collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Who were your first Ponies?

G1 - had as a kid
67 (64.4%)
G1 - got them as an adult
2 (1.9%)
G2 - had as a kid
5 (4.8%)
G2 - had them as an adult
0 (0%)
G3 - had as a kid
20 (19.2%)
G3 - had them as an adult
1 (1%)
G4 - had as a kid
2 (1.9%)
G4 - had them as an adult
6 (5.8%)
Something else and I will share in my reply
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Who were your first Ponies?  (Read 5134 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Who were your first Ponies?
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 10:39:38 PM »
I was born in '79, so I had them as a kid. The only one I remember getting in a store was a plush parasol from TRU when I was quite young.  I remember taking windy, skydancer and sprinkles in the tub with me too.

Fast forward 20 years...

The mall had these computer kiosks back in the early 00's and I caught my sister looking up care bears on Ebay. Guess what I looked up?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 11:17:39 PM »
I was born in 85, so ponies were a huge part of my childhood.  My mother frequently would come home from the shops with a new pony for me just as a treat even though it wasn't my birthday or anything (gosh she spoiled me!  ^.^).  My twin brother had a herd of ponies also, and we both watched the My Little Pony and Friends cartoons on the weekends, and then I'd sit through GI Joe and X-Men.  All of my friends had ponies too, they were everywhere in my childhood. 

Tragically, my collection somehow got lost in the move when my parents divorced, and I still wonder where my poor ponies ended up :cry: I think it was the discovery of eBay and online secondhand markets that rekindled my interest in collecting ponies.  It was so exciting to realise that I could find vintage ponies online which I had never seen in stores and had never owned as a child.  I have re-bought all of the ponies I remember having when I was little, and have now expanded my herd WAY beyond my modest childhood collection.  Still need so many more though!  Will be collecting for a long time yet ;)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 11:36:03 PM »
I like how so far NO ONE started with G2 as an adult, and everything else has 1-5 aside from the majority who had g1 or g3 as a kid.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2018, 04:33:40 AM »
I had a few when I was a kid. BBE Gusty, Dancing Butterflies, Cranberry Muffins, and Shoreline (the sunshine pony that I didn't remember having as a kid!)

Then G2 came out and I had MM Ivy, Secret Surprise Petal Blossom, and Secret Surprise Morning Glory.

I lost track of MLP after G2 vanished and it wasn't till 2007-2008 that I found out about G3 after I became friends with someone and another friend showed me MLP Arena and customizing and well 2009 was when I fully got back into MLP.. must to my family's regret now.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline mewthemew

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2018, 08:08:23 AM »
Bit of an odd story: My first pony was a bait G1 glory.
I got into collecting in 2012 at 15 years old when I was really into G4. My grandparents decided to feed into my obsession and buy me a big lot of bait ponies of various generations, and the first one I really connected with was a tail-less Glory who kickstarted my want for collecting more of every generation.
Tailless Glory is now with a friend of mine who's taking MUCH better care of her than I ever would have been able to.

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2018, 08:20:40 AM »
FF Snuzzle and Cotton Candy for my 8th Birthday mere minutes after they were taken out of their boxes on their inaugural release. Mine never even hit the shelves! The employee told me they were the first ones in the entire city :) Also yes I’m old :)
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:06 AM »
These kindsa polls are always fun.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:38:31 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ThePoneZone

• Captain Jack Pony
  • Boop the Ice Crystal! :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2018, 09:54:29 AM »
My first ponies were a small group of hand-me-down G1's from my mother.

Gusty, Glory, Firefly, Moondancer, Sparkler and Gingerbread. As I mentioned on my introduction post, all of my childhood ponies were taken by my brother and sold for drugs. I only really got back into ponies because my friend mew sent me a small box full as a gift. Thanks to her, I've at least managed to get Glory back, and she only needs a new tail and minor glitter touch up which I can do very easily once I get the supplies.

I'm hoping to be able to get them all back and thensome eventually. Not through ebay, though. The shipping in Canada is bad enough without ebay tacking on more.

Tailless Glory is now with a friend of mine who's taking MUCH better care of her than I ever would have been able to.

Funny thing about it is that Tailless Glory wasn't what I'd consider bait at all. I have no idea what she was even doing in there because it would've been a huge shame if someone baited a pony that only needed some minor restoration... I can't wait to be able to restore her to her former.... -snrk- Glory.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:01:26 AM by ThePoneZone »
I don't get to buy ponies often, but I cherish them when I do :lovey:

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
Still cannot remember WICH ponies I get as child, saddly... BUT look what I found:

The only picture in the world of my Show Stabble in my childhood!! It's really "nothing" but it means a lot to me! :biggrin:
I've voted for the G2 as they were the current range of ponies when I was little!

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2018, 05:05:05 PM »
FF Snuzzle and Cotton Candy for my 8th Birthday mere minutes after they were taken out of their boxes on their inaugural release. Mine never even hit the shelves! The employee told me they were the first ones in the entire city :) Also yes I’m old :)

Now that's what's called spotting a toy as a future success story right from the off xD. Nice going :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Stellaluna

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2018, 05:15:16 PM »
I had G1's as a kid. They were trades from friends. I was probably trading some other toy for them like Barbies or something. I had about 14 in total? It was enough to fit in a large Christmas nativity display that I used for their stable. The only ones I distinctly remember having were WigWam, Parasol, and maybe twice-as-fancy Sugarberry? I know that my friend had her and I'm pretty sure all my friend's ponies usually fell into my hands through trading.

The only G1 pony I distinctly remember getting at the store was an orange pony that was transluscent with sparkles inside. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

The G2 ponies completely passed me by. Maybe they didn't advertise for them enough? I don't even remember them being on toy shelves in the 90's. Though I know they did have a limited run here in the US. If I had known about them, I would've gotten them too!

While G1 I had a small herd and only considered them just some of my toys in the toybox, G3 was when ponymania really kicked in for me even though I was older by that time.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
The only G1 pony I distinctly remember getting at the store was an orange pony that was transluscent with sparkles inside. Does anyone know who I'm talking about?

Sunspot!

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Stellaluna

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »
Ahh, thank you so much! Yes, that's her! I remember as a kid almost being disappointed that my mom pulled her down from the rack and walking away with her because I thought she was a cheap knock-off! I had never seen any My Little Ponies that were semi-clear like that so I didn't know.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2018, 06:55:18 PM »
I grew up with G1s, my first as Bluebelle around age five. I remember buying Butterscotch for a cousin's birthday. And being puzzled about the pony with the candy name and butterfly markings. After going "ewww, those are for girls" my mom braided her hair. That done I happily ran off to put her among my Star Wars toys. Thus began many happy years of collecting ponies. Which till I was given my first play set, hung out in Jabba's thrown room. :lol:

As an adult, it was G3 Kimono at TRU. Found by accident one day and had me going "they're back? they're back!".

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline YasuSuga

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Friendship Garden
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
My first one was a G3 fakie, I don't know if It counts. But my very first original pony was a G3.5 Scootaloo
I've been collecting ponies since Im a little kid, I'm not an adult yet but since Im like 5 I think? I didn't stop looking for ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal