collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To open or not to open...  (Read 932 times)

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: To open or not to open...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »
Personally, I open mine, mostly because having them in the box would drive me nutty.  I love brushing their hair and arranging them and all.  For me, the enjoyment of having ponies comes from having them out of the box.  I can see why someone would want to keep them in, though, because they do look nice in the boxes.  What I do is I keep the box(flattened)/ back card so I have it.  I also do this with Breyer horses.  I have no intentions of selling my ponies or my Breyers any time soon, but having the box or back card does help their value.  Any way, I really like the box art.  I think the Equestria Girls boxes are especially pretty.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline cricket

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2013, 09:26:03 AM »
I do both.  I'm a MOC collector so most of mine are in the box.  For the ones I really love I usually buy a second to debox.  I have found the majority of my loose G4 collection at yard sales and flea markets.  It really comes down to what kind of a collector you are. I personally love walking in to a room full of MOC ponies!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »
I just couldn't resist opening G3s and G4s :) I love the thrill of opening a pony and grooming it!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »
I tend to open G3s and G4s unless they are exclusives/con ponies or part of a collection of mine (I collect single release G4 Raritys and keep them MIB). I don't think I could bring myself to open a MOC G1 if I ever got a hold of one. I only have one G2 and it's MOC and I don't plan on opening that either.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 11:26:06 AM »
Open it! Open it! :lol: Hate seeing ponies in packets not played with and never brushed  :cry: it upsets me lol - I wouldnt throw the packaging or box away though.

Especially G1's poor girls & boys the only reason I would ever keep one in there Box/packet is if I already had the same one opened and out that I can brush :D

But if I got a super rare one lets say Baby Princess Sparkle & her pretty buggy boxed and packets never ever opened I would have to open it :D poor girl has been shut away in that dark box for all these years she needs some air. My boyfriend was actually going to get this one for me from Ebay & I said but I would have to open it he said he wouldn't let me  :cry: lol. So I told him not to get it for me because I would devalue it by like I dunno £150 don't really no her price but yeah you get my point lol :p

Guess I always think that if I don't de-box ponies I get they might turn out like Stinky Pete the Prospector in Toy Story 2 ;) & we don't want that :p
I have already decided that when I have kids they can play with my ponies, because I will get to play too hehe (the rarer & special ones to me they can play with when there old enough to appreciate them though :P)
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Pony Adventures

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • IRL Pony Adventures
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 02:00:57 PM »
I open all of mine because I take them traveling with me. I do, however, keep some of the boxes for the rarer ponies. Still, at the moment, I have around 10 ponies I need to debox. I try to style my ponies right after I unbox them and before I open any new ones.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 11:22:11 PM »
I would understand keeping harder to find ponies MIB but for me in general G4 are a current release, very common and largely exist MIB with collectors. A quick trawl of ebay will find more of them MIB than loose; the value of them loose or MIB is not so dramatic that I think being loose rather than boxed would worry me. We have seen it with G3. There were a lot of collectors about when G3 was on shelves and this has lead to some ponies being more common MIB than loose.

However that being said, its very much a personal choice ;) For me I release G4 as I know I am not really loosing money in doing so and because I prefer ponies loose.

As to your questions; its not hard to find earlier released ponies via sites like the Arena or ebay as long as you are prepared to pay higher prices for them due to them no longer being on shelves. And completing a collection of a line like G4 when they are so widely available is easy enough...but with so many releases it will be expensive. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 11:58:05 PM »
I only have 3 G4 ponies. I left them all in the box. I figure that eventually I will find them/piece them together from the second hand stores already out of box. Well that is my hope at least.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 07:43:29 AM »
I have almost a dozen g3's still in box... I simply can't de-box a pony anymore... If you have the will power to do so and it's a g4, have at it!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Irkencat

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Big Brother Pony
  • I love ponies!
    • View Profile
    • Irkencat's MLP Dream Land
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
I keep everything G4 in packige, I guess I prefer them like that, becouse of the mintness and
the accessories will be intact. :) It's tempting to to free some of them though >_<

My collection/sales/trades/wishlist etc. on my website:
http://irkencatsmlp.weebly.com/
My new FB MLP Collecting/News page:
https://www.facebook.com/irkencatmlp

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 09:03:27 PM »
I would open any G3s and G4s but G1 and G2 always stay in the boxes :)
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »
I'm like a 8 year old child. I open the ALL! and play with them..... and I'm almost 30....

I guess if I had some in lovely boxes I'd keep them in there but I can't help it I wanna love on them!

craftEcowgirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »
I'm like a 8 year old child. I open the ALL! and play with them..... and I'm almost 30....

I guess if I had some in lovely boxes I'd keep them in there but I can't help it I wanna love on them!

I totally agree and I am 42! :)  I cant see keeping in box unless your only buying to sell later. 

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 06:23:31 AM »
I just like both ,Is nice to see a minty old release ,more than anything else, to me is really complete if it is in the box
but opening is a thrill as well :) both do require something , keeping them in Boxes is nice, they can be hung on walls and easy to clean ,
loose ponies require a display area, and there are expose to dust a bit more and cleaning them can become a heavy task as well
I ran out of display area at some point and kept anything new MIB ,I just recently got me more shelves and was able to open some  sets
but it is like everyone else ,what makes you happy :)
I'm still going for 2 of each, Just got 4 MIB glimmer wings Ponies that I was able to purchase from a member here :) just missing RD glimmer wings now
and got an MIB FS Fluttershy ,RD and TS  just missing AJ FS ...this is going to be an impossible grail I think wish I had not opened mine a year ago  but her box was smoky so had to be deboxed  :( either way and it would be easier to find her loose , so there you have it ....some are better kept :biggrin: Mib
makes me happy that I can have both a loose set and an mib set :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

WrittenEmber

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
I struggle with this all the time. I love loose ponies, I love to play with them and arrange them. My personal collection is almost entirely G4 minis, which are super tempting to open because they are tiny and don't take up a lot of display space. And because I want to hold them!

But at the same time, MIB is appealing. Shiny and new, and "complete" by a special definition of the word.

I started late, so I'm playing catch-up collecting the earlier waves. For those ponies, if they're MIB they stay that way unless/until I get a double. I'm actually really happy when I find one that's already opened when I buy it, because then I can skip the guilt and go straight to enjoying my loose pony! :newpony:

When it comes to the new waves I can buy in stores, I've been gradually trying to buy two of each pony or set so that I can open one and keep one sealed. It's easy enough to do with blind bag ponies because they're tiny enough and affordable enough to get away with it, lol! (My bank account is suspicious of my pony-buying activities, but so far it hasn't caught on. The trick is to shop somewhere like Target, and then slip a pony in with other, more mundane things like milk and socks. :devious: )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal