collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yard Sale Pet Peeves  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Yard Sale Pet Peeves
« on: July 07, 2013, 08:00:20 AM »
There are very few things that unsettle me, but yard sales bloopers are one of them...

1.  People who leave up their signs so that you bike five km down a street only to discover and empty driveway  :shocked:

2.  People who set up signs ALL over the city, without arrows... so that you go down a street assuming the yard sale is there, only to realize that it's 15 km away.  In the opposite direction.  Umm... you do realize people don't have googlemap implanted in their brains yet, yah?

3.  People who maliciously set up yard sale signs that lead to dead ends in the middle of corn fields.
  I grew up in the yard sale capital of Ontario  :lookround:  It happens.

What are your yard sale pet peeves?

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Yard Sale Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:18 AM »
I'll be on the opposite end here but one would be:

folks who have $13.00 worth of stuff and expect you to cash a $100.00 or a $50.00... with it being freshly just opened. Do I look like the first national bank?

This has been discussed in another thread on here but Outrageously overzealous early birds.

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 08:11:14 AM »
... those ...

... and no prices ...

... and no one tending the sale (uh how do i pay, yet alone, who? lol)

.. when jerks try to pay for like a few dollars of stuff with a large bill ... it doesn't have to be my sale and i wanna smack those people and scream at the sale person for taking it and usually getting duped with a fake bill ...

... saying 'antiques' when EVERYTHING is new except the one broken floor lamp that they scavened out of the abandoned house next door ...

saying 'HUGE SALE" and it's one or two teeny tiny tables ...
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
I agree with Mismatch!  I'm starting to think my solution to people leaving their signs up is going to be to walk up to the door and knock, and then proclaim "I'm here for your yard sale!"

BlondePonyTail

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »
When sellers price their items WAY too high... it's a YARD SALE!

Sadly, Yardsales here are hit and miss... mostly miss for ponies. I have much better luck at FLEA MARKETS!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:49:14 AM »
Aww, soo sad to see soo much negativity, though I can defiantly relate with quite a few of these.

Yard sales can be fun too..try to turn a negative into a positive. And get to know your bartering skills xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

BigHicks1977

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 10:12:42 AM »
My biggest pet pev is when they post on Craigslist and say they have toys you drive to BFE!!!! and its ONE toy and not even a good toy like a dirty sock monkey or something AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH lol next

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
No prices. Bugs the heck out of me.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »
Most of these will be repeats of what others have said...

1. People who don't take their signs down or put them up days before their sale.  I've seen signs left up for months!  This is usually combined with #2. 

2. Signs you can't possibly read from a moving car (tons of small print).  Signs should not be up if the sale is closed; so all that really needs to be there is an arrow and maybe an address, but if for some reason a sign is up longer than that the date and time need to be readable.  (There's never a reason to put a list of everything in your sale on a tiny little sign, and ball point pen is generally not readable from a car.)

3. No prices.  If there's no price listed, I'll assume they want $20 for something I'm only willing to pay 50 cents for, and I won't bother asking unless I really want it (and then it's usually too much and I end up leaving it anyway).  When I do ask, I hate getting "Make me an offer" or similar since I have no idea whether they're reasonably priced on anything let alone what they're thinking for that particular item.

4. Pages printed out from Amazon or eBay (these are always starting prices with no bids or BIN - never, ever sold items) trying to justify their high prices.  A variation is when they just tell you they looked it up online and that was the price.

5. People who forget to put important information in their ads - like day and time but the grand prize goes to an ad I read last week that didn't give any indication as to where (not even what area of town let alone the street).

On the other side of things - pushy buyers trying to get people to lower their prices an unreasonable amount.  I've seen people trying to get a seller who already came down to half price on an already reasonably priced item to come down to half (or even less) of that.  (I've been seriously tempted to walk up and buy it out from under them in those cases.)

Thankfully, there are sellers who do it right - large easy to read signs to follow, all items clearly and reasonably priced, and ads that give all the pertinent information.  I love those sales even when I don't find anything I want to buy at them.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 11:52:42 AM »
I haven't had a yard sale since the last time where people just openly stole stuff.  I mean, most of it was useless crap, but I would have binned it if I didn't put it in the yard sale.  People.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline BrightIdea

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:33:48 PM »
I hate when people put flyers up on stop signs. Pretty sure that is illegal (in my area of Southern Ontario, at least).

I know there are some pretty good multi-taskers out there, but there are enough people around who screw up stop signs even without these kinds of distractions.

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 05:37:56 PM »
As a seller...I can't STAND early birds and lowballers. My best friend and I used to do joint sales (my neighborhood banned them, hers didn't care), and we'd put NO EARLY BIRDS on the sign, and there'd still be people showing up while we were setting up...at 5:30 AM. The sign said it started at 7.

And we'd have the same people show up EVERYTIME and try to buy everything...like, "Oh how much for ALL the purses?" And we'd give a number, and they'd immediately lowball like crazy. Like we'd say $50 because there were a LOT of things and they'd go...$10. NOT KIDDING. They resell at the local swap meet on the weekends. They were really bad about the makeup I was selling (all new), and I finally said...its $20 for the whole box, I can make MORE selling the pieces individually...pay $20 OR LEAVE.

As a buyer...I hate overpriced items. I hate that they overprice things because they're "antiques". And I hate when a flier says toys and they have none.

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:25:37 PM »
There are people who have signs up for yard sales in my neighborhood that were in May. Really?

I will offer to buy a lot of something, but at a fair price. Usually I buy a lot of something like books because I might want half the things they have.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »
How about people who put up signs right over the lost dog sign you just put up seconds before they got there.  So rude.  I tore down thier sign and didn't move it above, next to, or under the lost dog sign (where they should have put it).  I threw it in the recycling. 

Friend's lost dog > garage sale.

Also, so rude to cover anyone's sign, especially a lost pet one.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 07:44:26 PM »
I hate false advertizing in general, nothing annoys me more. Or one time when I showed up when they were supposed to be open and they were just starting to set up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal