collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Custom Critique Thread!  (Read 1557 times)

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Critique Thread!
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 02:36:42 PM »
I'm resurrecting this thread!

I made these Scully and Mulder ponies because I'm a big X-Files fan.  But, they look kind of BLAH to me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe not enough colors?  I'm at a loss.   :|  (and yes, the eye gems are missing, at some point I will get some and add them, in the meantime I gave them a large eyeshine, ha ha)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
sunpony! I luv X-Files!
Scully looks really great! maybe find a way to give her a tiny cross necklace? (amazing symbol work!)
mulder looks kinda blah to me (to use your word :lol: )
maybe some "lights" on or coming from the UFO? could shine across the body too....and *maybe* use a sponge to paint a darker shade down his spine like shadows falling?

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2014, 06:46:25 AM »
I don't customize, but I wanted to leave a comment here because I bought Colorscapeart's flame kissed Moondancer!  I don't usually collect customs, but I was drawn to this one because she is so unique.

I love how she appears multi-colored, like various hues of metal shining in the sun.  The way her hair is sculpted is brilliant.  The only thing I can possibly see is that the symbols are different sizes, but that kind of suits her and that may have been done on purpose because metal art is usually not symmetrical.  And maybe the placement of her tail laying up against her rump on the NDS could have been situated a little further down to allow for another star to be visible.

I absolutely love her, and CSA, I had to search her over multiple times to even look for possible suggestions.   She is stunning and definitely not a "rut."  You are very talented :D
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2014, 06:57:29 AM »

I made these Scully and Mulder ponies because I'm a big X-Files fan.  But, they look kind of BLAH to me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe not enough colors?  I'm at a loss.   :|  (and yes, the eye gems are missing, at some point I will get some and add them, in the meantime I gave them a large eyeshine, ha ha)

I think you've had great suggestions. They both are well done in their current state. Honestly it screams g2 to me if it has tinsel in the hair (and maybe tail). Also maybe painting the hooves to match their hair color will give a bit of pizzaz?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
Thanks Roogna and mlp4me for your suggestions!  I did think about giving Scully her necklace somehow, so to hear someone else mention it is a good sign, I will definitely do that. :)  And those are interesting ideas for Mulder, I'm going to contemplate them and see what I can do!  It is pretty much too late to put tinsel in the mane, but I like the suggestion about the hooves, that could be neat.

I'll be sure and post pics when I finish "editing" them  ^.^
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 10:46:26 AM »
SunPony they are so clean!  I love the paintwork on them!  The only suggest I see is to maybe add a bit more contrast to Mulder's trees under the UFO.  Everything else is crisp and outlined in black, it sort of makes the trees look less finished. 

I don't customize, but I wanted to leave a comment here because I bought Colorscapeart's flame kissed Moondancer!  I don't usually collect customs, but I was drawn to this one because she is so unique.

I love how she appears multi-colored, like various hues of metal shining in the sun.  The way her hair is sculpted is brilliant.  The only thing I can possibly see is that the symbols are different sizes, but that kind of suits her and that may have been done on purpose because metal art is usually not symmetrical.  And maybe the placement of her tail laying up against her rump on the NDS could have been situated a little further down to allow for another star to be visible.

I absolutely love her, and CSA, I had to search her over multiple times to even look for possible suggestions.   She is stunning and definitely not a "rut."  You are very talented :D

Thank you!! You are too sweet and I'm so glad she is in a loving home!

Offline Brightglowpony

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2014, 06:13:56 AM »
SunPony they are so clean!  I love the paintwork on them!  The only suggest I see is to maybe add a bit more contrast to Mulder's trees under the UFO.  Everything else is crisp and outlined in black, it sort of makes the trees look less finished. 

Thank you!! You are too sweet and I'm so glad she is in a loving home!

You're welcome!  :lovey:
Wishlist
Thank you to Witch for my stunning avatar!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »

I don't even care about X-files and I love Scully! I agree with the adding more detail to the UFO/trees to Mulder and I don't know how you would feel about cutting his hair shorter. He looks very 'pretty' with long hair. I think these ponies are both very well done though :D

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »

I know very little of x-files beyond the  theme song.. I do agree that something with the one with the UFO is kind of lacking
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal