collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 632
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Which pony happened their way in your collection?  (Read 929 times)

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
Which pony happened their way in your collection?
« on: June 28, 2023, 04:30:44 AM »
Hello everyone,

A while back I found 2 ponies in the wild. 1 g1 pinwheel and a g3 skywishes.

I kept them both even though I have pinwheel already and I don't really collect g3 ponies.

This got me thinking, what ponies happened their way into your collection without being sought out and purchased? I would love to hear your stories :)
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Which pony happened their way in your collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2023, 12:19:53 PM »
I don’t collect G3, but I’ve gotten a whole bunch through lots.  I need to sell them off.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shes-so-unusual

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fakie!
  • Lifelong Pony Lover! G1 Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2023, 10:30:54 PM »
Maybe not stumbled in, but it’s a cute story anyway. At one BronyCon (I was like, 11 as I was a MLP super fan even at a young age) I talked to one woman selling G1 ponies. I was so excited as she had this Bluebelle bait for sale that had her mark rubbed off, head shaved, tail missing, you name it. I can’t remember how much she was, but she was dirt cheap and I was about to buy her, but she ended up just telling me I could have her for free as she thought I’d take good care of her lol. I always wonder who that was since it was one of the nicest things someone did for me at a convention! And she’s still in my collection fortunately as I took her to college with me. I’m rerooting her and painting her symbol again soon. :biggrin:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 01:27:13 AM »
In terms of ponies I didn't expect to keep, the Sugar Sweet I rescued and cleaned up from the carboot sale in surrey...I was going to sell her as I already had Sugar Sweet, but she wound up staying.

In terms of unexpected pony appearances, my Spanish Strawberry Fair, lurking in a box of 30p 'bait' ponies at a toy fair, underneath a table of way more common ponies at £5 a pop. She has a slight hair cut but she's not bad considering 30p.

Before sister and I were really online, I remember we found some of the slumber party ponies at a market in bags with a grey cardboard top stapling it together. There was a MLP rainbow but nothing else to give away their names. Pink Dreams had her wings. This was before I knew the names of any US release ponies, so they were a bit mysterious to me.

Hippety Hop is another one. I did know about SS ponies then, but the term so soft had been used here to market plushes, so I had assumed they were plush. And then I found Hippety Hop at a local market, and was kind of weirded out by her. Still bought her though. Eventually figured out what was going on xD.

And going way back to when I was maybe ten years old, there was Gypsy at my dad's school fete. She was on the orange stall, she cost 30p, and I had never seen her before irl, even though I knew exactly who she was. I remember being told that I couldn't buy her until the fete opened. So I stood very obediently by the stall, waiting for the headteacher to officially open the event. The moment I heard the applause, I grabbed her. Nobody else was getting that pony -.-.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 02:46:23 AM »
I'm sure this happens all the time with my eBay lots, but I have no memory of it - I just find the pony in my bin a year later and wonder, how'd you get there? :lmao:

I am pretty sure that the semi-manky Firefly I got in an eBay lot came with a pony I bought for someone else (a swap of some kind), and I decided to keep her out of pity. What, I'm going to buy two ponies, send one off to a nice home and send the other less-nice one back to the swamps of eBay, probably to be baited? It felt like a bad animal adoption, like abandoning a foster dog! So she stays! :P

In the same box I found a semi-rough Surprise, and I thought 'why are YOU here, I have nicer Surprises!' then next to her I found the Baby Surprise with someone's initials on her belly that matched my own! So I thought, ah. I knew I had to keep Baby Surprise, but I couldn't very well separate her from her mom who came in the same lot, right?

Toy Story may have influenced my childhood just a liiiiittle bit! :silly:
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 11:01:52 AM »
When my cousin moved from home, my aunt was cleaning out her bedroom and gave me her g1 baby starflower. Funny thing is, I don’t remember us ever playing with it as kids! So I’m unsure where it came from.. Maybe she just had it hidden in her closet? It’s a mystery.  :satisfied:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2023, 06:19:36 PM »
For me it's Cotton Candy.  Cotton Candy was my first pony.  My mom remembers buying her at the store for me.  After I got in to ponies as an adult, someone sent me a Cotton Candy and a Princess Royal Blue/Princess Sapphire as a random pony act of kindness.  Someone else was giving ponies away to a good home and a flat foot Cotton Candy arrived. A friend gave me Baby Cotton Candy.  I bought a 35th anniversary Cotton Candy.  I feel like Cotton Candy multiplied herself when I wasn't looking :lol:

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lalalei2001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2023, 08:48:57 PM »
I got Sun Shower in a lot. She's stayed with me ever since.

Offline sweetstuff85

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 01:12:16 AM »
I never really loved my Cherry Treats that much as a kid so I never thought I’d start collecting the Sweetberry ponies as I never had any others and there wasn’t much nostalgia factor for me for them. Sadly I sold all my ponies when I was 20 for extra cash to go travelling so up until about a year ago I did not have any Sweetberry ponies in my herd.

I ended up finding Raspberry Jam in the wild and bought her as the “No pony left behind rule  gets me most times” and really ended up being quite fond of her. Now I’m only missing Cherry Treats from that set, as she continues to allude me. I was very excited to find Cranberry Muffins a couple weeks ago, who I thought I would never have as she’s very sought after and expensive, but I found her online for $20 bucks (which I sort of thought was a scam at first). Thankfully it wasn’t and she has factory curls Woop!

I have to say that this set of ponies has quickly become one of my favourites, BlueBerry Baskets is just perfection in real life. Not sure why I was holding out on them for so long.

Anyone else have sets like that?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 01:15:25 AM by sweetstuff85 »

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 05:37:58 AM »
For me it was always ponies in bait lots that weren't bait. I got Bubbles and SS Truly that way. 

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2023, 05:57:59 AM »
Most of my childhood g1s, since they were gifted to me without me picking or asking.
Windy
Fizzy
Moondancer
Sweet Pop
Princess Tiffany
Dancing Butterflies
Whizzer
Shady
Tug
Mirror Mirror
Sunnybunch
Baby Starflower
Wildflower
Lickety-split
Baby Wave Dancer

Other G1s:
Genie
Hula Hula
Curlylocks
Bunny Hop
Baby Drummer
Minty
Baby Racer
Trickles

G3s:
Star Dasher
Rainbowdash
Sparkleworks
Denim Blue
Blushie
Soda Float
Tea Leaf
Baby Keen Bean
Toola Roola 1
Baby Pink Sunsparkle
Sweet Summertime
Banjo Blue
Tink-a-tink-a-too
Cotton Candy
Star Catcher
Artless

G4:
Pretzel
Lucky Clover
Princess Luna
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2023, 07:39:47 PM »
My mom owns and runs a Facebook buy-and-sell group, and always tells all the people on there plus her many friends to look out for ponies for me. She's just awesome that way! Over the years, she's had friends who got me some really neat stuff including...

-One of those carry-case barns with a couple of the puffy stickers attached; plus a G1 puzzle and Tootsie.
-The lady a state away who often does our hair; she actually was the one who bleached and dyed mine to look like Mint Dreams for Ponyfair one year. She was away taking care of her dying father but somehow still had it in her heart to find me the open mouth Windy softies plush while garage-saling. For that I will always be appreciative.
-Similarly, my mom found the same kind of G1 plush of Cotton Candy in a 'free' bin at a garage sale one time.
-Another friend of hers found me Bubblefish at the Salvation Army in the town I've since moved into. Crazy to think that it was so local but I haven't had hardly any luck in that location myself.
-Yet another different person found Twirler...and then mom also found me Brilliant Blossoms.
-Also my dad's current wife got me FF Minty, Sugarberry and Bow Tie WITH HER ORIGINAL RIBBON.

Lastly, there is an older woman in town who runs an antiques sort of shop with so many vintage and antique toys. We've known each other for a long time, ever since I started collecting in fact and to this day, we're still friends. She has always looked out for ponies for me and I've gotten so many that she found especially for me. The most recent were many of the G1 Newborns, particularly Squirmy and Shaggy. I also got many of my very first G1s from her, like Firefly, Sprinkles, FF Blossom and Bow Tie (whom I upgraded with the aforementioned one years later.)

These ones are amongst the ones I treasure most because they were from people who cared enough for me to look out for ponies, whether they knew me well or not. I think that's incredibly special and speaks to how good humanity can be.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 06:21:32 AM »
My mom owns and runs a Facebook buy-and-sell group, and always tells all the people on there plus her many friends to look out for ponies for me. She's just awesome that way! Over the years, she's had friends who got me some really neat stuff including...

-One of those carry-case barns with a couple of the puffy stickers attached; plus a G1 puzzle and Tootsie.
-The lady a state away who often does our hair; she actually was the one who bleached and dyed mine to look like Mint Dreams for Ponyfair one year. She was away taking care of her dying father but somehow still had it in her heart to find me the open mouth Windy softies plush while garage-saling. For that I will always be appreciative.
-Similarly, my mom found the same kind of G1 plush of Cotton Candy in a 'free' bin at a garage sale one time.
-Another friend of hers found me Bubblefish at the Salvation Army in the town I've since moved into. Crazy to think that it was so local but I haven't had hardly any luck in that location myself.
-Yet another different person found Twirler...and then mom also found me Brilliant Blossoms.
-Also my dad's current wife got me FF Minty, Sugarberry and Bow Tie WITH HER ORIGINAL RIBBON.

Lastly, there is an older woman in town who runs an antiques sort of shop with so many vintage and antique toys. We've known each other for a long time, ever since I started collecting in fact and to this day, we're still friends. She has always looked out for ponies for me and I've gotten so many that she found especially for me. The most recent were many of the G1 Newborns, particularly Squirmy and Shaggy. I also got many of my very first G1s from her, like Firefly, Sprinkles, FF Blossom and Bow Tie (whom I upgraded with the aforementioned one years later.)

These ones are amongst the ones I treasure most because they were from people who cared enough for me to look out for ponies, whether they knew me well or not. I think that's incredibly special and speaks to how good humanity can be.

That is heart warming.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 09:14:22 PM »
I got G1 Angel as a deflock project but ended up loving her deflocked and kept her.  I thought I was done collecting G1s but there's always room for more.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 11:13:22 PM »
I have quite a few of these now! :lol: I have a small collection, around 50 ponies including some playsets. And I was very specific on the ponies I really wanted. I have sold several when I felt it was inceeasing too much. The first one to stay that I never intended is Gusty. I love Gusty! My sister had her when we were kids. I bought this one as she came complete with backcard and puffy sticker. I only wanted those things as my sister collected those items as well. She already had the pony of course. I tried to sell this pony three times. I never got any takers, and I was really Happy about it each time she didn’t sell. Now she lives with the rest of my ponies. The same thing happened with german baby Moondancer and baby Glory (with non-glittering symbols). I love those two, and bought them in a lot because I wanted another pony. I’ve since sold all the other ponies from that lot except those two!

My last three ponies that made their way to my collection unexpected is Poppy (August Birthflower, the Scandinavian one), Scandinavian Truly and Yellow Moondancer. All three were flea market finds. They are really beautiful ponies and I’m having problems letting go:heart:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal