collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To Paint, or not to Paint?  (Read 656 times)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
To Paint, or not to Paint?
« on: May 03, 2013, 02:21:18 PM »
So I got my hands on a MLP Comic Con 2009 exlusive today and a Fluttershy Design a Pony. Now I have a sort of dillemma... Paint her to make her show acrurate or keep her like this. I actually like the little butterflies she has and Im scared that I might ruin her totally when I paint. But when I manage to put a lot of work in it she might turn out splendid.

Getting another one wont help since I dont have space enough in my cabinet.
So what do you think? What shall I do?

spookysage

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: To Paint, or not to Paint?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 02:26:10 PM »
You could paint her, with the butterflies! If you're worried about messing up, you can always redo paint. And congratulations on your new ponies!

Binny

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »
I removed all the extra stuff and painted mine to be show accurate, but I think the whole point is to have fun/make them how you want, so you should do whatever you like! :)

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 11:43:09 PM »
If I will paint her. Can you guys say what you used? Im planning to just use acrylics but m note sure. I hope I can find a show accurate collor instead of making one.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:56:28 AM »
I used a product called 'Goof Off" and qtips to remove that nasty tar-like black paint . Fair warning, acetone nail polish remover just smears the black lines and doesnt actually remove them, i highly suggest that product Goof Off. I have a youtube video, search 'mlp design a pony project' i painted her with a few coats of acrylic paint and used a clear gloss finish :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 12:58:50 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline TornadoTwist

• Dabbles Pony
  • Author of MLP Merch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 01:09:20 AM »
I used a product called 'Goof Off" and qtips to remove that nasty tar-like black paint . Fair warning, acetone nail polish remover just smears the black lines and doesnt actually remove them, i highly suggest that product Goof Off. I have a youtube video, search 'mlp design a pony project' i painted her with a few coats of acrylic paint and used a clear gloss finish :)

I heard that if you get pure aceton that you dont get to smearing. Might as well look for some. :) Not sure, but I expirienced that problem with regular nail polish remover.

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 03:04:36 AM »
Yes, pure aceton works wonders. And acrylic paints are the ones to look for. I also advice to invest in good brushes, they can make a big difference. Large, soft brushes work best for large areas, and long-bristled liner brushes are good for details since they are more flexible than spotter brushes. Good luck!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »
I am sure she ll be gorgeous when she is done. I ll admit I would leave her unfinished..although I couldnt tell you why...but the pictures I have seen of her when she has been painted are amazing!

Good luck!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Gogobinsin

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
I've tried painting Fluttershy's wings but they look so liney :( I need to redo them, does anyone have any tips on how to not leave brush strokes? I used a really soft small art type brush which I thought would have worked fine, maybe its the way I'm painting it? I need some help please.

spookysage

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:37:27 PM »
Water down the paint until it's almost too runny to stay on, and use a lot of layers. It can be kind of annoying if you're painting over anything but a light color or white, but it works!

Gogobinsin

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 03:49:05 AM »
Water down the paint until it's almost too runny to stay on, and use a lot of layers. It can be kind of annoying if you're painting over anything but a light color or white, but it works!
Thank you so much, it's a bit late to help me with the wings. I did do another coat with watered down paint and whilst the brush strokes aren't visible now, the paint looks really thick :( I should take all the paint off and start over but I don't know how to easily. I've started on the hair though, I've put 3 very thin coats on so far and it looks so smooth and great :) Thank you again :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal