collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony Hairstyles and Haircuts  (Read 2179 times)

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony Hairstyles and Haircuts
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 02:10:31 AM »
Like others have said, I wouldn't intentionally cut a ponies hair- or at least, not just for the sake of it. Obviously I cut hair off if I'm going to reroot it, or even it out a bit.

On the other hand, haircuts do suit some ponies- my princess Serena has got a bit of a bob cut going on, but I think it's actually a pretty good look for her! The girl who owned her originally (who, according to the initials on Serena's hooves, was called Jade) had good taste in haircuts.

I guess I don't mind little imperfections like that on ponies on general. I think it serves as an important reminder that these ponies may be mostly collectors items now, but they were somebody's beloved childhood toy once.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 04:52:49 AM »
My mantra in general with ponies is do no harm.

I also really hate haircuts on ponies, and consider reroots basically customs, so for me cutting a pony's hair is basically defacing it. The only time that I think hair cutting is permissable is if something has got stuck in the hair or knotted into it and it's the only way to release the problem. That's more of a rescue than anything. But those examples are rare.

I admit that I don't have strong feelings about people cutting hair on M6 G4, though, because there are so many of them. However my overall take on it is that someone else in the community may be desperately seeking a particular pony for whatever reason. If you wreck that pony, you take one pony out of circulation. That's one less person somewhere else who has a chance of obtaining that pony in mint condition.

So yeah, my approach is do no harm. Don't wreck something someone else might appreciate in its original state, look for one that already meets the criteria you are wanting. Look for haircut ponies - there are plenty from kids' childhoods. Look for loose ponies. Look for rehairs. Look for bald ponies and rehair them yourself. All those things are possible, if you really want a particular style or effect.

I don't believe in your pony, your choice if the choice means permanently defacing something that cannot ever be restored to original state. People say it's fine because they won't ever sell that pony, but I've been in this community what, 21 years now, and in that time I have seen many of the people who say "I'll never sell them" actually then turn around and sell their ponies.

So yeah. A big no to haircutting from me.

But as I said, with the number of common G4 M6 ponies around, that one I feel less strongly about. I still wouldn't do it, but the repetition of the line makes it less problematic than vandalising a G1 would.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline StayGoldPonyboy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »
Yall have some real strong feelings on this huh 😂 Guess I need to invest in some hair clips to spice up all this repetitive long hair! And I’ll definitely be on the lookout for ponies with existing haircuts

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 07:49:47 AM »
Hair is one of the biggest determining factors in worth, so it makes sense for us to be riled up, lol.
I'd look at Derpyderp910's videos, he shows how to give ponies a forelock without cutting the hair. It's cute! I've done the same style on a few G3 ponies.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 12:43:59 PM »
Whatever you wanna do but, personally I wouldn't cut hair unless it were ruined beyond hope. There's lotsa good tutorials to style your girls.

Feathers, braids, beads, baby hairclips and ribbon can really make em look great.

Except mane six. They're as common as pixels on a screen. Lol.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 12:50:12 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 12:52:18 PM »
Yall have some real strong feelings on this huh 😂 Guess I need to invest in some hair clips to spice up all this repetitive long hair! And I’ll definitely be on the lookout for ponies with existing haircuts

It's honestly a lot of credit to you to come talk to people about their ideas and feelings about this subject, so kudos and cookies for doing that and for taking it on board :)

As LAW says, there is quite a lot you can do with long hair. I've curled some, braided some, a couple of mine even have their hair in bunches or two tails. Or you can tie it back in a bun or a loop so it doesn't look so long. All those styles are removable, and so it also gives you the chance to change the pony's look from time to time if you get fed up with it (which a haircut is not reversable except with a reroot...)

Brushable hair is one of the key features of MLP overall for a lot of people, so as others have said, there is importance in the hair length being as close to original as possible.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 12:54:42 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2019, 01:37:10 PM »
I can't add to this thread much because Taffeta already phrased it so well.

Out in "the wild" I'll still buy a pony with hair cuts if it's cheap but other than that it has lost too much value and is more or less custom bait.
Other than that - these are ~35 year old collectables (speaking of g1) and same as I wouldn't scrape off a pattern I disliked from a Ming vase, or cut "more modern holes" into authentic vintage clothes - I won't devalue a pony by cutting it's hair. I will do everything in my power to save it.

I received a MB Lightning with something that had tangled his hair and tail into a sticky oily mess. His owner had given up and said if I didn't take him (for free + postage) she'd just toss him in the garbage.
It took me three days of hard work but I got it out. He's now in my herd.

I am still a believer that what you own is yours and you are technically free to do whatever you please with it.
And I too prefer ponies off the cards (except for childhood ponies - those I want MIP) but I wouldn't decard a pony unless the card was harming the pony [e.g. mold or something else that contaminates the pony].

Newer generations such as g3 and onwards I have very little to none attachment to and I couldn't care less if people cut their hair or limbs off for various projects.
That might change in 15 years :P

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
or cut "more modern holes" into authentic vintage clothes
OT but I see so many people do this on Depop, or crop the design in half, even. Can't wait to see a bunch of crop tops back in the thrifts in a few years.  :P

Curls do shorten the pony's hair a bit as well if the length is annoying, but then you have curls, so.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 06:30:47 PM »
I don't mind ponies with haircuts. My Crumpet has a short forelock, and her baby looks to have a possible mane trim. I think it's endearing that a child tried to style their hair.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal