collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else actually loves the og 80s MLP the movie?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
Re: Anyone else actually loves the og 80s MLP the movie?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2023, 04:33:53 AM »
i haven't seen it since i was a kid but i loved it so much. we actually rented it so many times from the grocery store video rental place that the tape broke!
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 04:22:53 AM »
I like it. I got it on DVD.
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline Destiny

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 04:53:05 AM »
I do!
It remains one of my fave old cartoons and I still watch it from time to time. I'm sure most of it is nostalgia, but I just think it's so fun and sweet <3

I also love that my dad nicknamed one of my dogs, Grumlebum, which is what the grundel king yells in frustration in the danish dub. Apparently my brother and I watched it so much as kids, the word stuck with my dad, though not remembering where it came from XD

I love it! Unfortunaly the DVD-version has a different dub than what I grew up with so I usually watch the crappier quality I have on the computer which I transfered from my VHSs a couple of years ago.

This! It's the same with the danish dvd release. So I either watch my old worn out vhs tape or I watch it in english. I really need to get the tape copied to dvd though. My brother is autistic and does not understand english, but he loves the cartoon and the new dub annoys him, always telling me the voices are wrong lol.
Apple sauce!!

Offline FernMariposa919

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2023, 09:40:16 AM »
It's been a minute since I've seen the My Little Pony movie....probably the early 2000s. I don't even remember if I rented it or found it online or what. While it does bring nostalgia, I don't really like it. Even though it's been awhile since I've seen it, I remember the witches having a lot of screen time and I wanted to see the ponies!

I prefer "Rescue at Midnight Castle" and "Escape from Catrina" much more to the movie.

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2023, 09:59:33 AM »
i haven't seen it since i was a kid but i loved it so much. we actually rented it so many times the tape broke  :P

lol i forgot i already replied to this thread  :P
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 04:57:41 AM by Beth3346 »
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2023, 02:55:09 PM »
I'm going to break the mould and say no, not really xD.

I'm a G1 kid, but I didn't see the movie till I was about 13 or thereabouts.

Since FIM happened, I've appreciated the G1 animation more than I maybe did in the time before. There are some episodes I really do like, and some that are nostalgic. I don't hate the movie, I just don't have a strong positive feeling or affection for it. Aside the smooze song, which I think is a classic.

The main reason I don't click with it is that the characterisation of the ponies is all wrong. I mean, it isn't wrong, but it contradicts the characters of the ponies as they were in the comics, which ironically were based on their original backcard stories from the US as much as anything. The movie makes Magic Star unmagical, Shady a negative wimp, and Gusty snarky, among others. In the comics/fact file world here, Magic Star was the most magical pony who could grant wishes, Shady had psychadelic glasses through which she could see other worlds, and Gusty was the baby pony nurse who took care of the newborn twins etc. I couldn't marry up the depictions with that from my childhood, so I pretty much didn't take to it.

I feel like that about a lot of the G1 animation. I grew up with the comics from a really young age, so any pony that appears in the animation but not the comics, or whose personality is different in the cartoon, jars with me (Paradise is the only exception). So it's not just the movie, but I really don't think it's the best among the animated G1 stuff.

It's a million miles better than the FIM G1 movie though. I mean, the FIM one has better quality animation, given when it was made, but it's otherwise horrific.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 01:31:25 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2023, 11:09:15 AM »
I love it.  I wish more time had been taken in drawing the ponies, and that they looked more like the first two specials, but I still liked the movie!
yeah i wish the movie wasn't split between several chinese studios the quality seriously suffered for it
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2023, 11:54:58 AM »
I love it.  I wish more time had been taken in drawing the ponies, and that they looked more like the first two specials, but I still liked the movie!
yeah i wish the movie wasn't split between several chinese studios the quality seriously suffered for it

None of the animation was done in China... it was by Toei (Japan) and AKOM (South Korea).

Splitting animation between multiple studios is generally standard practice for western cartoons. Usually it works out fine and you'll only notice the switches between studios if you're really looking for them (for movies, anyway).

The actual problem is that one of the studios they picked was AKOM :P AKOM's output back in the day (I don't think they're doing much these days other than Simpsons?) was VERY inconsistent and variable, sometimes they'd turn out nice-looking shows and other times it'd be all over the place, and that's putting it mildly/politely, lol. TVTropes has a pretty good rundown of some of their more infamous screw-ups (scroll down to the "lazy artist" section), to give you an idea of what they're like.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 11:59:41 AM by Carrehz »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2023, 12:01:31 PM »
No, but I wouldn’t blame someone for loving it.   My childhood favorites were the first two specials and that was the standard I held to all the following animations.

But, I do feel some strong nostalgia for the posters and advertising for it.   :)
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2023, 01:33:05 AM »

None of the animation was done in China... it was by Toei (Japan) and AKOM (South Korea).

Splitting animation between multiple studios is generally standard practice for western cartoons. Usually it works out fine and you'll only notice the switches between studios if you're really looking for them (for movies, anyway).

The actual problem is that one of the studios they picked was AKOM :P AKOM's output back in the day (I don't think they're doing much these days other than Simpsons?) was VERY inconsistent and variable, sometimes they'd turn out nice-looking shows and other times it'd be all over the place, and that's putting it mildly/politely, lol. TVTropes has a pretty good rundown of some of their more infamous screw-ups (scroll down to the "lazy artist" section), to give you an idea of what they're like.

This is not pony related but there are similar quality issues with some of the Jem episodes and I think for the same reason. It was the same overall company at the time. There are episodes like Journey to Shangrila where the animation issues are so bad they're actually hilarious...so it seems like it was a general cost-saving exercise across the board with animation for shows like this at this time.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gusty.87

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2023, 01:37:47 AM »
I love the G1 movie... I will never forget the first pony coming out of the Dream Castle, Gusty..! Since then, she's my favorite pony... Such beautiful moment :)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2023, 01:23:48 PM »

ah i forgot which studios did what, i just know from talking to an old teacher that worked on it shortly. that the studios were bad at communicating and marking what ponies were supposed be where and who, which was why the canyon chase and the Ogg scene had the wrong ones.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2023, 04:05:41 AM »
I do!
It remains one of my fave old cartoons and I still watch it from time to time. I'm sure most of it is nostalgia, but I just think it's so fun and sweet <3

I also love that my dad nicknamed one of my dogs, Grumlebum, which is what the grundel king yells in frustration in the danish dub. Apparently my brother and I watched it so much as kids, the word stuck with my dad, though not remembering where it came from XD

I love it! Unfortunaly the DVD-version has a different dub than what I grew up with so I usually watch the crappier quality I have on the computer which I transfered from my VHSs a couple of years ago.

This! It's the same with the danish dvd release. So I either watch my old worn out vhs tape or I watch it in english. I really need to get the tape copied to dvd though. My brother is autistic and does not understand english, but he loves the cartoon and the new dub annoys him, always telling me the voices are wrong lol.

OMG, Grumblebum the dog! That's adorable! :lmao:

I really liked the G1 movie! I recently did a rewatch, and it was a lot of fun! I personally have a lot of nostalgia for it, so I'm sure I'm not unbiased in my opinion. But I felt like for a movie that was literally just supposed to be a toy commercial, it had a very compelling plot! And several competing plotlines, at that! I think a lot of kids can sympathize with Baby Lickety Split when she feels like she can't do anything right, and nobody supports her. The stakes were serious, but not so serious as to be traumatic! (Looking at you, Land Before Time.)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal