collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips for removing smoke smell from ponies?  (Read 5242 times)

Offline CrystalCrown

• Flamez o' Justice
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • You don't need a license to drive a sandwich!
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for removing smoke smell from ponies?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
I also have this problem, heavy smell of smoke (and I'm also allergic to it :( awww, how the hell sellers forget to mention something like this? :huh: :mad: ), but not on a pony, but a Furby. sadly enough it's a Crystal baby, which is one of the few Furbies that has tinsel in its fur. is there a way other than baking soda that might work without hurting the tinsel? I already tried airing and surface washing (which will obviously not work, as the electronics must also smell of it, and I can't wash that :/ )... I also read about kitty litter doing a nice work absorbing smells, but I didn't try it out yet - but now as you mentioned tinsel I became a bit worried... how does that work with tinsel? is there anyone who has experience regarding this?

I honestly don't know much about furbies so I might not be very helpful here. But I do know that the fabric "skin" on a furby can be removed, so maybe you can just take the skin off and throw it in the washing machine, or spray it down with febreeze or odo-ban? Thats all I can really suggest right now, but one of my friends collects and restores furbies so I can ask her and see what she can suggest :)
:fox: :rainbow: F is for friends who do stuff together, U is for you and me! N is for anywhere and anytime at all down here in the deep blue sea!  :frog:

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »
I honestly don't know much about furbies so I might not be very helpful here. But I do know that the fabric "skin" on a furby can be removed, so maybe you can just take the skin off and throw it in the washing machine, or spray it down with febreeze or odo-ban? Thats all I can really suggest right now, but one of my friends collects and restores furbies so I can ask her and see what she can suggest :)
thanks!
I know it can be removed, but putting it back on (since it's sometimes glued and all that) may not result in a same-looking Furby in the end, so I don't like to remove skins unless it is absolutely necessary (a broken sensor that needs to be fixed or something like this). and I'm afraid it wouldn't work now, because I suspect it's not only the fur that reeks of the smell, but also its plastic inside parts, and that I can't wash, so it would soon give the smell back to the washed fur :/
oh, that could be a huge help! I've been dealing with several issues with Furbs already, but sure haven't seen everything, so the help of someone who has more experience is always much appreciated :)

when baby_yoyo mentioned Lush products I realised I have a box full of little soap bars (I love tiny, shaped soaps, I don't collect them, it's just that if I see one I like I usually buy them. I use them in the end, but I use them much slower than I find them XD ), and I checked if there's enough space left in the box to fit the furball in, and there was! ^^ so it put it in, and I'm going to forget about it for at least a week. I'll see what happens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »
I got a few ponies like that a while ago and all I did was let them stay put in a shelf. Since I open the windows everyday, eventually the smoke smell disappeared. I even sold those ponies already and I got no complaints from the sellers.

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »
Thanks for the tips, everyone... ponies have been sleeping in ziploc baggies with dryer sheet blankets for maybe a couple weeks.  I will check on them in another week or so and see how they're doing.  ^.^

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 10:41:29 AM »
now that this thread got bumped I remembered I quite forgot about my Furby sitting in the box of soap bars :blush: I checked upon her: now she smells heavily like soap :D but there's still a little smoke "afterscent"  :huh: so I'll leave her there for a little more. even if there will be a little smoke smell left I'm still happy about this too, at least like this I will be able to put her out (and who knows, with being out maybe more of the smell might disappear) and she won't have to live in a bag put away in a dark drawer ^^

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 01:12:30 PM »
now that this thread got bumped I remembered I quite forgot about my Furby sitting in the box of soap bars :blush: I checked upon her: now she smells heavily like soap :D but there's still a little smoke "afterscent"  :huh: so I'll leave her there for a little more. even if there will be a little smoke smell left I'm still happy about this too, at least like this I will be able to put her out (and who knows, with being out maybe more of the smell might disappear) and she won't have to live in a bag put away in a dark drawer ^^

The soap like conditioner sheets will really only cover the smell - you should put him in a bag with baking soda or kitty litter first and then when the smell is pretty much gone pop them in a box with something smelly :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

The soap like conditioner sheets will really only cover the smell - you should put him in a bag with baking soda or kitty litter first and then when the smell is pretty much gone pop them in a box with something smelly :)

If the dryer sheets don't work, I guess the next thing I'll try is the kitty litter.  I had the ponies in bags w/ baking soda for at least two weeks and the smoke smell hadn't remotely dissipated. :/ Maybe I just didn't give it long enough.  Or I could do all three at once, lol.

~Pony Wish List~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 02:21:00 AM »
Everything is worth a shot to get rid of yucky smokey smell :) I have been there and done that...anything to hand :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »

I wouldn't dare try baking soda, as sometime earlier in this thread it wasn mentioned that it might not be friends with tinsel :S but I will definitely try kitty litter, it's just that so far I was just too lazy to get a bag of it (and walk home with that heavy bag. why, why don't they sell smaller amounts? -.-; ), and as I have no cats (nor my close friends do) I couldn't borrow any either.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »

I wouldn't dare try baking soda, as sometime earlier in this thread it wasn mentioned that it might not be friends with tinsel :S but I will definitely try kitty litter, it's just that so far I was just too lazy to get a bag of it (and walk home with that heavy bag. why, why don't they sell smaller amounts? -.-; ), and as I have no cats (nor my close friends do) I couldn't borrow any either.

You dont actually put the baking powder on the pony...you simply set them together in a sealed container and the baking powder neutralises the nicotine smell.

It doesnt make any difference to put the baking soda on the pony other than that its more to clean up :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:20:18 PM by hathorcat »
Loa is my love god!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »
You dont actually put the baking powder on the pony...you simply set them together in a sealed container and the baking powder neutralises the nicotine smell.

It doesnt make any difference to put the baking soda on the pony other than that its more to clean up :)

Oops.  LOL.  But actually, I would be rewashing them with a blend of baking (bicarbonate of) soda and water any, so it's really no big deal.  Good to know for future, though. :)

~Pony Wish List~

Offline Loona

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 06:38:46 AM »

I didn't want to, I even wanted to put something between them not to even touch, but when I read Behemoth's post I assumed the effect it had on the tinsel wasn't becasue of direct contact between tinsel and baking soda, but happened because, as it got sealed, the circumstances of the air that was left in the bag changed (pH and such) and some chemical reaction took place in the air in the bag which killed the tinsel :P
I re-read the post now and she didn't mention whether there was contact or not though, so it may have only been my thought that there wasn't.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 07:00:46 AM »
not sure if it'll help..  but  i got  many smells out of  many plush  ponys with this.   and a lot of other htings  never tried it on a plastic  pony but i'm sure it'll work.  try  some White vinegar. put it into a spray bottle  and  just spray  the pony  down until its  completly soaked. and  then let it dry.  outside  works the best. i'd say if you had a clothes line hang it int he clothesline if not hang it in your tub.  once it drys if its  still not out of say the hair   resoak the hair.

good luck!  as i said..  i'venever tried this on ponys but it works wodners on plush!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal