collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Windows 8, ready to throw my laptop out of the window...  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Windows 8, ready to throw my laptop out of the window...
« on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »
Maybe this should go in WYP, but then it's not really a personal disaster. I know most people have to put up woth it! I had to do a fairly serious amount of work today, report writing, preparation for a conference, image processing etc and it's glitch after problem after 'computer says no'.

Anyone else also hate Windows 8?

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 8, ready to throw my laptop out of the window...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 11:32:38 AM »
I am so sorry for your troubles, but I giggled at "computer says no." 

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
Oh I hate Windows 8.  If I put more effort into it I could probably find ways around all the stuff I hate, but I just really miss the way it was before.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »
Hate is not enough as an expression to how I feel and I usually don't waste energy on hating. With help of boyfriend and google I managed to make it look and act almost like the former windows but I am looking forward to windows 10.. It can't be any worse.

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 11:55:27 AM »
I've only been on Windows 8 for like. . .a month on the head, right about.  Old computer went ka-blewey and I had to feverishly sell as much stuff as I could to buy something with some processor and video card.  I've been actually pretty happy with the OS, but I don't know if it's because it's a newer Windows 8, or if I'm working on a pretty beefy computer, or what, but I haven't had too many issues with it.

I had to turn off Windows Update the 2nd day I had it, as there is some glitch with the system there, and it was hammering my harddrive and tying it completely up.  Turned off Windows Update, bam, it's fine, just have to do all the updates manually.

I have more issues with McAfee, I really hate that Acer bundles with them, because they're about the worst.  I need to rip it all out, but I haven't gotten around to it.  @_@ 

I also have huge issues with the touch pad.  Normally Acer makes really nice touch pads, but this one is so darned hinky, it doesn't really have distinguished left/right click, and something it'll go off track, or won't even want to work. . .  It seems to be a problem with the whole line, as that's been a lot of the issues I read about it. ( I got a Nitro.  Really, I like everything about it except for that touch pad!  The screen is amazing on it.  1080p HD, with a screen you can look at at any angle, really, really nice.  I've yet to do a lot of photoshop or editting work on it, but I've been playing a few MMOs on it, and they look gorgeous, even the older ones, and the thing doesn't even break a sweat. ) 

I'm sure I'll be cussing out before too long, the OS, that is. . .  I still miss Windows XP to be perfectly honest.  I never had any issues with that OS, though my Windows 7 didn't give me too much trouble, but I did have to wipe that thing every two years or so, or it would crash, but there was no reviving it last time. 

Nothing, however, is as bad as Windows 98.  Oh gods, the amount of blue screens of death I endured for eight years.  The computer itself was wonderful, and absolutely hardcore and survived everything ( I did have to put it out of its misery myself, hahahaha, because it would.not.die ) but the OS?  Oh shoot me. 

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »
Thank you for sharing my paiiinnn!!!  :lol:

xXx
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline pony_magick

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
I have to help my mum with hers and I hate it so much!!! Much like you I just want to throw it out the window/doors so I don't have to help/do things with it. Do you have the problem with the wifi not working? I have to troubleshoot to get it going about every 3-4 hrs!!
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
windows 8 is sucky, Microsoft knew it was sucky and offered to let people have an older version for a while. I feel your pain. if it aint broke Microsoft don't make it worse. mmkay?
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 12:36:39 PM »
I work as an ICT Technician in a school an i loathe windows 8. It's a complete and utter nightmare to manage :P Tasks that take two minutes on earlier versions of windows take an hours worth of frustration followed by googling the problem and seeing what other people have done to get round the issue. It's such a bad OS lol.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »
Last year I switched back to a PC after using a Macbook for several years.  I avoided Windows 8 like the plague and managed to snag a decent laptop with Windows 7, thank GOD.

I work in IT and as a computer tutor at the local community college.  A student came in with his laptop and asked for some help with something, and when I looked at the screen I was like "Windows 8?  Really?" and he just nodded his head and sighed before saying "Sorry, I hate it too."
Instagram / Want List

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pony_magick

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
I've told my mum that she should go back to 7 as at least she and I know how to use it and solve basic problems. Even something I've done 10 times before is a struggle when using 8.
I am a Dreamer/So a Believer

My want list.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »
My Surface keeps prompting me to upgrade to Windows 8 and I keep laughing and clicking "no." 

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 02:10:25 PM »
I loathe it with a passion.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
Do you have the problem with the wifi not working? I have to troubleshoot to get it going about every 3-4 hrs!!

I always thought it was my computer (which I purchased not even a year ago) being weird, or the router being too old for the newer versions of data, but yes. Wifi dissapears every once in a while, but works on our phones. I turned my computer in for repairs and had to download a new driver and reinstall it a couple of times a month.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 03:20:57 PM »
Ugh, Windows 8 is the worst! My dad got a laptop with that nightmare on it about a month ago; I was harbouring the impression that it'd be easy to set up, as it's a more up-to-date model of the one I have but nope, it was a complete farce! Getting back to using my big blue beast and Windows 7 felt like a warm hug after that!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal