collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 546
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: First time going to Disneyworld! Any Advice?  (Read 2406 times)

shadowdreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
First time going to Disneyworld! Any Advice?
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:46:08 PM »
My grandma, for my graduation\senior trip, is taking me to Disney world! 5 Days, 1 day per park, then the 5th day is to go to Magic Kingdom and then Epcot again. She said she might extend it another day if we have too. We are going for 2 reasons. 1, the senior trip that everyone in the school was going too was a cruise, and I don't like water, and I don't like boats. So I did not go. (plus it was expensive) 2, I have never gone, and it has been my dream since I was little to go to Disney world! We are going to drive there, since it is only about a 9 hour drive from where I live. So a one day car ride. We are going to stay at the Shades of Green resort on Disney property since it is a military only resort. (My grandpa is retired Air Force) We are going around mid-September, our reasoning is that school will be just starting and it is not yet October, and it will be cooler then August but not  all Halloweenie themed like October. Since this is my first and probably only time I will ever go to Disney, they are trying to make it was special as I can. I will get an auto graph book, and I will get an auto graph, hugs and pictures from all my favorite characters! Even if I am not a kid.  Since I am going to all 4 parks. What are your trips to survive Disney world? Any shops that are just a must? Any rides that are just amazing? Keep in mind me and my grandma both hate roller coasters are anything that goes fast. So... Think mild rides, and attractions.  Just any advice you have at all will help me, because I am kind of a planner. I like to have everything planned out. Not exactly to every second, but I like to know where things are and what I want to do and what I don't wanna do. Thank you! :)

Offline juliepinetree

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: First time going to Disneyworld! Any Advice?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
It's been a few years for me, but here is what I remember that was really fun and neat.  In Animal Kingdom, go on the safari ride.  It's like you are really in Africa with the animals and they did a super job of hiding the fences.  Just amazing, and it's on a big outdoor tour bus/jeep thing. 
In Magic Kingdom, I went on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, which was nice and cool.  It is a slow ride good for relaxing and enjoying all the sights in it.  Epcot is just amazing.  I loved seeing all of the world that they had set up.  Just the time to walk through it all is great.  And the fireworks/parade is fantastic at night.  Oh, and the 3D ride is really fun.  The one they had when I was there was "Honey I shrunk the audience."   
Something fun I also did was collect pins.  They have pin stands in all the parks, and you can find some pins only in certain places.  It's really fun, and there is also some people who do trading while there. 

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
Yay, congrats! Disney is one of my favorite places in the world. My must-visits are:
-The fireworks show at Cinderella's castle at 11 pm. So amazing. Hit it more than once if you can.
-the Tower of Terror. It's actually not all that intense, but it is scary.
-Epcot--just, everything! It's good you have two days there because it's worth it. All the Tomorrowland stuff is amazing. I also liked the Cokes around the world thing if that's still there.
-Lunch at Cindy's castle if you can. The food and characters are both great, and it totally ties the experience together.

Also, pin trading! Buy a lanyard and pins, and you can trade with cast members and other guests.

Also also, definitely utilize fastpass. It's a lifesaver on the popular rides.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Faerie-StarV

• Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
I used to work at the Disney theme parks three years ago when I was in college at Magic Kingdom. I can tell you a few things to avoid on certain hours and such.

If your gonna eat somewhere, whether it be a restaurant or a cafe, eat before 12 or after 2 because during those hours are busy and hectic! O_O I used to work at Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe as a food server and once it hits 12, the line gets packed up and the cafe is really crowded. So crowded that we have to use a line strip and had to hold the crowd off until someone is done with their meal and leave the table. We can't allow others to sit down unless they're eating there and have their food. If you don't feel like waiting until to eat later, have a light snack like a popcorn or an ice cream from the vendors to fill you up a little until lunchtime.

If you want to go on a fast rides such as Tower of Terror or Space Mountain, don't eat before riding them. One of the cast-members told me when I was working there that the guests would get sick and loose their breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner right after they eat. They had to clean it up and it wasn't really pretty. Wait an hour or so before riding them on or better yet, ride them before you eat! :D If any of you or your family members have a history of heart or health problems, those rides may not be for you since we get a lot of death reports due to people dying because of their heart problems and so forth.

The shops are fun, I can tell you that. My favorite shops are the world shops in Epcot, they got so much cool stuff! I usually go there on my days off for a few hours(the perks of working at the park and I get in for free XD ) to browse around or sometimes to shop. My favorite store is the Japan World store where they sell lots of Japanese kimono's, furniture, food, manga, and even some cute plushies like Pokemon! I do regret not buying that adorable Mew plushie. ;3;

shadowdreamer

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »
Pins! I love pins! I did not know there was a pin trade thing! I will write that down. 

Also, can you explain how fastpass works?! I have heard of it but I don't understand how to do it.

I will not go on fast rides at all XD or scary rides for that mater, I like gentle rides...the only ride that will be kinda "crazy" that I go on is the tea cups and or star tours! XD I don't like scary\fast things.

Oh I am gonna have a blast in the Japan world! o.o

Fireworks\parades are a defendant must do! :)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »
Fastpass is pretty easy. You go to the kiosk near the ride and get a pass that tells you to come back at a certain time. Then at that time, you get to go to the head of the line! Also, iirc you can only have one fastpass at a time.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:53:26 PM »
There's a Fastpass station outside of every ride that offers a Fastpass. You just put your ticket in and it gives you a Fastpass. Then you come back at the time printed on the pass and get to "skip" the line. Unfortunately, you can only get one every hour and a half to two hours, so pick the busiest rides.

Must dos:

Animal Kingdom - Safari, Kali River Rapids. The safari is fun and you get to see lots of animals close up. And the rapids gets you nice and soaked when its blazing hot outside.

Magic Kingdom - Haunted Mansion!! Make sure you go check out New Fantasyland too, its so cool! if you want to eat in Beast's castle...go before 12 or after 2. They start serving sit down dinner at 5 and you need reservations. You might be able to make some online now, but I think they're booked months in advance.

Epcot - Test Track. It only goes fast during the outside loop, and its fun. Do not do Mission Space. Just say no.

Hollywood Studios - TOY STORY MANIA. So much fun. Get there when the park opens and hightail it over there. Get a fastpass just in case, and then get in line. This always has a 120 minute long line if not more. This is the only way to get on it without waiting forever. I also have a bit of a soft spot for The Great Movie Ride. It's long but its pretty cool. And interactive!

I used to work at Disney, and I've been 100s of times. I'm a Florida baby lol. It's definitely my favorite place on the planet. I second eating before 12 or after 2. Downtown Disney has some cool shops, and an awesome pin trading shop. Definitely do pin trading, it's really fun!! The Japan shop at Epcot is THE BOMB, though. I also like Mouse Gear (Epcot).

If you want to save on parking, you can take the Disney buses pretty much everywhere, also. It definitely helps since parking is like $15 a day. Also, if you're going to Magic Kingdom, you can go through the right side of the gate, say you're going to the hotels. Then go park at one of the hotels and hop on the monorail. Or, if you park at the Grand Floridian, you can just walk to the main gate of Magic Kingdom. Tell the security guard you're eating at the hotel =). For Epcot, park at the Boardwalk. Also say you're eating and they won't charge you. Then walk to Epcot. There's also boats from Epcot to Hollywood Studios and back.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:56:24 PM by katieklassified »

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

SparklersOasis

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 05:12:51 PM »
It's been awhile since I've been to any of the Disney parks, but I would definitely agree the Safari at Animal Kingdom.  My one tip, go early/first thing because the animals are generally more active!

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 07:12:13 PM »
I typed out a crazy long message for you, but my computer malfunctioned,,

So anyway...Eeeeeee I love Disney and I've been tons of times!!!!  Oh girl, you're going to have so much fun!!!! 

PM me sweetie, and I'll give you my opinion about each park:). 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
Definitely stay away from the Tower of Terror.  My dad forced me to go on that ride.  Never again.  Never again.

It's been a long time since I've went, but I remember having fun on the Dinosaur Ride in Animal Kingdom.  Definitely not a fast ride.  It may be a little scary, but I had fun. 
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Candyfloss2013

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »
Best thing to do first is to listen to Inside the magic on your ipod or youtube or got the website: http://www.insidethemagic.net. you can get alot of info of whats going on in Florida.
Secondly, don't go and get a lanyard if you are asthmatic like me because when i was there i had a heavy chest from the weight of the thing it is best if you get a pin bag/holdall.
Thirdly, Watch some other familys times at WDW by typing in WDW Vacations. (I personally watch Phill Cragg's Holidays with his fiance (they weren't engaged when they started making the videos) Emma who is a Disney Mom and her son Ben. )

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »
I went at the end of Oct in 2010 and it was a hot/humid one! The biggest tip I can give you (that I wish someone would have told me) is that the water there tastes truly terrible. :yucky: (Unless you buy bottled water.) I don't know how the water is where you're from, but I think Arizona water tastes funky... I usually bring huge jugs to buy water from the Water N Ice stores here. That being said, the water there is WORSE than AZ's tap water. It's honestly that bad. My husband and I joked about them serving swamp water. The ice isn't that bad though... So! The smartest thing we did was bring our own Camelbaks (knockoff ones from Walmart that hikers use) and and fill the "bladders" with ice in the mornings at the hotel and let it melt during the day... We had fresh water all day right there on our backs.

We're big on hydrating... Plus we weren't used to that level of humidity. We got c-baks that were pretty insulated in the area between the bladder and your back, but it did "sweat" on us a little. That didn't really matter though because we were pretty sweaty. :lol: They didn't weigh much at all and we could wear them on all rides (we rode everything). Plus! There's a couple pockets where you can carry a mini pack of wet wipes or whatever else you may need. People kept commenting to us in line that we were smart, and they wish they had thought of it. If you don't really get thirsty, or plan to take some breaks to get water/refreshments, then it probably wouldn't be as big of a deal for you. Each day, we wanted to cover every inch of which ever park we were at, with only 1 stop for lunch (and bathroom breaks of course), then have dinner at the end of the day.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
You've gotten some great advice. I don't have any advice personally, I've only been once, years ago, but there's a blogger on www.epbot.com who's a big dizgeek, lives in Orlando, and has done at least one EXCELLENT post on cannot miss awesomeness at Disney. She also doesn't do rollercoasters. I'd link directly to the post, but I have the site blocked during the day when I'm supposed to be working (really need to put this site back on the list, too :blush:  :lol:). I can come back later and pop it in.

Offline I Hate My Pony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 12:34:52 PM »
I LOVE Disney. I go either in end of May or middle of Sept for the reason you said, kids are either just ending or just starting school. It has worked out awesomely.

1. Get to the park as soon as it opens. People with kids will still be trying to get them there.

2. As you enter a park, work the map backwards (to the left). As the park opens everyone will follow the map starting at the right. By the time you make it to the right, no-one will be there.

3. If you grandma is in a wheel chair you are golden. People in wheel chairs get immediately onto all rides and bypass all lines. You will see some unscrupulous people riding around in rentable power wheel chairs for this reason. 

4. Plan to eat dinner at Epcot every night. All of the parks have standard amusement park food but the various countries in Epcot have real food that is very good.  Some countries require reservations. Make them now.

5. If you know someone with a stroller, take it and load it up with water, etc. It will also help to bring back stuff you buy at the stores.

I HATE MY PONY.

Cherokie-chan

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »
I've only ever been to Disneyland in CA, so not entirely sure if the same rules apply, but here's my advice:

- Bring your own food to the park if you can.  Disneyland will let visitors bring in sandwiches and other things to eat in the park, and if Disney World also allows it I would highly recommend doing so, as park food is insanely overpriced. 

- Someone above has already mentioned bringing your own water.  Again, buying water or other drinks at the park is ridiculously expensive, and if Florida water is anything like California water, it is vile.  If you must drink water from the fountains at the park, maybe bring along a packet of Kool-Aid or other drink flavoring to put in a bottle of tap water to make it more palatable.

- As far as rides and attractions go, I adore Star Tours.  Splash Mountain and Indiana Jones Adventure are also awesome and not too scary.  The Enchanted Tiki Room is cheesy, but fun; Pirates of the Caribbean, Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion are nice, low-key rides with a lot of atmosphere and fun things to look at.  There's also a Buzz Lightyear attraction that's a combination ride/laser shooting gallery and is a total blast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal