collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18952 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2021, 06:03:54 AM »
I am quietly optimistic!! I love it! (Apart from the eyebrows!)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2021, 06:12:11 AM »
Not a fan of the eyebrows or the excessive roundness of the head, but I really love everything else! The overall body shape ditches the more exaggerated aspects of G4, and reminds me pleasantly of G2. The ears are more horsey and less catlike, and the eyes are less absurdly large. The hooves are really cute, too! I hope I like the toys as much. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2021, 06:21:50 AM »
Am I the only one who loves the eyebrows? I like thick eyebrows in general, but I feel functionally they help with facial expressions.

Or maybe it's an orange pony thing! Didn't the G4 applejack randomly have eyebrows, and no one else did? XD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2021, 06:22:53 AM »
I do really like the eyebrows! I think it makes sense since they're leaning more towards forward-facing humanish faces. It's really fun to draw them with it and it'll make for some nice faces.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2021, 06:35:14 AM »
You know what the art direction reminds me of? This Hatchimal Pixie Rider toy

As you can see, it follows more or less the same idea of G4's body shapes and proportions (short snout, simplified legs...) but I really appreciate there's so so much less EYE and more space for the rest of facial features to BREATHE

If G5 follows a bit of this direction (which already kinda is judging by its more detailed legs and accessories), then this is gonna be a good gen imo.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2021, 07:08:00 AM »
ETOnline just posted a screenshot!

The studio has also greenlit a new animated series for Netflix, which will take place after the upcoming movie and will focus on Sunny Starscout and her friends.
In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny -- a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony -- is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world, but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even little ponies can make a big difference.
Sauce

Wow, uhm... this is way different than I expected and at the same time underwhelms me. The way everything is modeled and lit looks like your everyday CG show, for shame. Just going off this single picture it looks sadly generic.
I am also not a fan of the Kung Fu Panda approach of having the main character be a fangirl of the hero characters (of the past). It's a trope at this point. I mean, she even has the M6 brushies on her shelf and buttons of their cutiemarks on her like a girl scout.

What I do like is the info their world has no magic anymore and that the Earthling is the protagonist, proving the rumor wrong that an Earth pony won't even be in the character line-up anymore. Good.
I am so-so on the naming but hey, if this is going into a Tales direction again where characters were hilariously named "Logan Berrybush" or whatever, then I won't mind. Anything that drives away creepy men who want to make the ponies their waifus is welcome! So far this all sounds like it targets a younger audience, kind of like the first two seasons of FiM.

Looks like Nemesis and I will have to wait a few more years until we get the chance to see a dark 80s fantasy MLP again. This single screenshot just screams "TALES"!!!

But maybe there is more than meets the eye with this... heh. Maybe they're going to battle a multiheaded hydra at the end that spouts pop culture oneliners :lol:

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2021, 07:10:34 AM »

Haha

Not a fan of it overall, we shall see, but like Zapper said if it keeps creepy adult men away I'll be happy. We'd have more of a chance of that if they'd just let G4 go and not make them a main point in the story

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2021, 07:14:59 AM »
SaraMari, she even has Elsa's cowlick/bangs/whatever.
Why is elsaface such a plague? :lol:

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
I was thinking she looked Disney-esque but they really did copy>paste Elsa face & hair onto a pony for Sunny didn't they?
 :think:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2021, 07:41:44 AM »
Hum...
Underwhelmed?

But...

If it resonates with the kids...

That matters more?

Reserving judgement. Only thing I will say is that I despise the link to G4, like Hasbro think MLP cannot operate without its FIM crutch any more. It would do better to write a completely new story without the baggage of the past. But originality is a dead art.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2021, 07:44:19 AM »
Hum...
Underwhelmed?

But...

If it resonates with the kids...

That matters more?

Reserving judgement. Only thing I will say is that I despise the link to G4, like Hasbro think MLP cannot operate without its FIM crutch any more. It would do better to write a completely new story without the baggage of the past. But originality is a dead art.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the link to G4 either. But since the toys are most important for me I can look past it as long as they improve the variety and quality of the toyline. Pony media is nice but I don't care about it as much. I'll watch the movie and the series when they release but I'm not as invested in how they'll be.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2021, 07:57:37 AM »
copy>paste Elsa face & hair

Truly, her entire hairstyle is Elsa's but mirrored. It's like they injected AJ with an Elsa potion to make her more popular with the kids. And as a final touch the hair was changed to Scootaloo's hair color to make it less obvious it's AJ's body with Elsa's head. The perfect girly Frankenstein's monster, I love it.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2021, 08:00:57 AM »

Haha

Right? The CGI Disney movies have suffered from the same face format for female characters for years, and now it's happening to My Little Pony? =(

Not a fan of it overall, we shall see, but like Zapper said if it keeps creepy adult men away I'll be happy. We'd have more of a chance of that if they'd just let G4 go and not make them a main point in the story

I personally liked FiM, but right, I would prefer a reboot, which is what MLP generations have been before this.

Indeed, if they do stuff that scares off the creepy male audience that would be for the best (not all men [can't believe I just said that], just the men who can't enjoy MLP without sexualizing it.  :X ).

|My Collection|

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2021, 08:08:28 AM »
A new press release and image was sent to [Big Brony Site].

My Little Pony’ Franchise Gallops to Netflix with All-New Animated Feature Film and Series
CGI Movie and G5 Series will Exclusively Premiere Worldwide on Netflix

LOS ANGELES, CA– FEBRUARY 25, 2021 – Entertainment One (eOne), Hasbro’s entertainment studio (NASDAQ: HAS), announced the highly anticipated all-new computer animated feature film based on the MY LITTLE PONY franchise will premiere on Netflix later this Fall. Fans can also look forward to the release of a new MY LITTLE PONY G5 series.

After a decade of heart-warming friendships, daring adventures, and endless laughs, the beloved pony world of Equestria is expanding to introduce a new generation of ponies to a new generation of fans. With even more humor, heart, and adventure, audiences will be swept away to a contemporary and immersive pony universe brought to life like we’ve never seen it before.

Animated by Hasbro’s Boulder Studio in Dublin, the new feature film is the first time the ponies will be seen in theatrical-quality CG animation. The movie is directed by Rob Cullen and Jose Ucha with Mark Fattibene as co-director. Cecil Kramer and Peter Lewis are producers.

In the new movie, the pony world of Equestria has lost its magic. (GASP!) Friendship and Harmony have been replaced by paranoia and mistrust, and Ponies now live separated by species. Sunny – a feisty and idealistic young Earth Pony – is convinced there’s still hope for this divided world… but her slightly misguided and often hilarious efforts to change hearts and minds have led to her being branded a misfit. When Sunny befriends a lost Unicorn named Izzy, who wanders innocently into the Earth Pony town of Maretime Bay, the town has had enough. Izzy and Sunny must embark on an epic adventure that will include a daring jewel heist, outrageous conspiracy theories, elaborate musical numbers, and the world’s cutest flying Pomeranian. Their adventures will take them to faraway lands and force them to challenge the status quo by facing their fears and making new friends out of old enemies. The world Sunny has dreamed of her entire life could finally become a reality as Sunny and her newfound friends fight to prove that even LITTLE ponies can make a BIG difference.

The adventures of Sunny Starscout and her friends will continue with an all-new, computer-animated series coming to Netflix in 2022.

The MY LITTLE PONY entertainment releases will be accompanied with toys informed by the updated animation style in addition to a robust portfolio of licensed products across fashion, home, publishing and lifestyle categories.

Boys! And one of them's green! I don't like the human-looking lips on Izzy though. The girls should have really had muzzles like the boys. I feel like that would improve the design greatly.

And visually, this looks more and more like Filly Funtasia.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 08:10:38 AM by Mrs. Prospector »

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2021, 08:10:25 AM »
gosh, it's really cute. looks like sunny has a cutie mark in this one. agreed about the lips, but i wonder if it's just a weird angle. i'm excited!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal