collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Dry/Frizzy Hair?  (Read 515 times)

Mlphammy

• Trade Count: (0)
Dry/Frizzy Hair?
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:07 AM »
Iv'e got several ponys with dry hair. Any tip on how to get it soft and silky?  I know hot ironing it might help, but anything else?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Dry/Frizzy Hair?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:36:46 AM »
Cold water, lots of conditioner, and a flat iron.  Make sure the hair is wet when ironing! 

If that fails, try an overnight soak in some fabric softener, and then another ironing with wet conditioned hair. 

Put hair into straws/curlers/whatever and let set to dry for at least 2-3 days.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:39:05 AM »
Depends... if it's dirt that is making the hair feel coarse, then a simple wash and condition could do the trick. Some ponies have ended up with silkier hair simply after I've washed them, especially when using hot water to rinse (although my water comes out of the tap quite hot, hot enough to burn).

Hot ironing can both help or hurt.... People who are vehemently against it usually had a bad experience themselves or  have seen ponies with crispy, dry and crunchy flat ironed hair.... I only used a curved flat iron so it doesn't leave lines across the hair where the edge of the iron touched, I test on a small patch first and.... honestly it's taken me  a while to get the technique down to a point where I'm confident. Some I do wet, some dry, it all depends on what I'm working with hair texture and damage wise... :)

No experience with G4's-

G1's -
Be careful with fading pink, heat can fade/yellow this haircolour, and lavender hair (north star haircolour) heat will change this haircolour slightly.

Tinsel- I always hand pick out every tinsel strand and straighten that seperatly on the lowest setting, while dry......

It is time consuming, so I only bother fixing hair on ponies who are in fairly lovely condition otherwise, with already decent tinsel... If you iron together the metallic tinsels may get the colour coating stripped off (especially true when using conditioner while straightening), the clear tinsel melts easily into a mess.... Even trying to tame the clear tinsel separately is difficult. :) - people wipe this tinsel with anti-static dryer sheets to make it tamed for display.... I haven't tried this myself though.

G3's-
Clear tinsel/metallic tinsel (same as above)
Hair- tends to be of lesser quality then G1 hair... a little easier to fry accidentally...

if you have anything in baity/hopeless condition you'll be using as customs anyway kicking around I'd do some tests on them first. :)

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
I would wash and condition first (you may need to let the conditioner sit for a long time before rinsing it out), let it dry, and if that doesn't do it, then re-wet and try a flat iron. Although I'm one of those people who has no success with the iron. I haven't ever made it worse, but I've never been able to make it better either.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 01:22:36 PM »
If its just a tangle then a dip in boiling water is a good first step. If its more dirt that's causing the problem, then I would go with a conditioner soak, later conditioner in the hair [human or fabric] then wrap the hair in saran wrap in order to keep it wet. Leave it to soak and then wash out and shampoo. You can repeat this a couple of times if you think it helps. If neither of these work then yes, you ll need to move on to a flat iron.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Mlphammy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
Ok, thanks  :)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 07:38:31 PM »
I've actually let conditioner sit in a pony's hair for DAYS. Of course, there's a point at which it won't get any better, but I've come to the perhaps superstitious conclusion that if you let the conditioner sit long enough for it to turn the hair stiff and rinse it out afterwards, you'll get a better result. I've had a shocking amount of success with just hot water, conditioner and a comb, but of course, it depends. Sometimes I think there's only so much you can do.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:08:22 PM »
There are some good tips on here that I am going to have to use myself :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal