collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Pony Distribution Questions: Did Canada get US ponies or euro poniess?  (Read 3762 times)

Offline absol

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • mylittlewiki.org, mylittlewiki.org/absol-site
Hey all, I've been a long time lurking! But I'm on a my little wiki updating jag this summer  :enraged:

For starters, did Canada get US G1 or Euro G1? Or some mix..?

thanks!
absol

(Moving to pony corral - thanks LadyG)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:33:49 AM by LadyGuinevere »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
Fairly sure they got US issue ponies and no Euro, however at least some were on dual language cards if memory serves, the Canadian French being Ma Petite Pouliche or something like that, rather than Mon Petit Poney.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline absol

• View Profile
Fairly sure they got US issue ponies and no Euro, however at least some were on dual language cards if memory serves, the Canadian French being Ma Petite Pouliche or something like that, rather than Mon Petit Poney.

If that is the case, I was thinking "North American Ponies" would be more accurate than "US Ponies"...

(thanks for the move!)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
It would, that's true, and I do sometimes refer to them as that myself (though not always). It's much the same in that Euro is generally more accurate than UK for many ponies, but there's a lot of interchanging of the terms.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Yes, we got the same ponies as the US releases in Canada, and Lady G is correct that the packaging was bilingual: My Little Pony and Ma Petite Pouliche.

Elf

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook

If that is the case, I was thinking "North American Ponies" would be more accurate than "US Ponies"...

(thanks for the move!)

But Mexico is also part of North America.  Hmm maybe Northern North American ponies lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline absol

• View Profile

(thanks for the move!)

But Mexico is also part of North America.  Hmm maybe Northern North American ponies lol

(thanks for the move!)

Thanks for the responses all! I totally forgot that Mexico is actually in in North America. Would "US/Canada" really be the mostest accurate maybe? Opinions? I have gotten some emails lately from collectors worried that the wiki had forgotten about their country. For instance, since I didn't have a page for Poland, someone insisted to me that Poland did in fact have My Little Ponies ;;_;; So I thought souping up the clarity of nationality, and being more clear about where ponies were made vs where ponies were sold, would be a fun project =P (I love these details way too much.)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Mexico made a lot of their ponies, though later on, I believe, they imported some due to how popular they were...especially the babies :)
Other countries that made their own ponies include Japan, Italy, Macau (technically China), Argentina, Brazil, Greece, Thailand, Peru....uh....brain fart! Help!
Germany had ponies made in Hong Kong, but were kind of alternates to the normal ponies, such as the Princess ponies and the Nestie babies, among others.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:41:36 PM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
It's tricky finding accurate terms . . . "UK pony" was one of the first terms for ponies not found in the US / Canada, but then there are ponies only found in Germany / Austria . . . And then I still don't know which ponies Australia / New Zealand got (except apparently they got the alternate Birthflowers).

I dunno.  They're really historical terms, as far as the community goes.   Maybe a note explaining that?  I think "US / Canada ponies" sounds too cumbersome to be used regularly, personally.

Besides which, a lot of "US ponies" were sold in other countries.  But then--some weren't.  It's messy because Hasbro's distribution was messy, ha ha!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Mexico had their own packaging as well...i think maybe it'd be easier to divide them into packaging subsects...."My Little Pony" for US, "My Little Pony/Ma Petit Pouliche" for Canada, "Mio Piquenio Pony" for Spain, "Mein Kleines Pony" Germany, "Mon Petit Poney" France, "Mio Mini Pony" Italy...though Italy-made and Macau-made ponies were packaged in German packaging...yeesh. I don't envy you your quest! Macau ponies were only released in Germany (and France...thank you MissPomPon), and although many look the same as the regular releases (Minty and Lemondrop, for example) they do have specific differences and alternate colors (Butterscotch-Blosscotch, Snuzzledrop) with Macau names (Blue Belle was Belly, for instance)
Germany is also its own thang...i mean, it was East/West there for a while, so East (i think) Germany didn't have My Little Pony at all for earlier 80's releases. Japan has the baby pony keychains, which anyone would instantly recognize as MLP, wheras the Takaras look nothing like a pony! 
We here in Canada got everything the same as the US, but we had no euro releases at all....the only real difference was in the packaging.
I wonder, if ther are Nirvana ponies, should the packaging be considered Nirvana in its own right, separate from the toy inside, wherever it was made? I think a black hole just opened in my cerebral cortex....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 05:32:47 AM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
99% of the Canadian releases were the same as the US ones.  There were some slight variations in distribution, for example the second set of adult sea ponies seem far more common here than in the US where a lot of places never had them on the shelf, and we had the Sears exclusive Megan's Place packaged with Sundance/Megan.  The Pony Friend Llama (Rama Llama) was only offered on Canadian mail order pamphlets.  I suspect the rarer purple version of Baby Princess Sparkle is also native to Canada, but it's largely the same.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Miss_Pompon

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Macau ponies were only released in Germany.

No, they were also sold in France ;)

Made by LordBlumiere, thank you so much

My Want List

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile

Aha! That, i did not know! Were they packaged on French cards? I've only ever seen ones in German packaging...and i find far more in Germany than anywhere else...though ponies have a tendancy to migrate as people do :lol:

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
99% of the Canadian releases were the same as the US ones.  There were some slight variations in distribution, for example the second set of adult sea ponies seem far more common here than in the US where a lot of places never had them on the shelf, and we had the Sears exclusive Megan's Place packaged with Sundance/Megan.  The Pony Friend Llama (Rama Llama) was only offered on Canadian mail order pamphlets.  I suspect the rarer purple version of Baby Princess Sparkle is also native to Canada, but it's largely the same.

I think Rama llama was also in the us because I remember ordering her.
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline absol

• View Profile

aah, I had been wondering where macau ponies were actually found.

also, omg I AM going to have to include something of a history of the collecting terminology to explain the continued use of international/uk/euro ponies interchangeably.

What experiences do people have with which countries in europe definitely getting ponies (not even country specific, just ponies in general) and which countries definitely didn't?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal