collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To debox or not to debox  (Read 571 times)

Offline Miss Violet

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Takara ponies wanted!
    • View Profile
Re: To debox or not to debox
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »
For me I hate seeing ponies in MIB/MOC specially G1's makes me sad  :( I dont want ponies to turn out like prospector from Toy Story 2  :cry: hehe

So I would always de-box even a G1 :P (hense y i told my bf never to buy me G1's in a box unless he is going to let me de-box hehe)

i so agree with you Lolipop!They look sad to me as well trapped in cards or boxes!!LOL!
Takara ponies wanted!i have Milky and Pinky looking for the other ones! Takara outfits and accessories too!

open for ART COMMISSIONS!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »
I prefer ponies loose, therefore I don't buy MIB/MOC ones. I would not open a G1 or G2. Probably not a G3 either. If I came across a MIB/MOC pony I would sell it.

Only in two cases I think it would be fine to open a G1 or G2; if the packaging is very damaged or if you're absolutely sure that you'll never sell the pony.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 08:47:48 PM »
No pony prisons for me!!
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »
I'm a deboxer unless it's a pony I know will have a better value staying in its box.  I have few things that are still MIB, such as Pony Projects both black and white, Bay Breeze and my 50 first Fizzy Pop (that one has to stay MIB or you couldn't tell it was one of the first 50).  Trolley would have also stayed MIB but her bag was ripped open when I got her new soooo I have her bag and card and it stays with her.  I'm debating on freeing her hair from the plastic holder.

Ponykit

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »
I always take my ponies out of their boxes. I've never seen any reason for me to keep them in there.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 09:26:31 PM »
I have 2 ponies MIP - Shadowbolt Dash, because I'm positive I'd cry if I ever touched that horrid hair she has (hasbro you cruel, cruel manufacturers!), yet I HAD to have her, and GW Rarity - because I only wanted her as a memento of the show, I don't count her when I count my ponies.

I did have a couple of MIB g3's that I bought out of nostalgia, but I deboxed them due to lack of storage space, and that was what actually got me back into collecting.. so I'm really glad I did.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 01:23:19 AM »
I have two main factors in whether or not to debox a pony: laziness and space issues.  Most G4s are destined to be deboxed, but sometimes I don't get around to it right away.  I'll then go on a pony opening spree when I find I really need some space, and all those ponies in boxes have become a problem.  The same usually goes for G3s, though I have kept a few of the art ponies in their boxes.  Whether or not they stay that way will eventually depend on if I *really* need that space some time.  G3s are so easy to find MIP, it's no real loss if I pop 'em out to play with them or display them.

I usually don't buy MIP G1s since I don't have the space, and I'd rather have the pony to play with. 

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 02:03:48 AM »
I love my ponies loose but I wouldn't debox. I collect G2 and if I came across a boxed G2 I would sell it on so I could purchase more loose ponies.

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2014, 04:59:21 AM »
I love the variety of replies! I agree with most that I would not unbox a G1, although I don't have the funds to purchase a G1 MIB/MOC so the point is kinda moot.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »
Ponies are owned by a person not by the community at large so its very much your own decision whether you debox or not. But for me the reasons for deboxing always have to be very very good ones - a pony being more damaged by being in the package, her being as pricey/htf loose as she is in her box, a pony being currently in stores or existing in very large numbers in packaging and so on. However its all a personal judgement.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2014, 02:30:20 PM »
I take them out but keep the packaging for storage :)

I don't have much space for ponies all over my room so I got them neatly packaged in boxes, plus I really like the packaging in general UvU

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Ponies are owned by a person not by the community at large so its very much your own decision whether you debox or not.

I may have worded my comment wrong... What I meant to say is that I'd feel bad opening an MIB pony that's no longer available in stores when I know there are MIB collectors out there that would appreciate that pony MIB, especially when I know I could find one loose if I kept looking (if that makes sense :) ).  I know that any pony I purchase is mine to do as I see fit, and I personally look at *most* ponies solely as toys that I feel ought to be brushed and loved, which is why I open them :) 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Ponies are owned by a person not by the community at large so its very much your own decision whether you debox or not.

I may have worded my comment wrong... What I meant to say is that I'd feel bad opening an MIB pony that's no longer available in stores when I know there are MIB collectors out there that would appreciate that pony MIB, especially when I know I could find one loose if I kept looking (if that makes sense :) ).  I know that any pony I purchase is mine to do as I see fit, and I personally look at *most* ponies solely as toys that I feel ought to be brushed and loved, which is why I open them :) 

Oh its everyone's individual decision :) I know some people are very against it or frown on it - understandably of course. Thats just my personal stand point on it.

And not directed at your post but I do sometimes take a teeny tiny teeny stand point against the "sell it and buy a loose one in minty condition". There are some ponies, with some accessories who that is simply not possible for. If someone here could offer me a mint Good Weather or Sweet Clover with all of their accessories, I would happily trade them my MIB versions. And having tried to track down both of their accessory sets I can promise you my loose Good Weather with accessories [not complete just most of them] cost me more than my MIB did not or would if it came up for sale again. So sometimes its not as simple as a straight up sell.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
There are several deciding factors for me, personally.

- Is the card severely damaged, especially by water? Is the pony itself probably going to get moldy or damaged?
- Is the pony common as dirt?

Even if it's a G1, if the card or box looks like complete trash, you may as well take the pony out and attempt to save it.

I personally kept most of my G4 first-run of the main six in their boxes. I only opened Twilight, and that's because I didn't know they were going to be semi-rare later on. I open all others because, why not.

As for G3, I recently opened a Serendipity because she's quite common (as far as I know) and those boxes can be obtrusive.

With G1's & G2's, even a partly crumpled box will not get me to open them. Has to be really damaged.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal