still powder. Perhaps tonight!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 10:15:32 AM by ponyqueen »

Niwalime

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
Yay! This makes me crave some good hot chocolate! :joe:
We usually make hot chocolate with wholemilk? (I'm not sure if this is the right word, full fat milk..?) 2-3 teaspoons of 100% Cacao powder and 2 teaspoons of sugar (depending on how strong/sweet chocolate you want) for 1 mug of hot chocolate. Personally I think chocolate goes well with coffe, so I sometimes put a bit of instant coffee powder (1 teaspoon or less) in my chocolate.
I add the ingredients to a saucepan and heat it slowly on the stove, stiring with a whisk if there are any lumps of cacao powder. If I feel like it, I might add some cream on top, but I usually just top it of with powdered cinnamon and/or cardamom ^_^ :heart:

I love the idea of adding some vanilla as well :)

[UPDATED]
So I made some hot chocolate and Flurry came to join me and mr Snowman mug! :heart:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:14:58 PM by Niwalime »

Offline ponyqueen

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:53 PM »
Niwalime! Thank you for posting such a cute picture!

:snowing: :read: "When Marshmellow Coco stamped her hooves, more snow collapsed to the floor. While she turned toward the small kitchen to set her saddle bags on the counter, Flurry brushed the snow back outside and added another bundle of twigs to the stove. Flurry then rushed to see what would come out of the saddle bags- Marshmellow always brought home something special!

'Here's the milk!' Marshmellow said as she pulled out several glass bottles. Flurry tried to peek her nose under the saddle bag flap while Marshmellow put the bottles in the ice box.

'And here are some spiced oats for breakfast tomorrow,' she said, nudging Flurry toward the cupboard. 'Won't you get the mugs and cocoa from the pantry?'

Flurry smiled. 'Of course! Then I will tell you a secret I learned while you were out today!'"

So a couple nights ago I tried making cocoa the way you guys talked about- on the stove, and mixing the cocoa into the milk while it's heating. Then I did something pretty amazing- I stirred in a spoonful of NUTELLA! You gotta try it! It was soooooo creamy, but you really can't use too much. It's really rich.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal