collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony hair care help  (Read 676 times)

Offline faespirit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
  • Will there be exciting sights to see...
    • View Profile
Pony hair care help
« on: February 11, 2022, 01:22:56 PM »
so I recently bought a g1 streaky and she's loveliest thing ever ,but I noticed that her hair has sort of a dry texture to it, it's still curly and bouncy thankfully. since I don't know so much about g1s, I wanted ask did the rainbow curl ponies have a different hair texture or is it just this one bc of age? or did they have gel? I'd really like for it to be softer before I recurl it. would it be alright to use conditioner? coconut oil? or would that ruin it?
https://imgur.com/a/NleOPdv
« Last Edit: February 11, 2022, 01:27:44 PM by faespirit »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Pony hair care help
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 01:31:54 PM »
The hair will sometimes feel rougher because it is older. Since she doesn't seem to have her factory curls, I would personally try to condition the hair if it is not to your liking. :) If you use cold water, you may be able to preserve whats left of the wave.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2022, 01:41:43 PM »
factory curls?? ºДº she actually did have curls when she came in, I just brushed them out with hot water since it felt a bit dry .. I wanted it to look neater and softer :cry:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2022, 06:21:54 PM »
It happens to the best of us! You can condition factory curls too, but you'd have to keep the water cold and smoosh the curls a little bit.

:hug: Since they're already brushed out, I would just recurl and condition. :)

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2022, 10:20:47 PM »
She looks really nice! But if you want to check the original styling,

I found this picture on a website called toysisters

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline goddessofpeep

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 11:51:04 PM »
Since the Rainbow Curl Ponies had such extreme curls, they tend to get frizzy/rough hair more frequently.  The curls get tangled easily, and they can get completely matted, much more so than most other ponies.  Brushing out extremely tangled/matted hair can damage it, so these ponies, and the Candy Cane Ponies(they have the same kind of curls) tend to have frizzy hair. 

It’s hard to completely fix. You can use conditioner(the kind you can wash out) on them.  That might help.  It’s hard to de-frizz these ponies completely.  Re-curling the hair can hide the frizz. It’s difficult to restore these curls, but it’ll probably hide most of the damage.  The most common technique is to use plastic straws as curlers, and to dip the hair in boiling water briefly to set the curls.  There are tutorials online if you look.

I generally avoid using products that are left on ponies.  It’s hard to tell what will cause new issues in old ponies, especially a few years down the line.  There is restoration information and resources online.  A lot of people here will be able to give you advice on what to use and what to avoid using on your ponies.

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 09:16:22 AM »
thanks so much everyone! um I actually put some coconut oil in yesterday in hopes of it softening and washed it out today with conditioner. Her hair is a bit greasy from the oil but so much softer and thankfully she still has some of her beautiful waves. https://imgur.com/a/9kbMeBg
as for the grease, I think im gonna leave her like this for a few days so hopefully when it dries, it'll come out and then I can recurl it like the original style

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
If you wrap those damp waves around your finger into spirals (let them find the 'right' direction) and leave them on top like little doghnuts to dry they will make good curls again
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 11:22:41 AM »
In my experience, most dry hair can be fixed with letting it sit in conditioner for a while and then gently rinsing it out with cold water.

And pony hair is amazing for styling. If you wrap it up with curlers or straws when wet and leave it overnight, it sets really well. The curls may relax over time, but they still stay in pretty well. If you want to set the curls super permanent, while they're still in their curlers, dunk the hair in super hot water just for a few seconds and that heat sets them really well.

Offline faespirit

• Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 09:35:19 PM »
thanks for the tips guys :D update on her hair: I put in more conditioner and was actually able to get all the grease out and when I dried it, her waves looked so cute that I decided to leave her the way she was https://imgur.com/a/qBp5ePw
I wanted to do her hair the way it was originally but since I don't have any fat straws that'll have to wait i guess

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 05:34:29 PM »
She looks gorgeous. I actually prefer the looser curls.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 06:31:12 PM »
thanks for the tips guys :D update on her hair: I put in more conditioner and was actually able to get all the grease out and when I dried it, her waves looked so cute that I decided to leave her the way she was https://imgur.com/a/qBp5ePw
I wanted to do her hair the way it was originally but since I don't have any fat straws that'll have to wait i guess

She looks lovely.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Purpleglasses

• Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 11:37:00 PM »
In the future, the best way to preserve curls on a curly haired pony is to wash their hair in cold water. Heat makes curls loose.  I recently got a Ringlet from the same set who had VERY dry ends, and found that Pantene Pro-V Smooth and Sleek conditioner was immensely helpful in making her hair feel smooth and lush again. Her ends were quite dry and rough so I took a flat iron to her, and while she did arrive to me with curls, I don’t think they were original, so I didn’t feel so bad about it.

Another hair trick is to use a metal dog comb to detangle the hair. I got this one after years of just using a regular plastic comb and the difference is noticeable! The difference is really noticeable. https://www.petsmart.com/dog/grooming https://www.petsmart.com/dog/grooming-supplies/brushes-combs-and-blowdryers/top-paw-metal-pet-comb-5295650.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lVK-cSiN9GBFLlENzPluu2R1dfk-sESb9uemrIVoTM-vxABlBQAKCRoCKgoQAvD_BwE-supplies/brushes-combs-and-blowdryers/top-paw-metal-pet-comb-5295650.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=CjwKCAiA9aKQBhBREiwAyGP5lVK-cSiN9GBFLlENzPluu2R1dfk-sESb9uemrIVoTM-vxABlBQAKCRoCKgoQAvD_BwE

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal