collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Little Mermaid live-action  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: The Little Mermaid live-action
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2023, 09:32:19 AM »
It was so gorgeous! It was a beautiful, colourful film that made me so happy. Totally worth the money to see it at the cinema. I liked the idea that all the sisters were representatives of each of the seven seas.

I was wondering if that's what they were going for when I saw the designs for Ariel's sisters. 

I might be seeing the movie sson.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2023, 02:53:51 PM »
It was so gorgeous! It was a beautiful, colourful film that made me so happy. Totally worth the money to see it at the cinema. I liked the idea that all the sisters were representatives of each of the seven seas.

I was wondering if that's what they were going for when I saw the designs for Ariel's sisters. 

I might be seeing the movie sson.

Ponyfan

That's sadly enough only touched upon in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment in the movie; it's character development explored in a book. "Guide to Merfolk" or "Make a Splash", not sure which one, maybe both?

Anyway, it's a fun detail! And I especially love how the seven seas have different names than we are used to. I see reviewers bringing up the why of that change, but it seems pretty obvious to me that they would have different names. Indian, Atlantic, Pacific ocean, etc... are names given by humans; it makes sense that merfolk would have their own designation for the regions regardless of what humans use imo :whoa:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2023, 03:55:44 PM »
I saw it today.  Overall it was really enjoyable.  I went in to it not expecting it to be exactly like the animated film and I think that helped me enjoy it more.

I didn't like Prince Eric's song. Not sure if it was the song or his singing, but all I could think of during it was "he sounds terrible. I hope he doesn't sing again and "I wish they'd kept the Her Voice song instead."

Spoiler
I felt the fact that Ariel had to draw blood by pulling a scale off her tail to start Ursula's spell was a nod to the original fairy tale.  In the original the sea witch cuts out the mermaid's tongue as part of the price she has to pay to become human.

I also liked that it's made very clear that Vanessa is using Ariel's voice that is trapped in the shell necklace. There's a scene where Ariel's voice is clearly coming from the necklace when Vanessa isn't wearing it.

Maybe I missed it but I felt like the Queen's lines about the human world and the merpeople world not interacting with each has some significance.

I love the original animated movie, but I thought it was interesting that in this version, Ariel's human dress remained on her after Ursula took her back in to the ocean until it got caught on a rock while Ariel was struggling with Ursula trying to get away from her.  In the animated version, the dress disappears as soon as they hit the water.

Also, the stuff about the Coral Moon seemed to just be thrown in there for something to replace the opening concert with.  I didn't really mind Disney changing it, but I felt like all of that was a little unnecessary and didn't really go anywhere.  It only served for a reason to bring all of the other sisters back to Triton's kingdom.

No mentions about the statue of Eric being a birthday present from Grimsby. It just falls off the ship once it starts sinking and breaking apart.  I noticed it when it fell, but someone who isn't familiar with the original might wonder what such a large statue was doing on the ship.   

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 06:04:22 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2023, 10:51:41 AM »
I saw it finally last night.  It’s such a beautiful film and of course I loved Ariel’s singing.

I’m very fond of the original and watched it so many times it kind of lost its magic.  The live action brought it all back for both.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal