collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you do it?  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you do it?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 12:03:31 AM »
Haha I have been getting my house unpacked after nearly threeyears away and I have about 6 or 700  to  deal with, the few I've looked at have grimed up in their boxes so when the time comes...

Baby Yoyo, wow to the washing machine!

Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 12:10:27 AM »
I'm another wierdo, I LOVE cleaning my ponies! I give them a scrub when they come to me, then once/twice a year I'll pull my whole collection out and do a spring cleaning. As my collection only numbers about 120 at the moment, it's not too difficult. If I had the enormous collection that some of you guys have, it may be a different story...

Offline foalpatrol

• Hello, Clarice
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 12:16:55 AM »
I love cleaning ponies!  Nothing is better than getting a huge lot of 30 or so and cleaning them all at once!  My pony heaven:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
Very intrigued by the dishwasher idea.  I have a ton of baity G1s, some are FILTHY.  I think I will toss a couple in and see what happens.  Short cycle, no sanitize I assume?  Or, if you can boil the suckers, maybe sanitize is OK?
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Nienna

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »
I like doing it, but only a few at the time as others have said :P I think it was scarletjul and hathorcat who said to set a goal and then stop after that... that way, you feel a sense of accomplishment once you're done and you won't go crazy!

Btw, I love the baby wipes tip, I'm going to try that!!
She is
Cinderella in disguise, or the mermaid in despite
Of her very human feet, dancing in her ballroom suite

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 01:34:16 AM »
i love doing it ! and have a weekend and i do a storage box at a time then have a cup of tea or something ! i have put them in sealable bags to so they dont get as dusty i have about 300 odd but i put a film on or music while im doing it usualy its just hair wash and a wipe over but with new ponies i like to get all the muck off if needed  :) xaflame

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 02:21:56 AM »
Thanks for the tips everyone! :) I don't own a dishwasher but we do have a normal washing machine. However it sounds kinda risky to me XD
I'm gonna go check in an asian store I know of next time I'm up in the city and see if they have Magic Eraser. Otherwise I might just have to ask one of you guys in the US to help me buy it :P

And to answere the question if ponies in bags get dirty. Yes they do =/ As I put them all in ziplock bags, wrapped the bag around the pony without actually sealing it and then stored them in big plastic boxes underneath my bed for a decade both air and dust have made its way in inside the bags. For a short while I don't think this would be a problem. But take 10 years of this and yeh, the ponies do come out with abit of surfacedirt. 

I have this ocd thing so I just can't put a dirty pony into my new clean bookcases. That would drive me insane in the longrun, knowing they're in there all dirty.
So I want to get them cleaned before they go in there. But yeh, my collection of G1's numbers around 600 or so, so it's quite a task >.<
But I'll take a few sets a day as suggested. Get them clean and up on display. This way I should be done in a few weeks anyway :P
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »
We have magic erasers in Finland, so i'd be suprised if you dont have them in Sweden.  :) They're not available in every store, but they're here!

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 08:40:05 AM »
when i needed to clean all my G1's and dust all my G3's i did it over a few weeks doing 5 at a time.... that way it wasnt sooo bad

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 05:00:23 PM »
OK, I put 2 G1 baits in the dishwasher, short cycle, heat dry off, cooler temp.  Definitely cleaner, some marker is lighter.  More stuff came off with a baby wipe.  Plan for tomorrow is trying this with a regular cycle and some oxyclean.  Since I have to do some laundry, I may as well toss someone in there as well. 

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
OK, I put 2 G1 baits in the dishwasher, short cycle, heat dry off, cooler temp.  Definitely cleaner, some marker is lighter.  More stuff came off with a baby wipe.  Plan for tomorrow is trying this with a regular cycle and some oxyclean.  Since I have to do some laundry, I may as well toss someone in there as well. 

rybett - how do you explain to the warranty people if a pony breaks your dishwasher?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 04:15:02 AM »
Cat, the thing is 10 yrs old so I don't think there is one.  I did discover Oxy powder does not like the dishwasher.  I was checking on them every few 'cause I did not want melting.  All things being equal, the washing machine did as good a job at cleaning.  Would only clean baits this way.  Fun experiment.  ;)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
Cat, the thing is 10 yrs old so I don't think there is one.  I did discover Oxy powder does not like the dishwasher.  I was checking on them every few 'cause I did not want melting.  All things being equal, the washing machine did as good a job at cleaning.  Would only clean baits this way.  Fun experiment.  ;)

Lol - I think I just have visions of my own luck which would involve a pony head getting sucked into the waste pipe and then me having to explain to the £50 an hour plumber exactly what I was doing with my dishwater lol!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline rybett

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
Ahh.  See, that's where the little spokes come in.  Heads fit perfectly.  But that would be funny to see someone explain.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 02:24:57 PM »
O.O Oh my gosh.... They got dirty in bags, stored? I haven't had that problem with mine... but I am really bad about cleaning my house - I obsessively over-clean, vacuum all the time. I loathe dust and grime... I wipe down storage boxes and bins every few months too... My "winning the lottery" fantasy is having a professional cleaner come in every day more then being able to buy my dream ponies.  :lookround:

I have some boxes at my parents wrapped much like yours, inside the boxes each pony is loosely bagged, and I have them wrapped in tissue to prevent rubbing of paint and scuffing bodies and to protect them during transit when I send for them... Lets just say my parents don't share my grime-phobic affliction. lol. They've been down there for years now... most likely it looks like I will indeed have my own group to re-clean too... :( I have never thought about that before.

As for light dust, do you have dollar stores? I've had excellent luck with lightly dampened microfiber cloths, I buy at my local dollar store. They pull up dust and light surface dirt like crazy, you also don't risk tailrust with this method (vs. repeat wet cleaning). :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:30:43 PM by FantasticFirefly »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal