collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 206425 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1320 on: October 05, 2022, 12:29:26 PM »
I just went on Youtube and grabbed a couple of screenshots of SM's eyes during her transformation. :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 05, 2022, 12:53:14 PM »
Yup, those are the shots I was thinking of ^^

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 14, 2022, 04:27:12 PM »
I finally finished Haikyuu season 1.  I really enjoyed it and will be starting season 2 soon.  I'm looking forward to hearing more of the Daiya vas in season 2, :)

The last episode of season 1 though was a

Spoiler
a little sad and reminded me a lot of the aftermath in Daiya after the first Seidou vs Inashiro game. 

I'm waiting for a few episodes of the new season of Spy Family to become available on Crunchyroll before I start watching them.

Ponyfan

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 15, 2022, 04:43:30 PM »
Here for the first time because Netflix UK has Studio Ghibli films on it!!! Seen a few already!!!
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 16, 2022, 05:56:13 AM »
Here for the first time because Netflix UK has Studio Ghibli films on it!!! Seen a few already!!!

Do you have any favorites yet?  Ghibli films are hit or miss for me, but there are a few that I really like. :)

Ponyfan

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 17, 2022, 01:29:51 AM »
There are some really cute ones with great stories in them I saw one about this forest & the Iron city or something. It was good. There was another about a bamboo girl whose father seemed obsessed with getting her married to the richest man he could find... but she had other ideas, good for her!!! My Neighbour Totoro is also really adorable, & I love how Totoro & his friends comfort the children. Bakana says Totoro is her ideal xxx I may watch Spirited Away next. I hear good things about it...
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 17, 2022, 10:57:31 AM »
There are some really cute ones with great stories in them I saw one about this forest & the Iron city or something. It was good. There was another about a bamboo girl whose father seemed obsessed with getting her married to the richest man he could find... but she had other ideas, good for her!!! My Neighbour Totoro is also really adorable, & I love how Totoro & his friends comfort the children. Bakana says Totoro is her ideal xxx I may watch Spirited Away next. I hear good things about it...

I think the one you're describing with the forest is Nausicaa, but I might be wrong.  Castle in the sky also has kind of a forest and an iron city with a bunch of robots.  If it has the big pill bug things it's Nausicaa.  If it's got flying machines, pirates, and robots, it's Castle in the Sky.  Although, maybe they have different titles depending on where you live in the world.

My nephew used to refer to Totoro as "the monster bunnies" because I first introduced him to it when he was 2 when my sister needed a break from Finding Nemo (which was the only movie he watched for a solid 6 months).

Spirited Away is really cute.  But I think my favorite Ghibli film so far is Whisper of the Heart.  Though there are several that tie for second place.  Howl's Moving Castle and From Up On Poppy Hill are really good, too.  I don't know if I could ever rank them from my favorite to least favorite, though, because so many would be in tying positions.

Just watch all of them.  :lol:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1327 on: October 17, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »
Mononoke-hime also has a contrast with the wild girl of the forest vs the city. I have no idea how that's been translated though in terms of names...

I don't really like Ghibli. I don't know how to explain why except that it's somehow stylised in a way I don't click with. I do like Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away in English) and Mononoke-hime though.

I have no idea how Spirited Away makes sense in English mind you, given how much cultural stuff is in it.

I also met one of the directors from Totoro, at an event in London. It was a panel with him and a voice artist and I went to see the voice artist but it was interesting hearing him talk about how Totoro was put together. I've still never seen it - I've seen several but for some reason never that one.

I prefer Kimi no Na Wa I think.

@Ponyfan - yeah, but
Spoiler
The 3rd years don't have to retire, so it's really not as impactful.

I'm doing the same with Spy Family. I am working though Devil is a Part Timer though. Decided to rewatch s1 first to get my bearings since it's been a while.

And Tiger and Bunny season 2 part 2 came out just before I went away. I did already sneak peak at the ending and
Spoiler
It's both what I expected and not entirely what I wanted, although it's fine I suppose.

The main appeal of T&B is
Spoiler
The friendship/pseudo-family relationship between Barnaby and Kotetsu anyway.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 17, 2022, 03:04:11 PM »
Spirited Away and the cat returns are my fav - but I'm into Japanese mythology stuff.
The others, i don't really care much for.
In 2016, I went to the Ghibli Museaum in Mitaka, Japan. It was pretty neat but too crowded.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 03:14:30 PM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 17, 2022, 03:30:36 PM »
I've only seen a few of the Ghibli films. Out of those my favorites are Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo and My Neighbor Totoro. :) I didn't like Howl's Moving Castle or From Up on Poppy Hill (I liked the singing in that one).  I enjoyed The Secret World of Arietty, The Wind Rises and Nausicaa, but I'm not sure that they fall in to the favorites category.  The Cat Returns is okay. I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch Grave of the Fireflies.

@Taffeta

Spoiler
I completely agree with you about Karasuno's loss vs Seidou's.  Karasuno losing and the aftermath was a bit sad, but it didn't make me want to cry like I wanted to with Daiya.  Also, we don't see anyone suffering through the same type of trauma like several of the Seidou players did.  Like you said, it's not as final in the same way Daiya is since the third years aren't forced to retire after the loss in Haikyuu.

I've been thinking about watching Your Name again.  It's been a while since I've seen it.

I love that Ghibli Musuem ticket.  :lovey:  Are those film cells on it?

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 07:08:50 PM by Ponyfan »

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 17, 2022, 04:13:26 PM »
Grave of the Fireflies is beautifully done, but it is a REALLY hard watch.  It's historical and history is not pretty. 

Spoiler
You've got the horror of the bomb drop, the terrible way the aunt treats the main character and his sister and the harsh way that they are forced to live alongside the way that the main character is such a good big brother to his little sister and the hope that things will turn out better than they actually do.  You know from the opening scene that things are not going to end well.

The Cat Returns was supposed to be the story written in Whisper of the Heart, which from the hints in that movie make it really hard to put together that they're the same story but book editing and revising are a thing so... :shrug:  It's still a fun story, though.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 18, 2022, 07:54:58 AM »
Yeah I always figured The Cat Returns was just a later revision of Shizuku's story, like maybe she came back to it as an adult and rewrote it - or maybe it's a sequel to her first story ;) I guess they didn't want to just rehash the fantasy scenes from Whisper. I like all the nods they did fit in though, like the main instrumental theme in Returns being the music that plays over Whisper's first fantasy scene.

I don't think I'd ever watch Grave of the Fireflies. It sounds well-made and all, but reading a synopsis was enough for me.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 18, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »

I don't think I'd ever watch Grave of the Fireflies. It sounds well-made and all, but reading a synopsis was enough for me.

Same.

I really like In This Corner of the World except for one scene right at the end that I think is too graphic and wasn't really necessary. I always fast forward through that because seeing it once was enough.  I have to be in the mood for In This Corner of the World though since it's such a serious anime.

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1333 on: October 19, 2022, 01:23:56 AM »
I had to teach the period surrounding Grave of the Fireflies. I don't feel like it's something I want to settle down and watch.

People talk a lot about the two major incidents in Hiroshima and Nagasaki but a lot of Japan was destroyed by firebombing at the end of the war. But a lot of atrocities happened in the war, from all angles, and all sides. It's complicated.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 27, 2022, 06:34:50 AM »
Another hard to watch anime is A Silent Voice.  It's really good, but also intense and doesn't gloss over the hard stuff.  If you were bullied in school that also makes it tough to get through it as one of the main characters is bullied mercilessly for something that isn't her fault.   I've  heard the manga is even more intense and has scenes that weren't included in the movie.  I have the manga, but haven't read it yet.

I still need to start Haikyuu season 2.  Maybe I will do that this weekend.  I haven't felt up to keeping up with subtitles lately.

Amazon has the Fruits Basket prequel about Tohru's parents up for preorder.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal