collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why do ponies, and collecting them, make you happy?  (Read 1947 times)

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
Why do ponies, and collecting them, make you happy?
« on: April 02, 2013, 07:32:07 PM »
Kind of corny, but I'm curious to know what it is for others. :blush:

For me I think it's multifactorial. I was (re)introduced to them by a very special friend I admire a lot, and enjoyed the shared interest. Also, I'm a very high anxiety person and there's just something about them, both the toys and the show that I find relaxing and pleasant. Pokemon has a similar effect and was the first thing I really found a connection with this way, and I think now I may have found a similar comfort in ponies, too. They both appeal to my love of fantasy/animals and, not to be dramatic but, in their own way, they do seem to make life a little more bearable.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 07:36:17 PM by Binny »

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Re: Why do ponies, and collecting them, make you happy?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »
It's like finally making childhood dreams come true for me.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »
They remind me of when I was a kid and growing up. Ponies were so cute and I loved there colors that they came in. They always looked happy and ready to play. I now they just give me some happiness in life. They do not talk back or make me cry. And I love that pony smell also :)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
Going to the toy store was always a pleasurable agony. 

It was often to pick out a pony for a special occasion / reward / spending birthday money, but at the same time I was never able to bring home all the ponies I admired.  Serious deliberation worthy of olympic judging was often the order of the day, bless my patient parents and relatives who let me take all the time I wanted to select just the right one.  Now, many years later I have (almost) all the ponies I could have ever gotten, I suppose it satisfies my inner child who had to leave so many others behind. 

There's also the enjoyment of rescuing an abandoned toy clearly in need of some TLC, and restoring it to former beauty.  I often wonder about all the places and things the ponies in my collection have seen or done with their former owners, oh if only toys could talk, what tales they'd tell.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
Well they do remind me of being a kid, as I've had ponies as long as I can remember. But I don't think that's the only reason. I enjoy them NOW, too. Just in a different way. They're adorable and pretty and fun, and a great thing to collect. I dunno, what's not to like about ponies? lol
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 10:32:33 PM »
For me, a big part of collecting is other collectors. I love you guys! The sense of community is awesome. It feels like family here and we all look out for one another. Friendship really is magic :)

For the toys themselves, there is some kind of sheer perfection in the faces of some of the G1s.

I have NEVER seen anything cuter...be it on real animals, illustrations, cartoons... nothing has ever been cuter to me than the face of a g1 pony. Well, it's not so much "cute" like the way a G4 would be... but on the G1s, especially the babies, there's such genuine sweet happiness on their faces and it never ceases to make me cheerful when I look at them.

The hobby itself is fun because I love finding a good deal. I love fixing up a shabby neglected pony and making her shine beautiful again. I love finding an elusive grail after years of searching and finally having her (lately, him!) in my collection. I love that each pony in my herd has her own story...For example, my baby Palm tree was found INSIDE A SANDCASTLE by my brother who then mailed her to me. :)

Ponies inspire me. As an artist I feel like they influence me more than just about anything else. MLP cartoons of both (not all.. haha) generations are wonderful, with incredible illustration and imaginative stories and characters. The toys themselves are true works of art as well... and really I just like looking at them all lined up smiling down on me in my room. Having a rainbow of magic little ponies and that wonderful plastic smell... It feels like the happiest place on earth :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »
Awwwwww Jinxxxy big huge hugs! I agree with everything you said : )

Acheron187

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 02:54:42 AM »
Ever since I picked up my fashion style ponies I just have found some fun in styling their manes; I was one of those boys who had Barbies when I was really young.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 04:20:43 AM »
Looking at my pony collection just relaxes me. I loved them as a child and that never really went away. I hate cleaning them but love the morning after when  you unwrap the tissues paper and see a clean and sparkly pony to go and join the others. I love the thrill of the hunt at bootsales and charity shops. I adore their faces...look at a pony and try not to smile. Almost impossible! And I have an addictive personality - I will always be obsessed by something; ponies are safe and make me happy :)

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline juliepinetree

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 05:18:06 AM »
From my first ponies I got for my 4th birthday to now, there is just something magical about them.  I've never stopped loving them or buying them.  They just make me squee with happiness, and that's enough!

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 05:52:18 AM »
Nostalgia is one thing that makes me collect, harking back to a time before the world became complicated and painful. I stopped collecting in my mid teens but started again then stopped again mostly because of needing the money for other things. Last year I bot back into collecting. I mostly collect G1. I also collect Monster High. For me the ponies are still about nostalgia but also speaking to people around the world about a shared interest. Being able to buy ponies from people all over. And the thrill of winning a pony you really want on ebay. They are simply just great little great little tokens to collect and admire.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

TwilightOwl

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 06:28:08 AM »
I love them for most of the reasons already mentioned here. As a child I would sometimes get a pony on a special occasion, and rarely I would see the toy aisle with pocket money in hand ready to make a difficult decision. I would devour the art on the back cards and pine for the other ponies I saw there. So, the first reason I collect is surely nostalgia.

The G1s are just sweet faced, colorful, and pretty. I have them arranged in a rainbow by color in my painting studio, and they inspire me.  The variety in the G1 line allows for so much individuallity. They balance out some of the darkness in the world, and remind me of sweetness and simplicity and a childlike perspective on life. So, the second reason I collect is inspiration.

I love a good treasure hunt. Looking for MLP items on Ebay or in thrift stores is like the ultimate treasure hunt. Finding a great deal online, or any G1 while thrifting actually elicits a biochemichal response that is quite addictive, especially to an intense or anxiety prone personality. I'm addicted to treasure hunting, and that is the third reason I collect MLP.

I love to turn something that someone considers garbage into something beautiful. It feels like redemption, a good deed, art. Fixing, cleaning, rehairing, symbol touch up...restoration in general is so rewarding. So, fourth reason, not specific to MLP only, but relevant to my collection is the joy of restoration and customization. :biggrin:

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 07:12:29 AM »
First, a lot of the reasons above!

To make a lot of reasons really short, I love doing what I do because:

*The Fans/Communities-Everyone is so nice and helping each other, no one belittles everyone over any type of mlp collection! Like someone else already said, Friendhsip really IS Magic! ^-^ I have soo many awesome MLP fan friends and we even say we are "pegasisters" I absolutely love sharing the same interests as other people!
*The influence! Im overwhelmed and the breathtakingly beautiful artwork and music this franchise inspires, especially the G4 series!
*I dont get bored with MLP-Theres always something fun to do with them! Take pictures of them, brush their manes, style them, make fun videos with them, display them i na collection, etc!
*They look beautiful together-even a few ponies look fabulous!
*They take up less space than other dolls! I always preferred animal toys over human-like dolls anyways.
*The thrill-taking that short trip up to the store to spy on pony merch... can feel like an exciting, crazy adventure! I feel victorious when I find that one blind bag im missing! Sometimes I find pony toys released early!
*They are just so darned cute! ^-^
*For creating nostaglia! I feel like Im living a second childhood right now-I love it! I feel so young and im only 22! Going up to the toy store is exhilarating and I get toys for my b-day and holidays again! =P
* I cant say anything bad about mlp... the shows are great-nothing bad or disgusting that I wouldnt let kids watch. Theres so many family and friendship life lessons I feel are important for all audiences to learn =) Heck, I watched a G4 episode that actually made me realize family is so important- I even called my mom and got my family to stop fighting! I havnt cried so much ever.... because of a kids show, I found out a way to help fix my family. There was so much peace of mind!
*Theres no rush collecting mlp toys. With Gen 1's still popular, its a peaceful, laid back hobby!
* I want something to pass down to my future children. I never got anything from my mom and only a few small items from my grandma. Passing down an entire collection would be amazing for them, something I never got!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 08:05:31 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 07:17:07 AM »
Ponies have been with me all my life, they're something that has that "childhood innocence". They're also one of the only toys I remember from childhood, so.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:33 AM »
For me it's a little different I think. There is the nostalgia factor of course and all the great things that everyone else has said about the community at large.

For me it's also about being honest with myself and regaining a piece of my childhood. Growing up I wasn't allowed to have girls toys and it was something I was always drawn to. I loved going over to my friend Sarah's house (to play with barbies and ponies) but I knew if my parents were aware of it that I wouldn't be allowed to go over anymore.  I never understood why they cared about what I liked.

Anyways, now when I get ponies I feel like I'm getting a piece of my childhood I wasn't alliowed to have growing up. Cheesy, no?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal