collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TRU Collectors Series putting us in a tizzy?  (Read 476 times)

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
TRU Collectors Series putting us in a tizzy?
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:38:55 AM »
I am fairly new to collecting the G4 line so this is the first time I am seeing TRU's Collectors Series of anything.  Can you all tell me a little more about the line?  Is this something that if I miss out on them they will be harder to find?  As in, are they pretty limited and if I don't get something right away it will be gone?  Or can I expect to find them over the next year and all the rush to get them is just fan hype?

I ask this because I pre-ordered Zecora but I'm afraid of it getting cancelled (as per other threads).  So I am wondering if I need to keep calling and trying my TRU to find her in store so I don't miss out.  But if the rush is just about everyone getting her as soon as possible, and they will restock over the year, then I shouldn't be so concerned.  Right?

So, can anyone fill me in on the "Collector Series" history?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:43:01 AM by hathorcat »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Collectors Series putting us in a tizzy?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 06:22:50 AM »
I think TRU in general has been known for late pre-orders, and even worse-- canceling them. So it's more about the way TRU handles its pre-orders. I'm not sure any of us know how well she will be stocked (although I know some people have access to knowing how many are in each area).

This is my opinion, but if I were you-- I would continue to call the store and try to get one that way if this a pony you really want. (and maybe return it if the pre-order doesn't fail, so someone else local has a chance at getting her too).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

popyduggan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »
You can expect to find them over the next year and all the rush to get them is just fan hype.

In my experience with TRU exclusives, one of their tactics is to stagger releases on purpose to get as much of your foot traffic as possible. Mattel usually does that, but I don't think Hasbro is that devisive.

Also, after 4-6 months after people start finding them, they'll be a lot easier to find. When their WWE Hitman Hart exclusive($22) trickled out it was super htf, people were paying $100+ on ebay in February and today I could find a handful at a single store without a hassle or gross mark up. So it's healthier to ignore them for a while, but not too long.     

Okay, I sort of missed the point, but even if your order is dropped there shouldn't be anything to fret over.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:59:32 AM by popyduggan »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 12:02:30 PM »
popyduggan pretty much hit it on the head.

This exclusive is going to make TRU money if they stock it for the whole toy season therefore they will keep it around - particularly in the run up to Christmas. However, low stocking popular items - items which can not be replaced with a similar product and which children or adults want - is a common tactic at marketing/operational levels to ensure repeat footfall and also to enhance the "exclusivity" of the product. Stores will get in a pallet/pack of so many from distribution - let those run out - and then be reasonably speedily replaced with another pallet/pack - and so on. Or at least thats the theory - you cant always be assured a supply chain works as cleanly as this. In theory, this keeps the product reasonably available so that TRU dont actually miss out on sales but also makes you want to grab it as soon as you see it just in case you dont get another chance.

All that being said, it is certainly popular and worth picking up but its no where near the stage of hitting up ebay as yet for silly prices.

The only Collectors Series releases so far are the white Celestia, Zecora and the Nightmare Moon pack - all of them are 2012/2013 products
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:07:19 PM »
I think fan hype sends people in a panic to the stores and ebay sometimes. I remember when the Marvel Legends Scarlet Witch action figure came out, she was selling for $90 on ebay! About a year or so later there were a ton and you couldn't GIVE those things away XD They were pretty poorly made too, which sucks because she's one of my favorite characters :P

Er, anyway, if there are a lot to go around then the hype will die down and they'll be fairly easy to get. The question is, will TRU continue to get more in? That's always my fear. Once they run out, that's it! That's why I'm scrambling to get mine :P
My Wish List

Offline dxgirly

• Trade Count: (+66)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
Oh, this is good to hear. I was afraid they'd be limited to a set number of pieces (a low number at that)...... I'm glad I was wrong. Now I can relax about this and not pay insane ebay prices. I really have to work on my patience.

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »
My TRU is a little behind. They are still stocking the traveling singles, but they did some some Favorites Collections, White Celestia, and PFF Rarity & Daisy Dreams.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal