collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips on protecting ponies in a home with smokers??  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Tips on protecting ponies in a home with smokers??
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »
It's possible the propane heater might also have some effect but it's really nothing compared to the nicotine and tar staining from the cigarettes. To be honest, I'm feel like asking you not to move back in because of the effect it will have on your own health!
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 03:31:05 AM »
It's possible the propane heater might also have some effect but it's really nothing compared to the nicotine and tar staining from the cigarettes. To be honest, I'm feel like asking you not to move back in because of the effect it will have on your own health!

Aww, of course! I feel the same way! Nevermind the ponies, your health is paramount!

Post Merge: August 11, 2014, 06:34:47 AM

New idea! Store them in the non-smoking section of a restaurant.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:34:47 AM by ponyqueen »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 09:17:56 AM »
Is there any way you can get him to smoke outside? I'm sure he doesn't want one of his kids to end up with lung cancer.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
my boyfriend swears that if i get an air purifier good enough for asthma (keep it near the door), and get good filters for the central air, AND keep my door shut-- it will be enough to display them. but i'm still iffy about getting them out.

i'm sad to see that no one has ANY ideas for me other than moving them off-site. i thought you guys would have a solution for everything pony-related :P

also no one know anything about the gas heater and if it has anything to do with the yellowing??

I don't think this will be enough.  When I was a kid my grandma lived with us and she smoked inside the house.  Because my lil sister had asthma, my dad went all out to set up a reverse airflow system in her room, put air purifiers throughout the house AND she kept her door closed at all times. 

It still got EVERYWHERE.  There was this weird gummy layer of stuff that got even all over the kitchen chairs and every single thing in the house... the white walls and ceilings of every room were yellow by the time she passed away.

Whatever is in cig smoke is very weird and pervasive  -  I would say do NOT display your ponies if you love them.  You'll be able to eventually, just not now. 

I guess it's too much to hope for that your bf will let you display them at his house ?  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:27:29 AM by Galactica »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »
i'm sad to see that no one has ANY ideas for me other than moving them off-site. i thought you guys would have a solution for everything pony-related :P

also no one know anything about the gas heater and if it has anything to do with the yellowing??

Sadly, there is no options besides off-site, if you mean keeping your collection in good condition.
If you bring them in, you have to disclose any you are selling as being from a home with indoor smoking. It devalues considerably. I don't knowingly buy smoking ponies. they take far too long to deodorize, unless you get into extreme cleaning methods (that will also devalue as it involves disassemble and soaking). and again, they would then still need to be identified as having that flaw removed if I were to sell them on later.

In a home with smoking, everything will be absolutely saturated. I've done work in a couple smoking homes before and other posters are correct about the tar, and the residues being absorbed into every single surface. I got gallons upon gallons of tar water out of a single room before. even a former smoking house will also transfer that horrid smell to everything brought in it UNTIL  every soft surface ripped out and tossed, every square inch cleaned with a powerful degreaser, all contents cleaned (or replaced), everything primed with kilz and painted, with all new carpet, curtains etc. I fixed an entire house like this (my parents after they decided they would never smoke inside and needed it fixed for resale, wooo boy it was months of work).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 09:40:42 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
When I first started collecting, I lived with my Grandma. She quit smoking in 2003, though Grandpa smoked 2 or 3 packs a day up until his death in 2007. Unfortunately, even though a lot of the smell had cleared enough to be able to breathe, the stink was still pretty much everywhere, but in ways that we didn't really notice.

It wasn't until I moved back home and brought my ponies with me that I even noticed that they absorbed some of the smoke smell too, even though they were barely exposed to it. The only time there was smoking in that house during that period of time was when my uncle came over, and he never entered my bedroom. Fortunately, they've mostly aired out by now since they've got some room to breathe, but some of the stuff that I have in containers still kept a smoke smell and spread it to the rest of the container. :/ So I'm gonna have to do something about that.

My point is that even if you keep your ponies in your bedroom with an air purifier and keep the door closed, it's still not enough. The room itself has built up enough third-hand smoke that it can still stink up your ponies and frankly, you can still absorb some of the carcinogens. I read an article about how third-hand smoke is actually more dangerous than first and second-hand, because the cancer-causing crystals have more time to sit there and mutate into an even bigger cluster of cancer-causing chemicals. I really think that storing your ponies off sight would be effective in not only keeping them mint, but also in keeping you safe!

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 10:05:20 AM »

This is why I haven't taken up smoking. I love my ponies, hair, and nails too much. And nobody wants a hairstylist who smokes. I see girls at my school go smoke on lunch break and I shake my head because they'll come right back in and do someone's hair (if they're far enough along in their studies to be allowed on the salon floor).

My friends love vapes. I'm 18, so this is what the 18-20 year old crowd is into. I can't take it up. Too much time and money I could be spending on ponies and hair.

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 12:53:05 PM »
I used to smoke about a year ago, but I just got a cheap vape e-cig and use that if I ever get the urge to. I haven't  that often anymore. I find I have more important things to do. It's really when Im stressed and even then, we have 2 cats so I never ever would smoke in the house.

Still, when I stayed with my father and stepmom or when my aunt visits, the smoke is everywhere. I really can't stand the smell of it by now. So glad its a habit I can put behind me.  ;)
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 07:02:09 AM »
Definitely store those babies somewhere else! I grew up with chain smoker parents and my entire childhood collection was totaled. I also lived in other smoking households and experienced damage. The staining it does is nasty D:

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »
E-cigarettes!;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal