collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Princess Twilight Sparkle "Adult Collectible"???  (Read 9646 times)

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Twilight Sparkle "Adult Collectible"???
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:49 PM »
I'll pass as well...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Market research... fail. :lol:

My 6 year old wants it. I do not.

LOL This sure did make me laugh!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »
Argh, dat price tag.

I really hope they don't release a Fluttershy, because then I'll need her for my army...
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
Um...how is that not a toy, exactly?  :what:  I was presuming it would be more like the Funko vinyls but that...just looks like a big regular pony with glitter on it.  How odd.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2013, 02:51:19 PM »
LunarEclipse no brony wants this either, I think the bronies want the same thing collectors do.. More show accurate characters, especially boys.
Nah, i don't care about boring show accuracy. I just want some new, interesting characters. They don't even have to appear on Fim. As for this Twilight, i kinda like her. However, shipping her to Europe would make her very expensive... I'm actually getting really tired of having to import nearly everything these days.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
Yikes. >.< I may have liked her when I was 5?

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Omg, this 'adult collector' MLP line is such a giant Fail on Hasbro's part that it's actually laughable.

Putting "THIS IS NOT A TOY" on a box automatically makes adult collectors want to buy it! Obviously!! And if the box doesn't convince us, I'm sure the REAL SWAROVSKI CRYSTALS will!! Everyone wants a pony with jewelery on it!  :haha:

Can someone who is a Transformers fan please explain to me what Hasbro does for adult Transformers collectables? Are they larger than the toy versions? Made of real metal? More detailed paint job, yes? I'm guessing it's one or all of these. NOT slapping pricey crystals and glitter on a toy and calling it an adult collectable!

Oh Hasbro.... Heh heh. You are a laugh riot.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline xdartfrogx

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • I love my frogs and geckos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »

^
This. Thank You. And thank you Brittanny for putting a pic up of her. I forgot. :blush: I just do not see what the appeal is supposed to be for adult collectors; she really does stand out as tacky to me. It would be different if she was a one of a kind custom, but a mass produced, over-released twilight. *sigh* Her wings to the extent of size look great, but I think they *only* did that because she is Princess Twilight Sparkle now- Hasbro's attempt to be more show accurate. I'm on the wagon with knitgirl. I would drop consider dropping money for porcelain or ponies that are crystal- maybe even glass, but not for this 'gem' :lmao: And it might seem as a marketing fail- yet now kids are going to be having tantrums for the $50 pony rather than the $5 pony. I wonder how many parents will break down and pick one up- especially when the holidays hit... I fear that more of these will show up in the future. Hasbro please- We are begging you for Brushable Boys, G1 characters, less characters made of pink and purple bodies, Sea Ponies, and NEW characters Pleeeeeeeeeaaaase????????? :drunk: I still think they're not listening :cry:

will2Bfree

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
I am really bummed out and disappointed at Hasbro. How hard is it to take a poll to see what we'd actually want to buy? It's more blatant than ever how little they care about collectors and how much they care about bronies.

Ah, and with this comment I think it's more blatant than ever how much hate gets thrown at bronies even when it's completely undeserved and makes no logical sense. I don't want to be rude (I truly, honestly don't like to be), but if you think this is an attempt to cater to bronies, you're just as out of touch as Hasbro is.

Frankly, Hasbro has done a poor job giving either group (traditional collectors and bronies) what they want, but I don't think it's either groups fault. We're not their target market, perhaps they simply have trouble seeing things from our perspective. Sometimes I believe Hasbro really does try, and they don't always fail, but when they do this is the result. To me, it just seems more lazy than anything. I mean, why bother coming up with something creative and original when you can just throw some glitter and junk on a pre-existing character? It DOES look like something aimed at children and is a sad attempt, widely missing it's mark of the adult market. Collector's want a wide selection of characters, bronies want a wide selection of characters from the FIM show, both want quality... this doesn't hit any of that.

Clearly they didn't do their research, but this isn't the first time hasbro has done something odd and if it doesn't sell well, I'm certain they'll come up with something else (possibly just as inconceivably ridiculous, but we can always hope). In the meantime, I'll just be glad my wallet is safe as this isn't something I want in the least.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 03:20:00 PM »
will2Bfree you are a wise pony :nod:

Children have always been the primary demographic of Hasbro, and I would even be willing to bet the plethora of blind bags that sprang into being last year was more for the fact that they can generate a great amount of them and for very cheaply than it was catering to the bronies who were clamoring for accurate characters from the show.

I just find it so funny that when they DO give in and try to make ponies for adults, they fail so spectacularly.

Perhaps this is because the 25th Anniversary Editions of the G1's didn't sell so well? From what I heard, there was a poor reception from G3 collectors when those sets were released. I myself didn't buy them either, and I was a fairly steady G3 collector, since they looked like re-molded versions of the G1's I already had on my shelves. So Hasbro is possibly reluctant to go down the G1-during-current-days road again, in consideration to adult collectors anyway.

I think they would have more luck with something like the art ponies, something with very detailed paint all over the body. But perhaps Hasbro didn't see enough sales from those either? I think I recall the MLP Fair even had some of these exclusive rare ponies up for sale on their site a full year after the Fair ended.

In other words, maybe this is yet another of Hasbro's attempts to appeal to an adult market after several other fails? Wow what a poor choice though! Haha. *still sitting here laughing about it*
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »
Pass for me as well...

This is pretty terrible--especially if geared toward collectors.  It has been almost three years and Hasbro still refuses to produce Twilight in show-accurate colors.  She's the star of their hit series.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 03:42:29 PM »
Do you know Dragonflitter, I actually agree.

The problem with their 2 previous attempts is that one was poorly made [but then again we gave them a $5 per item budget] and the second did not sell in the mass market quantities that they wanted. However, where Hasbro and perhaps we as collectors miss the point is that we are a very very small collecting community. In comparison to the GI Joe and TF collectors, we are but a blip for Hasbro. Hence the reason the previous attempts at "adult collectables" were perhaps a bit of a flop - there are not enough of us.

Therefore as much as I cry "fail" with everyone else - perhaps this is simply a financially safe bet - cause they know there are pony fans of all ages right now and therefore even if old school collectors like us dont buy her perhaps a younger audience will be interested in a special release?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
I am really bummed out and disappointed at Hasbro. How hard is it to take a poll to see what we'd actually want to buy? It's more blatant than ever how little they care about collectors and how much they care about bronies.

Ah, and with this comment I think it's more blatant than ever how much hate gets thrown at bronies even when it's completely undeserved and makes no logical sense. I don't want to be rude (I truly, honestly don't like to be), but if you think this is an attempt to cater to bronies, you're just as out of touch as Hasbro is.

Frankly, Hasbro has done a poor job giving either group (traditional collectors and bronies) what they want, but I don't think it's either groups fault. We're not their target market, perhaps they simply have trouble seeing things from our perspective. Sometimes I believe Hasbro really does try, and they don't always fail, but when they do this is the result. To me, it just seems more lazy than anything. I mean, why bother coming up with something creative and original when you can just throw some glitter and junk on a pre-existing character? It DOES look like something aimed at children and is a sad attempt, widely missing it's mark of the adult market. Collector's want a wide selection of characters, bronies want a wide selection of characters from the FIM show, both want quality... this doesn't hit any of that.

Clearly they didn't do their research, but this isn't the first time hasbro has done something odd and if it doesn't sell well, I'm certain they'll come up with something else (possibly just as inconceivably ridiculous, but we can always hope). In the meantime, I'll just be glad my wallet is safe as this isn't something I want in the least.

I agree- this pony is so obviously NOT for bronies or for non FiM collectors-

I think all collectors would have loved something like a fantastic sculpture of Chrysalis- or Discord- or say a really cool sculpture of a G1 to G4 like Firefly or Lofty...  to recognize the new pony look but also acknowledge where it started.  That would have been appropriate considering the 30 years of pony...

Offline CrystalMist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Colorado is sooooo pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2013, 03:48:20 PM »
Well, for one thing, I know this sounds stupid, but I'd rather have this:

Talking Twilight Sparkle from Toys R Us. She's a lot more pretty and elegant.

And, judging by the pic below, she's huge!!

She looks a lot more like and adult collectable and the exact same price.
I'm always looking for a Blythe accessories. PM me for any info!cloud_weaver is the best sister ever!!! :heart:

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
The only thing that makes this an adult collectable are the darn stones. It's a choking hazard. Thus, in Hasbro's eyes makes it an adult collectable.

In the adult collectors eyes:

No, this just makes it a sad attempt at Hasbro at tossing something towards the adult audience.

We gave you what we wanted, new characters, new poses... How hard is it Hasbro?

I'm not sure what's left of what you can do to a fashion style to make it new and sell again. You've added wings, gems, glitter, new hats, different colored hair and clothes.

Hasbro sure likes to stick the CD player on repeat.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal