Pony Talk > The Dollhouse

Novi Stars?

<< < (2/9) > >>

maycrestmom:
oh I just caught this thread :-) love this line for a mash-up /custom novi head with MH jointed bodies :-) yes I have some for sale would be happy to keep it reasonable as that is what I love most about this board and community

I'll be back with pics - here's a recent one (have to update as I have done a few more easy customs)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Loona:
I also like Novi Stars and have a few of them, customised or as is. They have been discontinued for some years now, which might be the reason why you can no longer find them in regular shops... In my country they have always been scarcely available (they were only carried by about 2 webshops, and were never available in stores), so mine are all from abroad (either ordered internationally by me, or bought locally from a shop that sells import used toys).

As for the quality: I heard that the first line was quite prone to arms falling/popping out and getting lost - I can't confirm, as  mine don't do that, but I also don't really play with them, so I don't know how durable they are during regular child's play. I did find some armless Novis in second-hand stores, so there has to be something in this.

All in all, I consider them more to be collectible figures with more detail and some doll-like features than dolls. Many of them only have 3 points of articulation (head and arms). Probably this is another reason whythey haven't been that popular and longlasting on the market - I remember when they came out people were discussing they cost a bit much, and I too think they were originally priced much higher than what they are worth. And especially for children. While adult collectors will pay that money for collectible figures, for a toy that can't really be posed during play, its hair tangles on the antennae and gets messy in a minute, and arms falling off all the time, they were a little too costly.

I own a few Novis who are WIP and planned customs, but I haven't actually got there. I should really do... While I like their small size, I think MH body portions are more suitable for some of them, so I have two on MH bodies (Orbit Beach Una and original Ari Roma). I have an old picture of Ari (I still need to remove the black stripes from the body, as I do not think they suit Ari), but Una is not yet pictured (I never got around to decide what she should wear, so currently she' sitting on the shelf naked  :lookround: )

(this second Ari in the box is actually for sale, but you might find better deals from local sellers :) )

I also have Malie Tasker whom I plan to modify this way, but while I do have two MH bodies ready for the project, I haven't yet made myself ready to destroy one of them just to get another pair of hands for her.

I have Tily Vizon, Orbit Beach Mae Tallick, Nita Light and Original Una Verse on original Novi bodies. Una is swapped to an Anne Arctic body I bought separately (her yellow legs just killed my OCD). Now - apart from her eyeshadow - she's all blue and white :) I snapped a pic of her (and my newly made glass light decorations XD ) She is a permanent desk companion of mine, I adore her :)

Tily Vizon was bought here from pinkkittywinks <3 She's also not fully ready, and thus I also don't have pics of her (I only have pkw's original pic). I removed the yellow springs and brown mesh tubes from her hair, as I think they were clashing with her colour scheme. They will be replaced with similar attachments in different colours - I have everything in hand, so I should really work on her... I'll post a pic once she's ready.

I would love to find Vera Tabray for a price I'm willing to pay for her, and I'd also love to have another Nita whose head I could put on a Bratzillaz Midnight Beach body. It always bugged me about her that her body does not glow in the dark, only her head, but I love her original proportions too much to customise mine.

maycrestmom, is this Ina Ferna the one that travelled across the ocean from me to you? It's good to see she's still hanging around - and rockin' that new body! :cool:

maycrestmom:
yeah I think my favorite as the novi-s themselves are the two robot-ish ones = they did a different body style and are taller

I was hopeful when they did that 4-set - doe, justina, carmela and frostina - I was really hopeful for an improvement but it seems that was the end of the line as far as production since it seems they fell into that "creepy but not" catagory as far as doll-types = the uncanny valley. 

I'm not sure if my dragon-ina was the one you sent... I admittedly have done a few customs with her head and then I have my boxed version so, yea admittedly I have been having fun doing mash ups when I find a good ebay lot or board trade or similar

if these dolls do come back I really hope for better jointed bodies 'cause they have IMO a much better time "modeling" on my shelves with buddies that way

so I know I am biased but I say = customize away :-)

Loona:
Haha, no worries :) I'm happy you found good deals and now have multiples - I remember back then you were struggling to find some of the girls for reasonable prices, as eBay sales were so inflated...

Your Malie and Tula look so good! Seeing Tula on the MH CAM body makes me want her too - uh-oh... I must resist! I do not need more Novis on my wishlist, I already have more than what I planned :D

I just realised StrawberrySundance asked about customising experiences, and I forgot to share mine. Since so far I've only done rebodying to MH bodies, that's the only thing I can talk about, but my main experience is that it's a freakin' nightmare to pop the heads on the MH body. I struggled so much with both Ari and Una - especially with Una. I remember I've worked on her for days, constantly stopping as I had enough and the head was still not going on fully. The process even left some concentric marks around her neck, on her head. I don't mind them, as the shape of the head helps disguising them if you aren't looking at her from the bottom up, but still... I guess this is one of the reasons why I haven't yet got around to do another rebodying -_- I may have not managed to soften the head enough (it might have been easier with a heating pad, but I do not own one, so I did it with hot water). maycrestmom, do you have a good and struggle-free method for popping the heads on a MH body?

maycrestmom:
I have a heating pad and it really made the job very easy very quickly so I would recommend a heat pad

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version