collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To fix or not to fix?!  (Read 729 times)

Offline ponytales

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
To fix or not to fix?!
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:53:23 AM »
Let's assume you have a pony that's rather collectible and they have a flaw that would not be so difficult to fix. Once fixed, it would end up looking either exactly how it's supposed to look, or very very close.

Selling wise, it it worth the fix? Or do collectors prefer to buy the ponies with a flaw?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 03:57:29 AM by ponytales »
Currently seeking Italian Blue Lickety Split :inlove:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
Re: To fix or not to fix?!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 04:40:07 AM »
There's no universal answer. Some people prefer ponies to be 100% original, others like them to be fully restored, and then another group has varying levels of restoration that they're fine with. If you want to sell to the largest possible group of people I wouldn't do anything but basic cleaning (Magic Eraser, wash, conditioning, hair styling, that kind of thing) or necessary things like mold/rust removal.

Personally, I don't usually buy dyed or re-pinked ponies because of the potential to bleed or stain things down the line. I tend to shy away from partially or fully repainted ponies too but that's mostly because I prefer baity beauties.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 06:03:25 AM »
I think it is also a personal opinion. I wouldnt fix up a rare pony myself. Espesically Nirvana. I could fix my mexico baby surprise with new hair but chose not to. I do have some other ponies I have only just cleaned with magic eraser and did the basic cleaning with. Unless it comes to me with a mo-hawk I tend to leave them alone now.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
This is a complex answer.

Factors- How common & cheap is the pony? Cheap common ponies, pretty much do whatever to them so they look the way you enjoy most for your collection.

Anything harder to replace, it takes a little more thought. For value, I notice some collectors get more in some cases for restored ponies vs. leaving it original. It really depends on the skill/talent level of the collector, how the repairs are preformed and how much of a buyer following they have. Most of us would just devalue a piece even if the repair worked. Oh, and sometimes one can inadvertently make more flaws trying to fix a problem. always that risk. :)

For an overall beautiful pony with one small area of "issues" most collectors would be thrilled with as is. you can also trade with someone wanting an upgrade for the same pony that is really in need of restoration and love, and fix that instead.

Whatever you decide to do, keep track of any fixes. (keep an inventory*) if you trade/sell later (getting an upgrade etc) you can pass on accurate information to your buyers. Knowing which ponies were restored, and what was done to each also preserves the monetary value of your collection. Whole collections in other lines have their values compromised because replaced/restored parts are hidden among all original pieces. Overall pony collectors are NOT "that" fussy, but those of us who are, are growing in numbers. I hope this helps. :) I avoid buying from any collection with restored items hidden inside all over.

*My logs/inventory is on the computer as well as a binder on lined paper hand written. I know how I cleaned each of my ponies in my collection, where they came from, and what the sellers told me they did to them. <3 hope this helps. I also keep other information because I'm a nerd, but that's the important stuff.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:23:18 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:30:29 AM »
For me, if it's your collection go for it. If you want to sell I would leave as is. I tend to go for original ponies even with flaws like hairs cuts and such. If I want to fix them it's then my own collection.

I had no idea about the repink of hair. I was thinking about doing it but might not now. I would cry if my g1s got stained.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
I have no qualms about eventually restoring any pony that is for my personal collection - I would definitely be making note of what exactly I do to it, though. Anything can happen, so if a pony ends up being put up for sale/trade that I'd done any restoration work on, there would at least be a record of it for the potential new owner. Some people only like to collect ponies who are more in their original conditions, so if I've repinked the mane/tail, for example, that wouldn't qualify. I'd hate to mislead anyone inadvertently.

Now, for ponies I plan to put up for sale/trade from the get-go, I plan to give them a nice clean, but anything that would be considered restoration, I'd feel more comfortable leaving to the buyer.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline ponytales

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 12:36:09 PM »
Thank you guys!

My instincts were to leave well alone so I think that's what I'll do  ^.^
Currently seeking Italian Blue Lickety Split :inlove:

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 01:16:21 PM »
If you do decide to do a touch up mark the bottom of the hoof with acrylic. That way if you do sell it, it will always be known.

I have a flutter pony that is not marked but I think it was re-haired because of the look and feel of the hair. The head is glued on tight so I cant be sure unless I open her, which I don't want to do. But I might be selling her and I don't want to sell her under false pretenses. Im just going to list her as a "possible re-hair"

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 02:07:17 PM »
I'd say fix it, but keep a record somewhere of all the ponies you've fixed/restored, so when you sell them down the line you can tell potential buyers, as some consider touch-ups flaws in and of themselves.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:06:20 AM »
As a buyer of pricey ponies I would rather they be left alone and I fix them. I would go with the let it be, you could offer that you can fix it at buyers request :)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:20 AM »
My general rule of thumb is, the more rare/collectible/expensive the piece, the less you want to alter it from its original condition.

Elf

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 05:50:37 AM »
My general rule of thumb is, the more rare/collectible/expensive the piece, the less you want to alter it from its original condition.

Elf

This is how I feel, as well. Each case is different and I don't think there's any universal rule in terms of whether or not to restore. For example, I have a Night Glider with a trimmed forelock. I don't think I'd change her, but I will certainly rehair the faded blue stripe in Glory's mane.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal