collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toola Roola and Rarity  (Read 514 times)

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Toola Roola and Rarity
« on: December 26, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
I was browsing Strawberry Reef and I decided to look at the G3s. I used to collect G3s when I was little but my pony knowledge is very limited to FIM so I had not heard of the Core 7 ponies. I went ahead and looked at them and found that I was able to name all of them (without cheating and looking at the names) with the exception of the purple pegasus. I then looked at the names and went through the list to see which one I was missing but I discovered that there were two pony names I had never heard of before. So I renamed the ponies while going through the list of names and found that the pony I had thought to be Rarity was actually Toola Roola. I was really confused so I went back to look at Rarity and saw that she looked almost exactly like Toola Roola except for Toola Roola is an earth pony and her cutie mark is different. I then looked up Toola Roola only to find out that she has two different color schemes -- one of which looks identical to Rarity.

I was just wondering if there was a reason for this. Did Hasbro maybe mean to make Rarity part of the Core 7 ponies and they accidentally made her an earth pony so she was eventually given Toola Roola's cutie mark? Or is Rarity maybe a copy of Toola Roola's 2nd color scheme but as a unicorn? If anyone can help shed some light on this it would be very appreciated!
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
Re: Toola Roola and Rarity
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
In my opinion Toola #1 and #2 are two differnt ponies, just like in G1 there's a Twilght who is a unicorn and another Twilight who is a so soft Pegasus  ^.^ and the colors and symbols aren't the same.

You see  :), the first Toola who came out was the puple one wit the swirl l symbols http://www.strawberryreef.com/images/Ponies/T/ToolaRoola_130_L_spoosh.jpg , a few years later for core 7 they made the pink one wit the paintbrush symbol http://www.strawberryreef.com/images/Ponies/T/ToolaRoola2name_130_L_hasbro.jpg

Rarity was made before the core 7 era, so she got scrapped wit the rest of the ponies, the only ponies who were made for core 7 were:

A choice of a few previous ponies and leaft intact while  others were made mixing two ponies.

Toola Roola #2 , same name as the #1 pony but different symbol, and like you said Rarity's colors

Cheerilee, who is a variation of Cherry Blossom and has the name of a styling unicorn

Starsong who is a mix of the two  pegasus wit Royal Rose's colors and wit  Silver Glow's symbol

Sweetie Belle, who has a nearly identical symbol to unicorn Rarity and the color is very similar to the earth pony Lovely Dovey.

Scootaloo , Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie were the only ones who didn't have a change.

That's why back in the first days of the core 7 and the G3.5 members were having a dabate if the gen (G3.5) should still be called G3 or if they should have another name.

*edited to change some typos*
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 11:54:56 AM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »
Yeah, um, that. Honestly I just figure that it's crazy Hasbro being crazy Hasbro. As far as I know, there's no real reason for it. as Sapphire-Light mentioned, there were reused names in G1 (a decent amount of them, too). So I guess it's a similar thing. A lack of creativity, if you ask me. Fortunately it didn't happen much in later generations.

There are even some ponies who look the same but have different names! Like in G1, there was a set of 6 mail order babies that were basically copies of 6 early babies but they had a pearly coating and some had different colors (but the same symbols and names). Surprise, Blossom, Glory, Cotton Candy, Firefly, and Moondancer. Except the pearly version of Moondancer was named Moondreamer. Explain that! Then in G2, Moon Shadow was later released in a different pose with the name (Lady) Moonshine. Like, really?

Anyway my point is, Hasbro is crazy, and sometimes it's just best not to question the things they do. Your head will hurt.  :silly:
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
As said above, Hasbro decided in their infinite wisdom to restructure the MLP brand and focus the line on 7 ponies. I would guess that when they did this they did not have 7 obvious candidates, with the colour palettes, symbols, etc which would work together in the way they wanted as a group.  So rather than recreate ponies completely afresh - they took some ponies identical from the G3 line and then mixed & matched elements of other ponies in order to create the other 4.

Was it intentional? Of course - I can only imagine the amount of money and research which went in to refining a set of core characters like this. However, in an attempt to keep some level of consistency across the line and into the new MLP, they took elements of the existing toy line to create their new core line up. Similar to how they continued this into G4 - Pinkie and Dash are in G4 because of their existence in G3, because they were characters HB knew worked and had invested time and research to establish.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal