collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MY Flat Foot Cotton Candy has pink symbol spots instead of white? Pics added  (Read 2582 times)

Offline icecreamgirl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
I never noticed the difference before but I just checked my FF Cotton Candy and she had light pink spots!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thanks to lunar_scythe & kittywhiskers for my adoptables

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
I believe the spots on FF Cotton Candy are supposed to be faint pink.  I've never come across a FF Cotton Candy with white spots.   

Ohhh, interesting!  That would make sense, in a way . . . All the other Collector ponies have symbols that match their body or hair color.

I'm pretty sure I've seen this too, but the thing is it's so pale and against the pink body, it's hard to know if it's actually pink or if it's an optical illusion.

Kind of like Skyflier and Twist's mane streaks. Pretty much every site lists them as white, but after lots of peering at my MOC and loose ones, and comparisons against white paper, I'm pretty sure they're both pale pink, too.

But then again it *could* be colour transfer from the hair (unlikely since it's so uniform, but not impossible)...after so many years, we just can't know for sure with the colours of some of these ponies and their markings/mane and tail.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Breyer600

• Trade Count: (+437)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
My FF Cotton Candy's spots look more white to me.  There are a few that seem to be an extremely pale pink, but she is also definitely leaching dye which could account for that. 

I'm pretty sure I've seen this too, but the thing is it's so pale and against the pink body, it's hard to know if it's actually pink or if it's an optical illusion.

Kind of like Skyflier and Twist's mane streaks. Pretty much every site lists them as white, but after lots of peering at my MOC and loose ones, and comparisons against white paper, I'm pretty sure they're both pale pink, too.

But then again it *could* be colour transfer from the hair (unlikely since it's so uniform, but not impossible)...after so many years, we just can't know for sure with the colours of some of these ponies and their markings/mane and tail.

Twist's streak is definitely pink:

It's a bit harder to tell on my Skyflier, but I'm reasonably sure hers is not a result of color transfer:

I believe the spots on FF Cotton Candy are supposed to be faint pink.  I've never come across a FF Cotton Candy with white spots.   

Ohhh, interesting!  That would make sense, in a way . . . All the other Collector ponies have symbols that match their body or hair color.
Blossom's flowers are white so she breaks the pattern.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist
Avatar by SquarePeg; Sig by Alrak

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Yeah, I did similar comparisons and I came up with the same. The fact my MOC ones look distinctly pink through the bubble also convinced me, but if you look on ID sites, eg the wiki:
http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Skyflier

*shrug*

And I think the UK comic used to draw Skyflier with the streak in white.

As for Blossom, I often wonder about her and why the hair for Baby Blossom ended up white. Cotton Candy and Baby CC are all pink. Maybe Blossom was going to be lavender and white. It would also explain why someone got majorly confused and drew Minty in purple with white hair in the UK factfile, although that could just be garbled information.

Worth a thought..?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Breyer600

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Well, the wiki doesn't say it's white anymore.  ;)  I honestly had never thought to check her stripe before, and I'm not sure why since it's the same color combination as Sea Mist's whom I knew had pink.

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Skyflier has white hair as far as I know . . . She's pretty common, and if she'd started out with fading pink hair than IMO there would be at least some around with the original hue, which is a very strong bubblegum pink.  She has a white streak on the US brochures, too, which were quite accurate in Year 3.

Twist is more of a possibility because she was drawn incorrectly on her backcard to begin with (in Gusty's pose, with golden hair and no streak at all), probably based on some long-lost prototype.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Skyflier has white hair as far as I know . . . She's pretty common, and if she'd started out with fading pink hair than IMO there would be at least some around with the original hue, which is a very strong bubblegum pink.  She has a white streak on the US brochures, too, which were quite accurate in Year 3.

Twist is more of a possibility because she was drawn incorrectly on her backcard to begin with (in Gusty's pose, with golden hair and no streak at all), probably based on some long-lost prototype.

*points up*

See ;) People don't believe it, even with photo proof ;)

My loose and MOC Skyflier both have pink streaks. So did the one I just sold. Bearing in mind we didn't have her here - I've yet to see one with an actual white streak.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I saw the picture, but the original fading pink color is much stronger than that.  ;)  Like this:

IMO red hair stains her white streak.  Just like I've picked up SS Surprises where her chatreuse hair has dyed parts of her shoulder to yellow.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:14:06 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I saw the picture, but the original fading pink color is much stronger than that.  ;)  Like this:

IMO red hair stains her white streak.  Just like I've picked up SS Surprises where her chatreuse hair has dyed parts of her shoulder to yellow.

We'll have to just disagree
Spoiler
[/spoiler]

It's pinker in real, the photo bleaches it some, and my MOC one is same shade. And it's entirely even all over. I've seen it a few times and so I am pretty sure it's how she's meant to be, whatever artwork suggests. On Rosedust in that image you have a deeper density of the hair against a pastel body. On Skyflier and Twist, the opposite is true - the other colours are much denser and so it would look paler anyway. If Skyflier's hair was staining itself I would expect to see body stains too - but I don't. Plus, we know from Curly Locks and Bouquet etc that the shade of fading pink can differ from new.

But this is getting off the topic of Cotton Candy and her spots XD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
As for Blossom, I often wonder about her and why the hair for Baby Blossom ended up white. Cotton Candy and Baby CC are all pink. Maybe Blossom was going to be lavender and white. It would also explain why someone got majorly confused and drew Minty in purple with white hair in the UK factfile, although that could just be garbled information.

All of the year 3 earth and unicorn babies have hair colors that are a shade lighter than their mothers'. Since there was no lighter shade available for Blossom's purple, I guess that is why they went with white instead. Also, it was the first set of baby ponies, and there wasn't any established rule yet that babies needed to match their parents perfectly. (Although for some reason the rule in this set was that unicorn and earth babies are lighter in color than their mothers, but pegasus babies are not.  XD)

Anyway, this thing about Skyflier's streak is very intriguing and should be investigated further (maybe in its own thread)! It would blow my mind if it turned out to be pink, since every official illustration ever always clearly showed it as white. I also know that Skyflier's red hair is prone to staining if it is in contact with something for a long time (especially if it's white), so that makes the case even trickier.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 01:30:25 PM by SpikeTheDragon »

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Well i don't know about Hk skyflier, but my italian's streak is definitely white.

Offline Breyer600

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Yes, we've definitely strayed from poor Cotton Candy now.  :lol: 

All of the year 3 earth and unicorn babies have hair colors that are a shade lighter than their mothers'. Since there was no lighter shade available for Blossom's purple, I guess that is why they went with white instead. Also, it was the first set of baby ponies, and there wasn't any established rule yet that babies needed to match their parents perfectly. (Although for some reason the rule in this set was that unicorn and earth babies are lighter in color than their mothers, but pegasus babies are not.  XD)

Anyway, this thing about Skyflier's streak is very intriguing and should be investigated further (maybe in its own thread)! It would blow my mind if it turned out to be pink, since every official illustration ever always clearly showed it as white. I also know that Skyflier's red hair is prone to staining if it is in contact with something for a long time (especially if it's white), so that makes the case even trickier.

That was the same as I was thinking on Baby Blossom - they didn't have a lighter purple so they went with white.  It doesn't explain the pegasus babies, but there aren't really any lighter shades of their hair either so maybe they didn't want to have them all with white hair.

Regarding the hair colors:
Spoiler
On Twist, there's no doubt.  Her streak is fairly thick and bright pink all the way to the roots which aren't close enough to the rest of her hair to pick up that color (which is more of an orange anyway).  It's also an exact match to Wind Whistler's:

Skyflier's is a harder to say for certain as it's such a small amount and the position and her coloring combine to make it hard to tell the exact color of the roots.  I thought I would try comparing it to my Posey since she's from the same year and would have been in pretty much the same conditions at all times (both are childhood ponies).  It is hard to get the photos to show the exact color and I also took a photo comparing her streak to a Stardazzle that has pink hair that isn't as shiny and so doesn't end up as washed out in photos.

Her streak is definitely not pure white like Powder's hair.  So, the question is whether her red hair can discolor a white streak to the point where it is at least very close in color to the fading pink color.  I've never found that shade of red to be particularly bad about bleeding.  Surprise's chartreuse shade, on the other hand, will bleed if you look at it funny.  I've had to take precautions when just using hot water to style that color or I would end up with yellow stains everywhere it touched.  (Actually, if that shade of red could really discolor white hair to this extent just by laying on it lightly, wouldn't Powder's red streak stain her mane as well?)

Here are the full photos of the ones I took the close-ups with showing that their hair really is quite pink still though probably not as bright as when they were new:
Spoiler

MLP Sales  Non-MLP Sales
Wishlist

Offline BlushingBlue

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
How interesting! My FF Cotton Candy definitely has white spots. They're the same white as her eyes, and whiter than the tulips of my extremely faded Posey, so I think mine, at least, was "born" with white spots... I kinda wish she had pink spots now. Super monochrome pony!

Spoiler
My Skyflier has a white stripe, although this thread really made me doubt for a minute. It looked nearly as white as my Sunbeam's tail but somehow also nearly as pink as my Posey's tail...? So to collapse the wave function, I opened her up to check her mane weave, and it's convincingly white, or at least not non-faded pink. (That broken neck seal is on your head, Taffeta! :P) So either her stripe is white, or... it's a super special pale pink that was only used for Skyflier's stripe and is naturally so close to white as to be nearly indistinguishable? :blink: I feel like Occam's Razor would imply that dye transfer is a more likely explanation than Skyflier having a uniquely pink streak that no one, including Hasbro, noticed for thirty years. But maybe some Skyfliers got rooted with pink and some with white? I'd be interested to know what any of the pink-striped Skyfliers look like inside.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
I've never found that shade of red to be particularly bad about bleeding.  Surprise's chartreuse shade, on the other hand, will bleed if you look at it funny. 

I've seen at least two Gustys where the red streak had left a pink stain around it, and I think that's the same color as Skyflier's. It seems to be similar to Surprise's hair in that sometimes it stains, sometimes it doesn't. They may have improved the hair later on to prevent this from happening on later releases.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal