collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Transformers get 3 lady bots, still no new boy ponies hasbro?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Transformers get 3 lady bots, still no new boy ponies hasbro?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »
I remember when I was little in the G3 era I desperately, desperately wanted boy ponies!  And I literally just bought the castle to get Shining Armor when it came out, haha.  I think that boy ponies would sell well enough to be worthwhile because I think kids like some variety in their toys.  And I think Big Mac would be successful just because he is in the show and kids would like him so they could act out story lines from the episodes or something.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
I remember when I was little in the G3 era I desperately, desperately wanted boy ponies!  And I literally just bought the castle to get Shining Armor when it came out, haha.  I think that boy ponies would sell well enough to be worthwhile because I think kids like some variety in their toys.  And I think Big Mac would be successful just because he is in the show and kids would like him so they could act out story lines from the episodes or something.
I grew up with G3 but I was desperately hoping that they would never release boys! I hated boys. Not much has changed, really. Big Brother ponies will always be close to my heart, tho.

patchworkboy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »
Wow thanks for all of your thoughtful responses! I hope my original post didn't come across as whiny, I really am glad to see more female transformers. Honestly I just really want a brushable Big Mac lol. Maybe they could do a Pegasus male as well like Thunderlane and then they would have 3 male pony molds to use for multipacks and exclusives.

I think what frustrates me the most is the attitude that has been present at the pony fair from hasbro, which is bascially: "We came to your fair to acknowledge that as a group, you exists, but we aren't actually going to listen to anything you have to say". The fact that they are producing 3 female transformer figures feels like it has to be due directly to collectors. I'm sure that the 2 product lines are handled by different people but why does hasbro aknowledge transformers collectors as a group and not my little pony collectors. I consider the brony group to be a seperate thing and it's very recent. I've been collecting my little ponies since G1, the fact that most of us have crossed over is just more money for hasbro. We could have rejected G4, but instead we are asking them to expand the line in a way that appeals to us as well.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
Wow thanks for all of your thoughtful responses! I hope my original post didn't come across as whiny, I really am glad to see more female transformers. Honestly I just really want a brushable Big Mac lol. Maybe they could do a Pegasus male as well like Thunderlane and then they would have 3 male pony molds to use for multipacks and exclusives.

I think what frustrates me the most is the attitude that has been present at the pony fair from hasbro, which is bascially: "We came to your fair to acknowledge that as a group, you exists, but we aren't actually going to listen to anything you have to say". The fact that they are producing 3 female transformer figures feels like it has to be due directly to collectors. I'm sure that the 2 product lines are handled by different people but why does hasbro aknowledge transformers collectors as a group and not my little pony collectors. I consider the brony group to be a seperate thing and it's very recent. I've been collecting my little ponies since G1, the fact that most of us have crossed over is just more money for hasbro. We could have rejected G4, but instead we are asking them to expand the line in a way that appeals to us as well.

I think one of the reasons why the TF community gets more collector's items than the pony collectors is just the size of the fandom and the unity of the TF fandom.  Us pony collectors are really quite splintered.  A lot of us don't even collect g4, or at least not much.  A lot of us are wholly G1, or G2, or even just G3.  I can say I was and am very much in the minority of the TF community in that I don't really collect the figures except those I really enjoy, or characters who I enjoy.  Most TF collectors buy the new releases, and are actively buying at most points.  There isn't really collectors who JUST collect the old toys.  So, there is a larger market for figures for the collectors, and has been for some time, though trust me, my roommate who is a big TF collector has A LOT of gripes about the current toys.  There's been only around 5-7 releases a year that she's really liked, heck, the release for the three femmes is actually a pretty major release and has been about the biggest news for SOME months, especially with the awful Bayformers lines.

There have been A LOT of other toys, too, but we both agree, they haven't been collector quality, or what collectors really want.  I don't even think there has ( nor does she think ) there has even been another Master piece release since MP Prowl, and it's been over a year since he was released.  ( I bought him for her for Xmas ) Collectors in the TF fandom want super detailed and poseable toys.  ( Transforming isn't necessarily a requisite, see the Revoltech figures.  I know I for sure wringed and whined that there were so few characters released, and none of my favorites )  There hasn't been too much for that, but for one really nice set that has been on the shelves for about a year, and included Springer, Soundwave, Blaster and a few lesser characters. 

Compare that with the releases with the brushables, which from what I can tell, is what the collectors want, and I think the MLP lines are still getting a bit more releases for what the collectors want.  There's the G4zillas, which have been quite popular, a couple new FS, and still a few new brushables in the last year. 

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:37 AM »
I got a couple questions about the female TFs. I tried to do a google search and came up with nothing. My best friend's husband collects TF. I would love to get him a female TF for his birthday or Christmas. When are they due out? Are they going to be an incredibly hard to get exclusive or more of a general release? Any idea on the retail price yet?

Thanks!
sailorstitch

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 08:07:37 AM »
I got a couple questions about the female TFs. I tried to do a google search and came up with nothing. My best friend's husband collects TF. I would love to get him a female TF for his birthday or Christmas. When are they due out? Are they going to be an incredibly hard to get exclusive or more of a general release? Any idea on the retail price yet?

Thanks!
sailorstitch

Here's the pre-order page for Windblade.  I'm not sure if the other two are in the same assortment?

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS23850&mode=retail

Looks like she's out in August.  I don't know how easy / hard she will be to find but I think she's available in all store, not an exclusive.  The other two are Chromia and Nautica, I think.  You could also try to find him a "Transformers Prime" Arcee, who is a blue motorcycle.

Probably won't be in stores anymore, but you could try eBay?  I don't know how expensive she is, though.  (LOL, tiny Arcee!)

HathorCat, the exclusion (until recently) on female TFs really did not have anything to do with "kid demographics".  The "kids cartoon" Transformers DID have female TF toys--at least three I can think of (Arcee, Airachnid, and Ripclaw).

The toyline / comics being discussed in this thread are aimed at an older demographic, 40% of which is female.  (For reading the comics at least, I'm not sure about the toy-buying aspect.) 

The lack of female TFs stemmed from IDW's continuity.  Namely the fact that this one writer had started this with his writing of "Oh, TFs are genderless--except Arcee who is female because an evil scientist MADE her female, and also crazy.  Like the wimminz are crazy!"

Sooo, having had that written into their canon, it took them a while to find a way around it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:13:14 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 11:18:05 AM »

HathorCat, the exclusion (until recently) on female TFs really did not have anything to do with "kid demographics".  The "kids cartoon" Transformers DID have female TF toys--at least three I can think of (Arcee, Airachnid, and Ripclaw).

The toyline / comics being discussed in this thread are aimed at an older demographic, 40% of which is female.  (For reading the comics at least, I'm not sure about the toy-buying aspect.) 

The lack of female TFs stemmed from IDW's continuity.  Namely the fact that this one writer had started this with his writing of "Oh, TFs are genderless--except Arcee who is female because an evil scientist MADE her female, and also crazy.  Like the wimminz are crazy!"

Sooo, having had that written into their canon, it took them a while to find a way around it.

Hahaha, you and I sound like WE need to talk.  Still, Kookoo for cocoapuffs Arcee was quite amusing, though at the expense of no female characters. . .?  I don't believe the DW comics even had any femmes in it.  I did not watch TFP, but I do give it props for making the ladybots that it had more central characters, especially Arcee, which all previous iterations of the show had utterly failed at.  Especially when the premise of the femmes were good, like even in G1, they threw Alita-1 at us, with Moonracer and Chromia for one episode, and Beastwars had Airrazor who was an exceptionally good female character that wasn't at all stereotypically girly and once again, squandered.  :sigh:

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 11:32:29 AM »
Ehhh, I could personally care less about new boy ponies as long as Hasbro keeps making troll hair for them. Because brushable hair is ~girly~ and can't be used on a boy, don'tcha know?

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »

Thanks!
sailorstitch

Here's the pre-order page for Windblade.  I'm not sure if the other two are in the same assortment?

Looks like she's out in August.  I don't know how easy / hard she will be to find but I think she's available in all store, not an exclusive.  The other two are Chromia and Nautica, I think.  You could also try to find him a "Transformers Prime" Arcee, who is a blue motorcycle.

Thanks for the info! His birthday is near the end of Aug. Unless I preorder one, that might be cutting it a little too close. I should be able to find one by Christmas though.

sailorstitch

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

Ehhh, I could personally care less about new boy ponies as long as Hasbro keeps making troll hair for them. Because brushable hair is ~girly~ and can't be used on a boy, don'tcha know?

Meanwhile Neighthan.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »

Let me tell ya, I am soooooooooooo done with Hasbro. After they released that Mane-iac Mayham I wanted nothing to do with them.
 :enraged:

They seem to only care about what bronies want nowadays so I'm not giving any money to them, just you lovely people on the arena and the folks on eBay!  :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 03:48:59 PM »

Thanks!
sailorstitch

Probably won't be in stores anymore, but you could try eBay?  I don't know how expensive she is, though.  (LOL, tiny Arcee!)

I didn't mean just one specific line :) I was talking in general; TF is a toy line aimed at kids at the end of the day. Sure its got a large adult collector market but at its heart and at its most profitable its a toy with a "kids demographic". Thats what I was commenting on. After all we cant directly compare MLP with a line aimed at adult collectors because, outside merchandise, MLP has no real intent to target adults.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal