collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toy Hunter Show  (Read 3965 times)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Toy Hunter Show
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
Just watched the Care Bear episode on toy hunters.  I don't mind at all that he offered to buy them from her, no problem, she haggled a little, which is good for her.  But the part that upset me the most is how he bragged at the end about how much profit he will make.   Make's me feel so bad for that lady.
 :cloud:

Maybe I'm too sensitive.. Do you think she knew he was going to sell for a profit? and present it on the show?

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Hunter Show
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
Well, she knew what he was when she agreed to be on the show. She could've researched him. And his bragging might've been done for the camera to enhance the drama.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
I dislike this show because it, like insanely high listings on eBay, convinces people that their old broken played with toys are worth as much as a MIB toy kept by a collector, and it makes it harder for us to find things at a good price! That being said, I love looking into people's collections.  I wish he'd let them talk about the stuff they have instead of explaining stuff to them like a two year old though.

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
yeah! I was looking forward to hearing more about her collection.
:|

maybe the web episodes are shorter? than the real ones that aire?

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
I would believe she knew about what he was up to, considering her appearing on the show.  Hopefully she knew about him (and the show) beforehand.
I've seen Toy Hunter a few times before, and I think it's an interesting show (as far as seeing what kinds of toys/collectibles people have). But he does tend to brag after every toy deal he goes through. It likely is for TV sakes, like StoryDreamer mentioned.
I don't care much for how he "talks down" to some people as well.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 03:42:11 PM »
All of these shows are crafted for entertainment and I would think if she had even done a little research she would have been aware of who he was and that he was going to try and get the items cheaper in order to sell on. Personally I dont like to see anyone done out of value but who knows what goes on behind the scenes and maybe a sale in bulk was worth it to her in order to save the hassle of selling on individually?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
I was really interested in this show!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:47:31 PM »
I bet there is a lot of background negotiating that goes on to ensure that there will be a good show-  the show makes no representations that it is all off the cuff- entirely non-scripted...

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
someone here said they know Jordan, the main guy.  be interested in learning a bit more, but yeah it might all be scripted and pre-arranged.

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
I've only seen snippets of this show...
I dread the day when they do something with ponies and he says they're worth way more than they are, and makes people think they could sell their ponies for more than they're worth. >_<

Offline Eternia

• MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57:21 PM »
I actually saw an episode where he was at a second hand store with toys, and they had a rare lord of the rings action figure. He told the owner all about how rare the item was and such. It was in a random 'junk' box of mostly mcdonald toys. He asked her how much she would charge for it, she said $2. He said something like "because I want to be able to sleep tonight, I'll give you $40 for it"
Which I thought was really nice, he didn't take advantage of her and gave her a fair price.
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline red_velvet_rose

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • *DEEP BREATH* yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 05:04:23 PM »
Just watched the Care Bear episode on toy hunters.  I don't mind at all that he offered to buy them from her, no problem, she haggled a little, which is good for her.  But the part that upset me the most is how he bragged at the end about how much profit he will make.   Make's me feel so bad for that lady.

Maybe I'm too sensitive.. Do you think she knew he was going to sell for a profit? and present it on the show?

Generally speaking, selling to him is a cop-out anyway. If you want full-price for your collectibles, then you don't sell to a broker, you sell direct. These people know they are selling to a broker, they are sacrificing price for speed and convenience. Him bragging at the end is for the audience's sake since most would not have the slightest idea what he hopes to get for the toys. The same could be said for the "talking down" he does. He's not talking to the collectors about they are collection, he's talking to the audience. :)

Rose
Discord: HaveAHiddles #2993
PayPal: [email protected]

Offline SweetTune

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Fair
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »

Generally speaking, selling to him is a cop-out anyway. If you want full-price for your collectibles, then you don't sell to a broker, you sell direct. These people know they are selling to a broker, they are sacrificing price for speed and convenience. Him bragging at the end is for the audience's sake since most would not have the slightest idea what he hopes to get for the toys. The same could be said for the "talking down" he does. He's not talking to the collectors about they are collection, he's talking to the audience. :)

Rose

I agree with Rose, these people know what they are getting into with a broker. Plus, they might be sacrificing a few dollars, but they (and their collection) are being showcased on a television show that is being seen all over the world. So if they want the exposure/attention it is a small price to pay in the long run.

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »
My boyfriend and his other DC collector friend flipped out when the guy said "Dark Seed" instead of "Darkseid" in one episode like 4 times.  That's one of those times where I wish he'd let the collector get a word in edgewise.  Even if it's to explain to the audience, which I totally get, I think dialogue between the two would come across better for me personally.  I like hearing collectors talk about their own items.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »
I like these kinds of shows. I'm sure the people know what they are getting in to and a lot of time the person buying will say, "come on you've got to work with me. I've gotta make a profit." So I think it's clear :) I like episodes where they give them more money than they ask for (like Eternia said) There was an episode of Pawn Stars where a lady came in with a brooch and wanted to sell it for cheap because she didn't realize it was real gold with real gemstones. The pawn guy told her how much it was really worth and gave her a lot more money than she asked for. So it's nice to see things like that :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal