collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning So Soft ponies and broken ears?  (Read 405 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Cleaning So Soft ponies and broken ears?
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

In a small lot I received the other day, there were a couple of baits. Most are fixable, just needs new tails and a bath, but some of them have broken ears! They seem almost as if they were bitten off? I dont see how you could break these things.

Is there any possible way to fix them? Like making new ears out of clay or anything? I feel so bad for the poor girls.

In that lot I also received my first so-softs. Lofty here would have been NM but then I turn her around and I see... this. I don't even know what this is? Marker, dirt, coffee stains?
Since she and Magic Star are my first and have barely any flocking damage, I'm really afraid of causing anything crazy! I don't know how to clean them without damaging the flocking..

Any help is very much appreciated!  :)
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: Cleaning So Soft ponies and broken ears?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
I'm interested, too! I'm bidding on a poor Tropical Sea Breeze with broken ears and I want to know how to fix her. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Looks like chewed ears, MLP ears are near impossible to actually break off a G1 (you'd need tools and a VERY strong arm), and when they do it's always at the base, not half way through.  Ears can be fixed with something like Apoxie Sculpt - it's a two part epoxy clay that you mix together and it sets up without baking.  Modelling / Hobby stores may carry something similar.  After resculpting it'd need painting, which might be challenging with a so-soft - I'd practice on Lemondrop first. 

For Lofty, have you tried soap and water?  Just gently work it in with your fingers.  If that doesn't budge it, then you can try working up to harsher things, but if it's something food based, just plain old Dawn/dishsoap and water may do the trick.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:58 AM »
Yep, just try regular hand soap on Lofty and some gentle rubbing. If that doesn't work, you can try gently scrubbing her with a toothbrush and soap as well. Just use cold water since hot water can loosen the glue that holds the flocking on and cause more flocking loss. ;)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:09:28 PM »
I would go with everything Baby Sugarberry has said. If you post over in Customs you will get the best advice on the ear remoulding :)

You should always be cautious with so softs - what causes the fur to come off is how broken down the glue is. First double check by washing a section under her hoof in order to ensure that its not easily removed. Then do the tepid water massaged into the coat in circles. That is the only way you should be guaranteed no fur removed; however if the stain does not come off you will have to decide either to leave her with it or risk something more astringent when cleaning her.

Good luck :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal