collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To open or not to open...  (Read 936 times)

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
Re: To open or not to open...
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
I struggle with this all the time. I love loose ponies, I love to play with them and arrange them. My personal collection is almost entirely G4 minis, which are super tempting to open because they are tiny and don't take up a lot of display space. And because I want to hold them!

But at the same time, MIB is appealing. Shiny and new, and "complete" by a special definition of the word.

I started late, so I'm playing catch-up collecting the earlier waves. For those ponies, if they're MIB they stay that way unless/until I get a double. I'm actually really happy when I find one that's already opened when I buy it, because then I can skip the guilt and go straight to enjoying my loose pony! :newpony:

When it comes to the new waves I can buy in stores, I've been gradually trying to buy two of each pony or set so that I can open one and keep one sealed. It's easy enough to do with blind bag ponies because they're tiny enough and affordable enough to get away with it, lol! (My bank account is suspicious of my pony-buying activities, but so far it hasn't caught on. The trick is to shop somewhere like Target, and then slip a pony in with other, more mundane things like milk and socks. :devious: )
  LOL or Walmart :)  paper towels, pony, pony,butter,coffee,pony,cake mix,detergent ......LOL
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

thekozmicpig

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »
I'm an opener. I'm not collecting ponies as a nest egg, and even so, I couldn't sell them because of gaps in my collection, and I'd always wonder if they will keep climbing.

With that said, vintage MIB G1s would remain boxed, which is why I don't go for them because I like my toys to be free. I blame Toy Story 2. My wallet thanks me too, because they can be pricey.

In a perfect world, more items would be sold like Tomica diecast in Japan where you can open them, enjoy them, and make them go back to MIB easily.

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • So Soft Pony
  • Always dresses in style
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 02:36:54 PM »
In a perfect world, more items would be sold like Tomica diecast in Japan where you can open them, enjoy them, and make them go back to MIB easily.
And don't forget they have thir own Tomica Stores, too.  I would love to go to one someday.  The problem wouldn't be getting me there, the problem would be getting me out... ;)

And of course Tomica got the box idea from the original Matchbox cars...not that they sell those in the boxes any more.
Rainbow Dash always dresses in style.

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 09:38:19 AM »
I'm an opener. I'm not collecting ponies as a nest egg, and even so, I couldn't sell them because of gaps in my collection, and I'd always wonder if they will keep climbing.

With that said, vintage MIB G1s would remain boxed, which is why I don't go for them because I like my toys to be free. I blame Toy Story 2. My wallet thanks me too, because they can be pricey.

Lol :D I'm the same I blame Toy Story 2 as well hehe  :lol:
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

WrittenEmber

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
(My bank account is suspicious of my pony-buying activities, but so far it hasn't caught on. The trick is to shop somewhere like Target, and then slip a pony in with other, more mundane things like milk and socks. :devious: )
  LOL or Walmart :)  paper towels, pony, pony,butter,coffee,pony,cake mix,detergent ......LOL
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Yep, exactly! Keep it up long enough, and you lose track of what percentage of your shopping trip was ponies. "Oh, you got a some new ponies! How much were they?" "...I dunno." :P

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 01:04:12 AM »
I'm horrible--I always open ponies without much care for what happens to the boxes ;u;'' Lately I've been making a point to at least take photos of the boxes so I remember what they looked like. But I really do like having my ponies out and about so I can touch them and play with them and such. This is why I try not to be tempted by G1-3 MIB ponies--I'd just open them and make everyone else freak out!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

WrittenEmber

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 02:58:48 AM »
I'm horrible--I always open ponies without much care for what happens to the boxes ;u;'' Lately I've been making a point to at least take photos of the boxes so I remember what they looked like. But I really do like having my ponies out and about so I can touch them and play with them and such. This is why I try not to be tempted by G1-3 MIB ponies--I'd just open them and make everyone else freak out!

Much as I love my ponies to be free, I'd never be able to open a G1, or probably even a G2 or G3. I wouldn't freak if someone else did, though, as I do understand the temptation.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal