collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice about selling at a convention  (Read 517 times)

Offline kadajkitten

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
Advice about selling at a convention
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
So I was planning on renting an artist table at phoenix comicon which is $250 and since I'm about 2 hours away I need a hotel and at least 2 tanks of gas and I have no experience selling things at a convention I've only gone as an attendee, I was planning on selling art prints of ponies and maybe anime characters, and maybe custom ponies and custom blind bag ponies, do you think these will sell well or should I add some other things to my selling list? I want to make at least $200 back and I'm really artistic, but I can't think of what else to sell, any advice?

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice about selling at a convention
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:12:50 PM »
I know as a con attendee I like small prints as well as 11x17 prints just because I'm getting a pile of large prints with no room on the wall! There's a guy I keep seeing at cons that does a 5x5 art print, I think they're like 7 each or 4 for 20? I love love LOVE this size.  A lot of people are doing blindbag keychains, but I know I'd pay quite a bit more for a custom blindbag keychain, I think that would be awesome! 

I've seen a lot of people do shrinky dink earrings and resin bottlecap jewelry/hairbows and those seem to sell incredibly well at conventions too.

Good luck with your sales!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 07:00:47 PM »
I think pins sell really well... pins and buttons.
My friend has a pin business and she does amazing.

and... commissions.
I would of sank completely for my first artist alley table if I did not offer commissions.

As for anime, knowing what is extremely popular also really helps. I have to rely on my friend for good selling characters. My second con was a ton times better than the first since I listened to her the second time. XD (And then I didn't have to rely on commissions).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

amylynnamylynn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
I second commissions-when people see your pony art they may want you to draw their favorite pony or oc.  It helps to have a price list for that before they ask, like $5 pencil sketch, $10 ink and so forth.

I'm not "up" on what's popular, but I do $5 jewelry at conventions and it's what usually pays for my table. 

Also, make sure you have a way to display your art, I use the grids that stack up and hang everything on that, but I've seen people use pvc pipe with good results.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 12:11:20 PM »
Sounds like a great idea! I admit that anything that doesnt take up too much room in my bag is always what I am most likely to buy - may sound odd but small prints and items which are not to easily damaged are always something I consider when I am going to be going around a con all day.

Have a fantastic time if you decide to go ahead!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline kadajkitten

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, if anyone else has ideas to share I would be grateful ^^

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:34:38 PM »
Bring food and bottled water! Trust me, it can be very difficult to get away from your booth to get food or a drink.  Even if the con rules say that no food is allowed in the room, it's usually waved for vendors.

I have a plastic tote set aside that has all of my con supplies in it.  Off the top of my head, it contains:

Table Cloth
safety pins
scissors
tape
plain paper
marker
Wire cube shelving
business cards
Folding hand truck (I don't have this exact one; mines black.  This is the one I want!)
Paper bags with my logo on them for customer purchases (or plastic grocery sacks)

I know there's more, but that's generally what I'm always sure to bring.  It's a huge help to have everything in one place so i don't even have to think about what to grab.

Other general tips... Um.  Load up your car the night before. I have a con binder that contains all important addresses, tickets, event info, area attractions, and anything I might need to know.  That goes in the front seat the night before with my GPS so I know I can get there quickly!

Ooh!  Money management!  While cash boxes can be somewhat convenient, I dislike having all of my money in something that is so identifiable as a cash holder and is easily stolen.  I prefer to keep my cash on me.  That's why I used to wear cargo pants. This past year I made a vendors apron.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It has a zippered back pocket for larger bills or for when I want to keep the bills in the front pocket down.  There's a spot for pens and a clip for my car keys so I can find them quickly.  The main pocket holds the cash.  I use index cards between denominations to make things easier when making change.

Of course, these tips are just what I do for cons. Feel free to ignore or adjust to what works best for you!  And, of course, enjoy the con. =)

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »
Everyones got such great tips. I was wondering two as I hope to sell next year.
~Foxtale~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »
Wow Eskara those are some awesome tips - thats like a compact how to sell guide...perfect!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
Hehe  :lovey: Can you tell I've been doing this for a while? I've sold at flea markets, toy shows, and conventions since I was in high school!

Ooh, another tip.  If you accept commissions, have some forms for people to fill out and a pricing structure decided on before hand.  My custom commission forms have a space for their name, address, description of what they want, how much paid, how much is due, and the promise date.  I then give them a receipt with my contact information and how much is due and the promise date on it.

And you might want to sign up for square if you have a smart phone.  This way, you'll be able to accept credit card payments right there! It's a huge help to making the larger sales.

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »
That is super helpful information Eskara :D
:heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal