collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Can you believe the prices going on ebay for the Rainbow Dash Foil Card?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
No I'm talking about the exclusive card; the one where you see a close up of the pony and it's all foily. 75 dollars to 300 dollars! :shocked:

Seriously?! All for a card? I can understand paying 50 bucks for those but when it comes to that much, it's a rip off. I mean...it's a card for goodness sakes! >_<
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline sweetstuff

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Did someone say ponies?!
    • View Profile
Re: Can you believe the prices going on ebay for the Rainbow Dash Foil Card?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
I guess it depends on how much the winner bidder values that card.

I for one won't be getting back into card collecting after my craziness over XFiles and Sailor Moon cards (and then helping my brothers buy Pokemon  cards). I got caught up in the "gotta have it" mindframe and then all those years later looking at the cards and wondering why I spent so much time and $ on them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
That was my initial reaction when I saw the Fluttershy card hit the $200 mark. "Why would anyone pay that for a piece of paper?!".  And then I realised that that's EXACTLY what my husband says about ponies (why would you pay that for a piece of plastic?!). 

I justified buying my grail, NBBE Baby Lofty, when I was in my last weeks of pregnancy.  She was my grail for 10 years, and was less than $1 per day that I was pregnant for, so he wasn't allowed to make me feel guilty about it, lol (I bought her myself, of course).  Plus, it's hard to argue with someone who's 9 months pregnant with your child =P  I guess Baby Lofty was the same thing to me, though.  Most non-pony people (and even some of the pony people) would wonder why the heck I would spend $200 on an old toy.

To each their own, I guess.  It's going to be interesting to see weather they hold their value, though.  I think the Fluttershy card is going to plummet in value after the free give away :/

Offline Brandi

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »
I'd never pay more than a couple dollars for ANY card, but then again I don't collect cards. I guess it just comes down to what you're in to collecting.

Moondust ,Cremello Quarter Horse = Equine love of my life

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
Anything that is collectible is worth what someone is willing to pay :)

I wish I had one, I would sell it!
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »
I think we have to look at these things from the stance of being a collector - although for many of us its my little ponies and not trading cards we collect...vintage or modern ponies can go for thousands of dollars or even hundreds of dollars if you check out Ditzy or FS Applejack.

As OL1 says anything collectable has value to those who collect. Would I spend that on a card or on the high priced plushies? No, I wouldnt. But I am sure some of the people buying the cards wouldnt spend a couple of hundred dollars on a 30 year old my little pony as I would. 

These items dont have a retail price after all and an open auction technically sets a value as at least 2 people have to be willing to pay that price in order for it to reach that number - and almost all of the exclusive cards are anywhere from $60-200 at the moment so I guess that's what they are "worth".

I think its just that for me discussions like this sometimes take the joy away from winning an auction or obtaining an illusive collectors items - to someone somewhere these cards are important and they want and desire them for their collection . Therefore if someone can and does spend $200 for a trading card I say fair enough even though its not my particular cup of tea.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline appletini

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:16 PM »
 I'm not gonna touch the cards till after a couple years or so, once the hype dies down.  ;) By then most of these prices should be nuked. Worked that way with Pokemon; just gotta wait for the dust to settle.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:38:09 PM »
i dont really get into the whole card thing.. but  some  people are just into   cards. and as other people  have pointed out..  that ifyour into cards and its rare or soemthign and you want it..  then it would be like  soemone  who  had a grail that  was 2 or 300.  just  itis a piece of paper and it can be lost.  or  torn.. or anhting.   and as long as people pay tht much for it.. they will sell for it

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »
I would never pay that much ever for a card. Its not going to be worth anything down the road. I have a complete collection of Lion King cards and they are worth NOTHING!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I wonder how often the bidder backs out? 

craziness...

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
Eh, I supply and demand? I mean not everyone can go to each con to get the limited card... It makes sense to me. (No , I don't collect cards. But I'm pretty sure I put $$$ into a piece of plastic shaped like a pony that just sits on a shelf).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal