collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Eradicating Mold  (Read 328 times)

AbrielleRose

• Trade Count: (0)
Eradicating Mold
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
I have 4 ponies that I received with mold inside. I have poured OxiClean in them, allowed them to sit, then scrubbed them out, and then followed up with bleach water soak inside them.. Some of them have one or 2 dots remaining that won't scrub off. Would you just call it a remaining stain or be concerned and continue working on them?

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Eradicating Mold
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 12:19:27 PM »
If you can get to the areas I would probably try treating the areas like pindot by heating the pony up and scrubbing with something slightly abrasive But I've never done pony mold removal.

AbrielleRose

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »
They are really hard to get to. I can't get my toothbrush all the way down the foot. I've scrubbed with pipe cleaners and needle nose pliers and nothing.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:53:44 PM »
I have to wonder if a water-pick type instrument, plus good cleaning chemicals, might do the job? If they just won't go away, there are mold spots that are just too deep in there. Best you can do is keep an eye on them to see if they're spreading. If not, the mold "colony" is probably dead, but has made its mark.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
You are far braver then I Abrielle. I would ship that pony off and overpay someone else to deal with mold or mildew. Bleck! XQ
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LunaMoonCustoms1212

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
I'm not sure how I would deal with mold, I would probably look at the MLPPresservationProject, but I don't know what they say about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

One does not simply stop collecting ponies.
Instagram: @lunamooncustoms

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:53:22 PM »
This is what I do crazy moldy/rusty ponies (totally caked, super stubborn, don't respond well to other treatments, mane plugs are full of gunk and won't clean up, etc - last resort ponies). I do not recommend it for light mold/rust. Its probably too hardcore for just a single leftover spot but it could be useful for the future.

- Take a large bowl of some sort you can fully submerge the pony's body in.
- Add Oxyclean. For ponies this bad I use about half a scoop sprinkled around the bottom and inside the body.
- Fill with HOT water (I do as hot as our taps get) until the pony is fully covered, making sure to fill the body by itself so it doesn't float.
- Let sit for some time, it really depends. I usually do 15-30m and flip the pony a few times if there's rust/mold on the outside too. If I'm soaking a head I leave it in for 10-15m at a time.
- Use a pony-cleaning toothbrush and Qtips (paper sticks preferred as they're easier to bend over plastic ones) to scrub the inside of the pony. It shouldn't take much work for the mold/rust to come off. Refill/cover the pony with hot water as needed to soften the plastic and help remove the gunk.

When ponies come out of that bath the mold just comes right off, even the super stubborn stuff. On the worst ponies I may repeat the process a second time. Its super nasty but it works!

The trick to getting gunk out of the weird areas and legs is suuuper hot water! Get that pony as flexible as possible! You can bend them so much farther than you'd think is possible as long as a pony hasn't gone through plasticizer leak and turned rock hard. Qtips are perfect for this.

If you've already bleached the ponies should be fine. I'd put them on my "quarantine" shelf and leave them be.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal