collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Damn these plastic prisons!  (Read 793 times)

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Damn these plastic prisons!
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:58:34 AM »
I haven't removed many ponies and playsets from their packaging since the 80s, except for the odd set here and there, and the first wave of G3s.  I love the packaging of the MIB ponies, and it keeps them somewhat safe from damage and dust.  Plus the few G4s that I released all had some flaws that couldn't be seen in the packaging, with the exception of the Fashion Style ponies, who have all been great.

As you can imagine, that takes up a lot of room, and since I don't have room to display more than a handfull of G1s anyway, they are all in bins stacked to the ceiling. 

Well, I'm running out of room, with all the baby stuff we've got.  I haven't had too much luck selling MIB G3s, partially because shipping is so high from Canada, and I've had no luck at all locally.  I'm already trying to sell them for less than I paid, but it's not worth it to go much lower...so I've decided to start de-boxing some sets.  I started last night with the G3 mermaid ponyville stuff, and a few G4 playsets, and holy heck!  These plastic prisons they come in are insane!  It's actually tiring, and I haven't even gotten to the separating of cardboard from plastic for recycling yet!  It took me over an hour to free 6 sets!  And I had to employ scissors!  I guess I've just been spoiled by G1 stuff.  On a different note, the mermaid castle is awesome!

I know this is all probably old news to the non-MiB collectors, but my how the packaging has changed.  If I didn't have scissors and a box cutter, I'd still be at it  :P

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
Re: Damn these plastic prisons!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 12:05:56 PM »
I had to stop collecting MIB G3's after about 6 months...they just took up to much space! So I had a deboxing party :) And now they are all freeee!!!!!
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
I've nearly sliced myself on that plastic. It's awful. Is theft really that bad that they had to resort to impossible-to-open packaging?? -__-

Edit: Oh? You mean to tell me this isn't about trying to open boxes? My mistake.. Carry on >____<"

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
Been there i know what you mean! Took me one christmas, a scalpel, several hundred ziplock baggies and 3 jurassic park movies to get through them all!
Jem :biggrin:
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »
I'm considering doing this myself - I decided that I really didn't want to collect anything but G1s but I have TONS of G3's still  MIB - but people keep telling me that they are not even worth what I paid for them - then why sell them? But storage issues are a nightmare.....Of course, in the future MIB might be worth more - but then again might not....meanwhile I have a entire closet full of boxes of MIB G3s...
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
I go back and forth on selling my mib G3s as well. I am so far opting to keep them since they really aren't worth much at all.

I do like how the boxes stack for the G3s. The G4 boxes I don't like at all and I think everything after G1s are just plain wasteful. I agree that it's a shame.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Really? I always thought g3s were really easy to debox. Open the top, reach in, grab pony, PULL, move onto next.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
Yes...as the years pass the ponies get smaller...the packaging gets tougher!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »
Yeah I always use scissors to open my G4s.  Mostly so I can save the back cards and little marketing tidbits they include.  But yeah I agree with you how keeping them MIB keeps them nice and dust free.  As far as modern packaging goes... at least MI"box" ponies can stand up better than MO"card" ponies.

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:34:52 PM »
I can't stand the packaging now the things they do to prevent theft these days. I am just waiting for the day you need a chainsaw, 20 barrels of corrosive liquid, and a jackhammer to debox your ponies.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:43:42 PM »
I remember de-boxing barbies ages ago... that was a chore as a kid... those super long really hard twist ties and those plastic things that held them together (yea that's really descriptive but you all know what I mean)... Glad you're enjoying your collection buttercreamdream!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »
I know what you mean.  G3's were horrible to get out of their boxes; I had to ask for help on many occasions (had I been the age I am now when I got those, I'd probably be missing a finger or two now... :blush: ).

G4's, I've noticed, are a bit easier.  But then again, maybe I just did things the hard way before.  I'd have to get an MIB G3 pony to check.

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 05:14:07 PM »
I can't stand the packaging now the things they do to prevent theft these days. I am just waiting for the day you need a chainsaw, 20 barrels of corrosive liquid, and a jackhammer to debox your ponies.
:lmao:

I don't find the G3s ponies too bad, it's the playsets and the g4s that are killing me (though I haven't opened any playful ponies yet).  I do appriciate how nice the playsets look on display, compared to the G1 playsets that were boxed up.  You can display them in box, which is hard to do with the G1 playsets. 

Now that I'm opening them, I just can't get over the amount of garbage!  I wish I could order just the ponies straight from hasbro without all the packaging.  I base a lot of my consumer choices around how much packaging and garbage is involved, but ponies are my huge exception. 

Lol, I remember opening barbies!  I think I used to need help from grown-ups for that!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
You guys can send all those MIB G3's to me and I shall trade the loose ones.  But yeah they where in there to stay which is why there was not so much thief on them as some toys lines TRU carried.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 12:24:08 AM »
I find G4 packaging to be easier to open actually...all you need to do is tear or cut the tape from the box, remove the pony, cut/tear the plastic from her hair & voila.

With G3s, you have some wires, careful removal of the hooves from the tight plastic mold, layers of tape & the box display itself... The box alone could take a good 5 min to disassemble :lol:

(By the way, I totally understand your frustration with expensive Canadian shipping. I'm on the same boat. >_< It's such a shame, shipping costs more than the G3 pony itself - MIB or deboxed. Good luck with your sales!)
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal