collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Took the plunge and watched some G1 specials  (Read 8538 times)

Offline Lore-Lei

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Took the plunge and watched some G1 specials
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:19:14 AM »
I watched Crunch, the Rockdog and The Magic Coins. I'll be honest, I was pretty reluctant at first considering Adventure is not my kind of genre, plus how dark I've heard it is. I wish I'd have did sooner, now though.

I absolutely love Wind Whistler. Her voice is so beautiful and mature, reminds me of Venus Terzo's Rainbow Dash. I always were fond of intellectual characters and she fits into my favorites with a T.  Galaxy comes for close second, she got the same beautiful voice and language but she's more of a 'wise mage' type character.
And then there's Fizzy with her cute, uh, 'Fizzy-ness', Truly with that accent, Heart Throb's 'darlings' which were a wish came true after a while, and so many more. I never imagined the series having such a diverse character cast, actually.

I love it!  :lovey:

The only thing is... what's with G1 and turning Dream Valley into a deserted wasteland? Might be that I just picked two episodes with it in a row, but seriously, what's up with that?

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
Re: Took the plunge and watched some G1 specials
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
Those (along with "The Quest of the Princess Ponies") are the only episodes that involve turning Dream Valley into a wasteland.  One episode involved it being turned into an ocean.

You hit the cream of the crop.  They're the two best episodes of the series.  Though, especially if you want more Wind Whistler and Fizzy, check out Mish Mash Melee.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:00:41 AM »
I already did. A friend of mine suggested it some while ago. Wind Whistler giggling was absolutely adorable.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:11:14 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it, G1 has a lot of charm and a lot of fun. (80s cartoons usually are like that) ^.^ There are a lot of great episodes. You should sit down sometime and really watch it. You may be surprised.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 11:17:08 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
And the ponies were far from flat.  They just aren't over the top cartoony like the FiM main cast.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
Those (along with "The Quest of the Princess Ponies") are the only episodes that involve turning Dream Valley into a wasteland.  One episode involved it being turned into an ocean.

Don't forget the ice age in Baby it's Cold Outside. Wrecking Dream Valley seems to be pretty high on the agenda. XD

If you like Galaxy, by the way, she has a principal role in Baby, it's Cold Outside. Pretty sure she also sings...

Crunch the Rock Dog is one of those episodes that should be really silly but actually is really not silly, because of Wind Whistler. I admit this is the ONLY characterisation that I like better in the US version than the UK comic version. UK Wind Whistler is, quite frankly, a silly whistling idiot. The animated one is educated, intelligent and strategically capable. Also, she gets horribly bullied for it by (I think) Gusty and Buttons. As a kid I identified with that as I was always picked on for "not reacting properly". So to me Wind Whistler represents all autistic kids out there in that episode, and I guess that's one reason why I love her.

My childhood favourite was Revolt of Paradise Estate. Wind Whistler isn't in that, but Paradise and Sweetie and Baby Cuddles are lovely in it.

G1 is quite creepy-dark on occasion, when you stop and think about the implications of some of the episodes. Stealing shadows and sucking out youth and so on...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 05:19:09 PM »
And someone plagued with bad luck was wrecking the place with his presence.  Bounty Hunters tore a path through the convicts they were chasing sucked it dry of nutrients.  Yeah, they wrecked Dream Valley more often than they wreck Ponyville on FiM.

Wind Whistler is definitely what they use to call Asperger's Syndrome (now they just call it high functioning autism).  She was a hero to the Aspies of the world (the reason why that fanfiction enraged me on such a personal level as it felt like an attack on what I am).

I actually like much of what the U.K. comic did better as well.  Though, it also had more of it.  Though, I like to blend Shady and Gusty's U.K. and U.S. personalities as they make for more interesting character development.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »
Have you watched Rescue at Midnight Castle yet?  It is my absolute favorite in addition to being the very first mlp special ever.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
I really enjoy the Bright Lights episodes, that's why I made a Knight Shade custom is in my avatar  ^.^

Also Flight to cloud castle is very good, is an episode I didn't watched as a child, only now when I got into the internet

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »
And someone plagued with bad luck was wrecking the place with his presence.  Bounty Hunters tore a path through the convicts they were chasing sucked it dry of nutrients.  Yeah, they wrecked Dream Valley more often than they wreck Ponyville on FiM.

Those were the 1980s. Someone put together a montage of Jem clips where violent and reckless things happened a while ago. Stuff you wouldn't see now. I think MLP is the same. There is a lot of subtext, some of which you really don't see 100% until you're older xD. (Like Katrina/drugs)

Wind Whistler is definitely what they use to call Asperger's Syndrome (now they just call it high functioning autism).  She was a hero to the Aspies of the world (the reason why that fanfiction enraged me on such a personal level as it felt like an attack on what I am).
No clue what fanfic you're talking about but suspect greatly that I have zero interest in reading it ;)

(Most people I know still use the Aspie definition. Because ASD is too wide a term. HFA is the older term, and people never did decide if HFA was the same as Asperger's. Meh. As you say, Wind Whistler is an Aspie icon either way :) She's awesome :)

Though, it also had more of it.  Though, I like to blend Shady and Gusty's U.K. and U.S. personalities as they make for more interesting character development.
I dislike the US depiction of both of them, to be honest. Especially Gusty, because of her bullying WW in Crunch. Though the one that annoys me the most was always Magic Star, for being bossy, boring and a nonevent. A far cry from the "Most magical pony in all ponyland" that I grew up with. I found it really hard to identify with characters that were that diverse from the comics, except for Wind Whistler, who was lovely. Paradise was my favourite, though, probably in part because of the Revolt ep, and in part because she never had a UK personality to contradict ;)

Flight to Cloud Castle, is that the one with SS Twilight in it..? I think that's the ep that wasn't released in the UK for a long long time on VHS, if it was at all...I might be misremembering though?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 06:32:22 PM »
No clue what fanfic you're talking about but suspect greatly that I have zero interest in reading it ;)
It's a G1 leads to G4 story.  It made Wind Whistler into essentially a malfunctioning robot.
(Most people I know still use the Aspie definition. Because ASD is too wide a term. HFA is the older term, and people never did decide if HFA was the same as Asperger's. Meh.
That might be the case in the U.K.  Here they've gone back to HFA.
As you say, Wind Whistler is an Aspie icon either way :) She's awesome :)
That she is.  Though, I like to think she sings as a hobby.  Sarah Partridge (the woman who voiced her) actually transitioned from an actress to a singer.
I dislike the US depiction of both of them, to be honest. Especially Gusty, because of her bullying WW in Crunch.
I changed the bullying to be more defensiveness and a front of being rough and tough.  She wants to defend those she cares for.  That is why she takes interest in nursing.  She also loves fall when she can blow leaves into piles and jump in them.  I also have her having a crippling fear of heights.
Though the one that annoys me the most was always Magic Star, for being bossy, boring and a nonevent. A far cry from the "Most magical pony in all ponyland" that I grew up with.
Magic Coins tried to get closer to that with her ability to sense the innate "luck" of a place and having a collection of lucky and magical artifacts.  I like the idea she is magical but through collecting, studying, and using artifacts.
I found it really hard to identify with characters that were that diverse from the comics, except for Wind Whistler, who was lovely. Paradise was my favourite, though, probably in part because of the Revolt ep, and in part because she never had a UK personality to contradict ;)
She was also a great pony too.  Best pony storyteller.
Flight to Cloud Castle, is that the one with SS Twilight in it..? I think that's the ep that wasn't released in the UK for a long long time on VHS, if it was at all...I might be misremembering though?
Flight to Cloud Castle is the one with SS Twilight.  Don't mention it around LadyMoondancer, it is as much an anger point for her The Glass Princess is for me.

Offline Sparkle Pony

• F.O.E. Pony
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • I'm not scrawny, I'm svelte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 06:58:18 PM »
Ah, I love the episode Crunch the Rockdog!  That is definitely an episode with a moral that is rarely seen but very important I think.  Wind Whistler is such a great character~

I think the G1 stuff is tons of fun, gotta love what they could get away with back then.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
Return of tambelon and sonnambula (sp?) were two of my favorites!!

I love ribbon!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

PoseyPetals

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 04:21:48 AM »
I watched Crunch the Rockdog and Mish Mash Melee today - I enjoyed them a lot!

Niwalime

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 04:27:38 AM »
Yayy! This makes me want to re-watch some of the good old stuff! I wonder how it will feel watching them in english, hihi :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal