collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Clear & shiny areas on ponies. How are they caused?  (Read 882 times)

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Clear & shiny areas on ponies. How are they caused?
« on: August 02, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
I have some ponies that have an area that is clear and shiny. I'm not talking about a neckline or glue or anything. It can be anywhere on the body.

Ugh, it's hard to explain but usually you can't see it unless you tilt it towards the light. it's something that has always bothered me about a pony. I don't like it and don't know what causes it.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'm looking for a way to make sure the ponies don't get them. I'm not sure if they are scratches or not. Anyone? :what:

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Clear & shiny areas on ponies. How are they caused?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:39 PM »
Yes, some of my ponies have that, too! I think it just might be that the plastic is incredibly smooth and not so porous as the rest of the plastic? Not, sure, but I find it annoying as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:59:27 PM »
I do have ponies that I've purchases that were in excellent condition and had it.

However, there was a while when I thought I was created the areas by using a sponge to scrub them. I kept using softer and softer scrub pads but it seems like the shiny areas are always there. I simply don't know what to do. Can I only use a soft sponge to wash ponies?

Offline butterflybuttons

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Feeling the G2 love
    • View Profile
    • My outdated DA
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 03:24:47 AM »
Yes, I've got lots like that.

A little rub with acetone can dull it down a bit, but it still does have a different texture.

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:41:08 AM »
I do have ponies that I've purchases that were in excellent condition and had it.

However, there was a while when I thought I was created the areas by using a sponge to scrub them. I kept using softer and softer scrub pads but it seems like the shiny areas are always there. I simply don't know what to do. Can I only use a soft sponge to wash ponies?

I don't think that's the case - I use a nailbrush on some of my grubbier ponies and they never go weird and shiny. I think it's more like an impurity in the plastic kind of thing. A bit like regrind maybe? That's just a hunch though.

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:47:00 AM »
if we're talking about the same thing, I think it is caused by uneven thickness of plastic. when plastic is infused into the mold, even though the goal is to try for all the body to be as even in thickness as possible, sometimes it comes out uneven (for instance, for a reason it is less fluid and it dries before another layer could flow into that space), so at some parts the plastic will be a little less thick - this thinness might also mean more transparency, as if something is thinner it is also more transparent. if this is the case, the plastic should also be a little more soft there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:48:37 AM by Loona »

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 04:12:24 AM »
I think my Pinkie Pie has a spot like that on her chest; at first I thought it was glue but it's the plastic.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
I've noticed I've never seen an auction describe a pony as having this flaw. Any idea how to describe it to someone you are selling to online?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »
Its just a plastic impurity and as Loona says most likely a result during the injection moulding and spinning process when plastic cools/settles at different thickness in the moulds.

I have it on dozens of ponies and personally its not something I have ever considered an actual flaw - its kind of standard on a lot of cheap plastic items to have an imperfect finish occasionally.

As for describing it when selling I guess you would just say "smooth imperfect section of plastic" and then describe where it is on the pony as with everything an accompanying photo is a good idea
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Gogobinsin

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
Are these the shiny areas that look like scratches all over ponies? If so, quite a lot of my G1s have this but it's not visible in every light. I always assumed it was just scratches :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal