collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is it the End of the Line for EQGs?  (Read 2795 times)

QueenGusty

• Trade Count: (0)
Is it the End of the Line for EQGs?
« on: August 24, 2016, 04:12:03 PM »
I'll warn y'all from the start this is going to get long.

The full-size Equestria Girls dolls: Were they doomed from the start?

Background: -

I've been a collector of the EQuestria Girls dolls (EQGs) for around 2 1/2 years now. I have had a love for fashion dolls and once collected the Fashion Fever Barbies. I just love dressing dolls up. So when the EQGs were originally announced I was half-excited and half-apprehensive. The first preview images seemed ok, the faces were cute and the ears were an adorable little touch (I hadnt seen the movie yet) but then I got the opportunity to see them in the flesh at the first time at BUCK 13.

To say I was not impressed was the understatement of the year. NO FEET!!!!

So that turned me off the idea and I was pretty much committed to loathing them. Hasbro wanted to take on the juggernaut that is Monster High? Well, they were doing it WRONG.

February 2014. Enter Cellyzombie. Or as she was known then "The Celestia doll with pony" Talked into buying her by my then girlfriend as she knew I was a Celly fan and hey- cute Celly pony with her! I decided she would be my sole EQG. I deboxed her, did a review on fbook for her - still majorly unimpressed and she sat on my table for a couple of days.

And then she ate my brains. (See? CellyZOMBIE) It's still the only explanation I can come up with.

The juggernaut began. First adding the super long haired RD (who would become known as Hairadash) and then the "Deluxe" RD. Because my little zombie was so teeny she simply couldn't fit into my Barbies clothes. They laughed at her when she tried.

Anyway, that's how I became an EQG collector. A small zombiedoll ate my brains in order to get more clothes.

The Decline

The Rainbow Rocks line. Despite the dual coloured legs and the first appearance of plastic tops, it was a rip-roaring success in this house. So many amazing dolls - Super Fashion Trixie, Octavia, the extra fashion dolls, it was a really good decent line and hasbroken gave the girls FEET! The hair was also rooted thicker, it was still patchy in places but it actually seemed they'd listened and were actually trying to make a decent go of the line.

Then last year, Friendship Games. Something that could have been so, so awesome went so, so wrong. The first red flags were there but nothing severe. Distribution was rubbish, I'm STILL missing three School Spirit dolls.

And now, Legend of Everfree.

First things first - the number of releases has dwindled. Secondly, the quality is...I'm sorry but nearly the entirety of Sunset's Boho outfit being PLASTIC? Plastic BOTTOMS??? What in the name of Her on High were Hasbro THINKING? Even the articulation has gone down - the dolls that would be considered "deluxe" i.e. a £20 price tag have had their articulation dimished to just knees - previous lines they had both knee and elbow.

What Went Wrong (Or alternatively, what never was right)?

It's no secret that EQG was intended to take on Monster High, the stupid crazy popular doll line and webseries/movie from Mattel. The problem is however, if you want to take on something like that, you HAVE to look at what they're doing and emulate it. NOT do a ha;f-finished job which is where EQG suffers.

Monster High (at it's height):

Full articulation INCLUDING wrist
Cleverly constructed to make re-dressing easier (hand removable etc)
Full fabric, detailed outfits.
Lots of cute accessories
A full and diverse range of characters, each with their own signature style
Several lines released throughout the year from budget slimline dolls to full on deluxe dolls so something for every price point but even the budget dolls (until recently) had FULL. FABRIC. OUTFITS. AND. ARTICULATION.

Equestria Girls:

Minimal articulation on the majority of dolls
Tendency on the basic lines to go for plastic clothes over fabric
Accessories that aren't really much use (I'm looking at you, Archery girls!)
Not taking advantage of the character available (There's only been one release of the CMC, the majority of dolls are the Mane Seven)
Entire year release revolve around ONE movie. (seriously, they could have RUN with the Friendship games thing - swim line, cheer line, athletics but nope, they stuck to what was in the movie and uhm, even than the outfits weren't ACCURATE - where's the cute short and tee combos from the preview of LoE that has been shown?)

And we'll not even go into the whole EQG mini thing... I mean wow, everybody loves them so time to chuck the full size ones right Hasbroken? Oh, and let's not be lying here - bet they're cheaper to produce. I mean that's really what this all boils down to - Hasbro wanted to take on Monster High but do it cheap. You can't do that. It doesn't work and it's completely blown a hole in SS Equestria Girls.

In short, Hasbroken had a wonderful opportunity and they blew it by being cheap. Which makes me indescribably sad. Ponies and fashion, it was a dream combo. I love dressing my dolls up and seeing what they look like in different outfits and knowing that we're probably looking at the very last line of the full size dolls...well...it's just sad. I really do not see Hasbroken trying to revive the line after this year. It's more likely the Minis will take over and to me, despite the cute factor, they're no FUN. You can't redress them and it annoys me that their accessories are already so much better than their full size counterparts.

Carrie (and a very sad little zombiedoll)

Offline biff

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Fakie!
  • ~mew~
    • View Profile
    • Lizzkitt3h's Crafty Things
Re: Is it the End of the Line for EQGs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 04:42:21 PM »
I agree and have been overall fairly disappointed in the line.  I did finally pick up a few of the later release ones with feet which I did like, but the early dolls I just don't really care for.  I think we're about to see the dolls completely disappear pretty soon.  Most of the ones I've seen have been clearanced here and I've seen no new dolls.  The minis have been showing and I like the look, but I've already heard of several breaking issues (back on the poor quality issue you mentioned).

I'm also going to add the bottom dollar budget dolls were even more dull that were at Dollar General. No real hair and all plastic clothing.  I also have been overall disappointed at their accuracy with the show.  They just don't look like the characters to me.  I'd almost wish they had released human dolls as well (what the characters spend the majority of their time being on the show).

I am glad they did their improvements, but I think but then they already turned of a lot of people from picking them up which probably helped solidify the failure of the line as a whole. :'(

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:00:45 PM »
First things first - the number of releases has dwindled. Secondly, the quality is...I'm sorry but nearly the entirety of Sunset's Boho outfit being PLASTIC? Plastic BOTTOMS???

Boho Fluttershy and Rarity and Geometric Pinkie and Bon Bon have full fabric dresses along with a removable plastic accessory piece. So really it's all over the place as far as quality goes.

The minis have been showing and I like the look, but I've already heard of several breaking issues (back on the poor quality issue you mentioned).

A prominent youtube toy reviewer that had a few bad experiences with the first wave was sent some of the newer ones to review and they were thankfully free of breakage issues so it looks like Hasbro fixed whatever the issues was that caused the breakage.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »
I admit that the only thing I like EQG these days for is customizing. I'm able to give them a face I'm happy with...but only after extensive modding.

What I feel is a huge blow against these dolls is their many limitations. Some can't pose at all, some have mismatching legs that don't look good in most outfits(including the ones they come with) some (Like Sugarcoat) come with glue in their hair. It's tedious to have to work around these things to enjoy these dolls sometimes. I want to like them more. I truly do. But Hasbro doesn't make it easy. They missed everything about what makes MH and EAH popular to begin with - quality...and good design. I find 90% of the outfits these dolls come with absolutely tacky. I don't mean to offend anyone else's taste, but they aren't for me. I always end up replacing their clothes. But again, it's hard with those weird legs.

I admit, I'm on the EQG mini train. I like the aesthetic much more, I don't have to mod them, and they're sometimes more poseable than the main line is. They're easier to like because I don't have to work around problems to enjoy them. Though I do agree that I wish I could change their outfits and not have to buy a whole new one for a new outfit. But I feel that's a problem I have with all playline dolls now. Want a new dress? Gotta buy a new $15 doll to get it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:26:34 PM by Noxxbunny »

Princess Lala

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:03:40 PM »
I hope it is the end, I just cant see how much longer they can drag this series and push out dolls. The pony show is the one kids are interested in watching right now it seems! I cant tell ya how many EQG dolls I see in the thrift store versus G4 "ponies". I have all the dolls from the first movie and one Rainbow Rocks doll just because I wanted the Rarity pony it came with, I never picked up any other dolls except the SDCC exclusive last year.

I think Hasbro should keep making vinyl chibis though because they are cute and are selling well! I REALLY wish they started making those instead of the dolls. I would have bought every character twice!  :P They go so well with other toyline playsets and rement/doll food! They don't have brushable hair which is great for photography.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 09:17:12 PM by Princess Lala »

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:44:45 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me, I don't know how well the dolls did, I didn't bother following them, but I thought they were doomed from the start if they were competing with Monster High. They were genuinely inferior in every way when first released--no feet, painted on clothes, most not articulated, etc-- yet with the same price tag.

By Rainbow Rocks, I think they were starting to work a little harder on them, but by that point the first impression was already set...and to be honest, most of the dolls were starting to look the same. There were, what, six different Twilight dolls released for one movie? Kind of excessive. I know Hasbro likes the mane 6, but the dolls are a lot more expensive than the ponies.

I, like many others, do like the EQG minis. But the only reason I even have one is because she was 'free' (back during Easter when Target was having that $10 off $50 toy deal, I was buying a gift for my cousin that was $40 and figured I might as well slip in an extra item or two and take advantage). I think they fit in a lot better with the G4 style--cute and simplified. I think Hasbro is starting to milk it already though, they've been out for a year or less and there are already 5-6 each of the mane 6?  :shrug:

I don't necessarily want to see EQG die, it has fans and it would be disappointing for them. Though if this is the last hurrah, I won't miss them.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 05:04:40 AM »
The ultimate irony of this little doll production spat between companies is a loss of quality in both lines. Monster High (and also EAH, which uses similar articulation, if a little less colour palette) began as very high quality dolls and even the budget release dolls up to now had still got articulation. Even the ones that didn't get stands, like the Boo York Frightseers, or whatever the set is properly called. Now we have Monster High dolls with no articulation in limbs and painted shoes (apparently).

Meanwhile, EQG never began with the same level of articulation and detail as Monster High, but did undercut the retail price on some equivalent releases. Now they're cheapening their line because you know, competing with MH is hard.

So basically, the two lines have battered each others' sales so much that the solution on both sides seems to be cheapen the dolls = save money.

I guess these are kids' toys and so it will really be that market that decides it. But I am sad that the MH (and EAH) line is going the way it is (even the articulated ones have now got horribly sanitised expressions, and some of the EAH smily dolls are terrifying), and I think that, probably, hasbro will pull back on EQG and refocus on the brushables and other actual ponies.

One point of note, though. While this competition has been going on, Hasbro's Rainbow Rocks I don't think had anything to do with Monster High, and I think that Mattel's random release of dolls with instruments in a different line (Royals?) indicates that, too. Rainbow Rocks was a way to incorporate the ideas of the Jem line, and colours, and music concept, but in a stable, popular line that wasn't going to flop in the way Jem did. In the 1980s, Barbie and the Rockers did significant damage to Jem because she was cheaper and it was easier to get fashions to fit her. Hasbro tying that concept into MLP actually probably helped that line to flourish and put pressure on Mattel. I feel like Rainbow Rocks had a definite idea to it, and thus it worked. Since then, that 'idea' is a bit more vague.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »
Now we have Monster High dolls with no articulation in limbs and painted shoes (apparently).

Those unarticulated dolls with molded tops and painted shoes only retail for $5. They are to give an even cheaper budget option as well as something for younger kids who might play too rough for the elbow and wrist joints to handle.

But I am sad that the MH (and EAH) line is going the way it is (even the articulated ones have now got horribly sanitised expressions, and some of the EAH smily dolls are terrifying),

I wouldn't say the new MH have sanitized expressions, just younger and less sexy looking. Because after all it is a doll line for kids so perhaps it's more appropriate that way than having a bunch of high schoolers who look more like runway models in their mid 20s.

I think that Mattel's random release of dolls with instruments in a different line (Royals?) indicates that, too.

The only release with instruments I can think of is the Monster High Fierce Rockers and Star Darlings but Star Darlings isn't Mattel. Star Darlings is made by Jakks.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 08:36:23 AM by Wardah »

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 09:44:45 AM »
I was never a fan of the EQG dolls. Didn't like the faces, the outfits, nothing about them appealed to me. I really don't mind if they're being phased out. What I really want is more brushables of different characters (not just the 6) in varied poses. Gimmicks like glitter or pearly bodies are nice, but still they look so static and blah in the same pose. I've pretty much stopped looking at G4 ponies altogether. Maybe Hasbro is releasing different poses now. If so I'd gladly start collecting G4 again. But right now I'm happy collecting G3 ponies. Colorful, dynamic ponies that have movement in their poses, even if I wish there were more pegs & unis. I wish the MLP line would return to its roots- ponies that are fun to play with. Leave the fashion dolls to MH and Barbie and EAH. They've saturated the market so it was always going to be a struggle introducing the EQG line. I won't be sorry to see them go.
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
Now we have Monster High dolls with no articulation in limbs and painted shoes (apparently).

Those unarticulated dolls with molded tops and painted shoes only retail for $5. They are to give an even cheaper budget option as well as something for younger kids who might play too rough for the elbow and wrist joints to handle.

Maybe in the US. In the UK the payscale is not even close to being that generous. I've seen them retailing here for around £10. I have no idea what that is in the current mangled conversion between $ and £, but in old money terms that would rate at around $16. Which I think is around what your non-basic dolls retail for. Not everywhere is as lucky as the US for pricing.

I wouldn't say the new MH have sanitized expressions, just younger and less sexy looking. Because after all it is a doll line for kids so perhaps it's more appropriate that way than having a bunch of high schoolers who look more like runway models in their mid 20s.

I saw them in Smyths last Saturday now they are mostly all out here. Maybe vapid is a better description. But it solves my space problem so I'm fine with it. It's just a shame. It's exactly what happened with people fussing over Misfits and fishnets, but that was thirty years ago. You'd think society would've grown up now those kids are parents, but I guess not. Oh well. Never mind. Either way, its obvious there's some reason for the reboot of MH, and I'm pretty sure you'll find that sales and competition with cheaper EQG forms some part of it. Mattel and Hasbro are well known for challenging each other's products in this kind of competitive way.

The only release with instruments I can think of is the Monster High Fierce Rockers and Star Darlings but Star Darlings isn't Mattel. Star Darlings is made by Jakks.

The line I'm talking about are the Rock 'n Royals, which are Barbie, and have a plotline that sounds freakishly similar to the plot of the Princess and the Singer from the old Jem series, plus a pink haired girl with a microphone and a changeable stage outfit...

I was discounting the MH rockers as they are MH. I meant a completely separate battle that has been going on with this theme between those two companies for a Very. Long. Time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 09:49:40 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

QueenGusty

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 09:50:34 AM »

Boho Fluttershy and Rarity and Geometric Pinkie and Bon Bon have full fabric dresses along with a removable plastic accessory piece. So really it's all over the place as far as quality goes.

You are absolutely right - I've got all the Boho girls and just blew £60 on a couple of the Crystal Gala and Geo girls as well yesterday. Compared to the fabric dress Boho Rarity is wearing, Geo Pinkie's dress is a lot thicker and sturdier. i love Rarity's but it is VERY VERY thin. I love Boho Flutters' outfit - her dress is too cute but I think I'd like the plastic part more if...you didn't have to pull her head off to get it off. (no word of a lie - the halterneck does NOT have any fastening at the neck piece) So yeah quality all over the show....I really want to shake the person who thought plastic skirts / shorts were a good idea though. Really, really want to shake them.

And back to the cheapening - both Geo Lyra and Geo Sweetie use the same leg mold as Rainbow Rocks wave 1 Pinkie - the white legged one with the molded ribbons. Except theirs are blue and teal respectively. And of course Crystal Wings RD has already been shown to have the leg mold of her Rocking Hair counterpart....one that makes it look like she has some sort of flesh eating disease...><

i just wish companies wouldn't try and be so cheap. A lot of people are complaining about the prevalence of mini dresses in the new MH lines as well and woah, EAH...what HAPPENED? So it's across the board. I would happily pay more for full fabric, detailed outfits and full articulation but eh, guess I'm not really the target market huh?

As regards the Minis, I feel had they come out first, I would have been all over them. But I'm biased and seeing them take away from my pretty ponydollies makes me hiss at them :shrug: (although if they release a Celly mini, I'll be getting her because well, Celly!)

Cellyzombie: And I shall teach the way of the zombie. My very own Mini Me muhahahahahah!

Carrie

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 11:34:34 AM »
Hasbro wanted to take on the juggernaut that is Monster High?
No, just tailgating on its success. EQG was a short-term idea, and it was short-lived too. The fact that the movies and the minis were a semi-success are the only reason this line is being milked still.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 01:39:33 PM »

Maybe in the US. In the UK the payscale is not even close to being that generous. I've seen them retailing here for around £10. I have no idea what that is in the current mangled conversion between $ and £, but in old money terms that would rate at around $16. Which I think is around what your non-basic dolls retail for. Not everywhere is as lucky as the US for pricing.

Well considering the US is the main market, the lines are developed with US price points in mind. It kinda sucks that they cost so much over there since they are clearly meant to be more affordable and sturdy than the slim box dolls but that's on the local branch.

I saw them in Smyths last Saturday now they are mostly all out here. Maybe vapid is a better description. But it solves my space problem so I'm fine with it. It's just a shame. It's exactly what happened with people fussing over Misfits and fishnets, but that was thirty years ago. You'd think society would've grown up now those kids are parents, but I guess not. Oh well. Never mind. Either way, its obvious there's some reason for the reboot of MH, and I'm pretty sure you'll find that sales and competition with cheaper EQG forms some part of it. Mattel and Hasbro are well known for challenging each other's products in this kind of competitive way.

I actually felt their original expressions were more vapid. I still liked them of course but to me they always looked kinda bored. But that's just my opinion.

The line I'm talking about are the Rock 'n Royals, which are Barbie, and have a plotline that sounds freakishly similar to the plot of the Princess and the Singer from the old Jem series, plus a pink haired girl with a microphone and a changeable stage outfit...

Oh that was a while back here so I totally forgot about them. Since then Barbie has moved on to Spy Squad and now Star Light Adventure.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 01:45:09 PM »

Oh that was a while back here so I totally forgot about them. Since then Barbie has moved on to Spy Squad and now Star Light Adventure.

I have no idea if they are still out here too,but they were out at the same time as Rainbow Rocks, which was also ages ago, hence the link xD. It was heavily discussed in the Jem community when both lines happened, as a kind of flashback to Jem vs rhe Rockers kind of war. I think Hasbro held their own this time, though, because of RR's pony tie in. Some elements of RR's movie are almost like they came direct from Jem's TO special/first five episodes. But that is an old battle, and probably unconnected to the bigger MH EAH/EQG sale contest.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:27 PM »
I haven't seen any new full sized EG stuff in my local stores since the minis came out, and I haven't seen very much EG minis stuff either.
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal