collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Regrind spots & Highlighters... clarification? UPDATED w/ PICS! :)  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
Re: Regrind spots & Highlighters... clarification? UPDATED w/ PICS! :)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
As I said earlier, if its not regrind, you should be able to sunfade it. :) Highlighter fades really quickly actually.

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »
As I said earlier, if its not regrind, you should be able to sunfade it. :) Highlighter fades really quickly actually.

Really? Okay I've heard the opposite about pink marks, lol but, it can't hurt to try... especially on the Teeny tiny one... she's so BEAUTIFUL other than that. Thanks! :biggrin:

But there's nothing I can do for Lofty - Oxy the flocking or anything? :huh: I never really clean my SS that deeply because I'm afraid of rubbing the flock off of them...
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 11:26:34 AM »
Well at least in my experince, actual highlight marks from pens have faded really fast.  :lol: All my childhood ponies were full of it, and I was able to sunfade them in a few weeks. (I did use creams to make it faster though but I bet only sun will work too) My Baby Sapphire was fully covered in yellow highlighter and she had my name written in her neck with pink one.. All gone now!

I would try sunfading the SS too. There's not much to lose. If that ruins the flocking, then you could go ahead and deflock her, but its best to try every other option first.  :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:29:01 AM by Eldarwen »

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »
Well... what method do you use for sunfading? :) 'cause your results sound awesome!!  I tend to use the... tinfoil, white paint - remove with alcohol sunfading, which I can't do on an SS... right? Should I just put her out there completely open?
Sorry I know that's a bit off topic but it helps me understand the best way to tackle removing anything that COULD be actual marker marks... :biggrin:

My Want List

Offline Eldarwen

• View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
I wrap my ponies in toilet paper and painter's tape.   :lol: I used to wrap them in tinfoil, but someone told me that can yellow ponies, so i've been afraid to use it nowadays. I just wrap everything except the part that needs sunfading, and then place the pony in the most sunniest place I can find in the yard. I just wash the pony before sunfading so there is no visible dirt, but thats all. Oh right, and the ponies stand on a mirror. (Like in my pic)

Some marks fade really quick, some can take the whole summer, at least in Finland.  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:47:53 AM by Eldarwen »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »
I call it "toy box syndrome" - whether they were in a cardboard box, a bag, a backpack, or whatever, they often jostle against other items.  Many items accelerate the degrading process, so proper storage really is important!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Hexi

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 02:51:20 PM »
I have my own opinion on regrind so i'mma put them here.

I have a TE Speedy and all around her horn and on her head she has bright orange splodges mixed in with the rest of her darker orange. Galaxy has the same thing but obviously pink. i just feel THIS is regrind and although it's not "highlighter" dark pink dots, i was under the impression they were the same thing. the breakdown of the colour pigment in the plastic.

What has been mentioned to be regrind is what i thought was cancer, a breakdown of the plastic itself.

i know i'm only a newbie and that its probably very much a personal interpretation to each collector but this is what i feel. :)

Post Merge: June 30, 2013, 02:53:09 PM

lol sorry i didnt offer a solution. XD
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:53:09 PM by Hexi »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2013, 02:35:17 AM »
Its only going to be fade-able if its pen marks. It is not going to be fade-able if its a break down in the plastic. Similar to some age marks, I agree that fading can remove the "stain" caused by whichever chemical is causing the fading [such as the bromide in flame retardant chemicals ] but unfortunately there is always the risk they will come back as you are not removing the cause just the result.

However, that being said I always think its worth trying sun fading...just in case...because you really never know.

I honestly dont think these are pen marks unfortunately, too irrigular and I stick by the points I raised earlier - try drawing on a pony with a pink highlighter you don't get as bright a mark and in the case of Lofty the stain would be on rather than under her fuzziness. I think it happens sometimes because of environmental conditions or as LBS points out how ponies were stored. Plastic reacts to its environment after all - so if these girls were all stored together and subject to the same environmental conditions, I think the fact they all have the marks makes sense..

And @FarDreamer, honey you know I love your website and I would be honoured :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 05:53:38 AM »
I'm not disputing anyone because I think you guys are SPOT on, hehe. :slug:

I just want to say that when I was a kid, I did have a pink highlighter. And I did keep it in my toy box and several of my toys did end up with highlighter marks one time that I didn't totally get the lid on. :lookround: No ponies were harmed. :D

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 06:00:01 AM »
I must have had a really lacking childhood in not being given access to highlighter pens :P
Loa is my love god!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »
Haha... I hate to break it to ya Cat, but I also had TONS of highlighters... as a kid of the late 80s early 90s, neon was all the rage! So what's better than a neon marker? :P

But I do think most of these are some... TBS - definitely. Something else that caused this... I also don't think "highlighter" is really the kind of marker I mean... but, some "ink" that faded to a neon color makes me think of a "highlighter" ya know?

I think they're coming to the fair with me as is, if anyone wants to see any of them maybe we can look together! :)

I do appreciate all the info though. I hate these ponies... haha... stupid me. They weren't visible in auction picture, and absolutely 0 description in the auction ad... but they were cheap so, I can't complain too much... :huh: Or can I? LOL

My Want List

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:50 PM »
You so know I am starting a poll in off topic about child hood highlighter ownership right?
Loa is my love god!

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
OK, so in 2010 I had to pack up my ponies to sell our house and it was all done in a rush so they were just put in storage boxs and taken to my inlaws' spare room. The ponies that were in the cardboard boxes came out fine, but the ponies in the plastic storage box with plastic lid came out with.... PINK "highlighter pen" marks! I was really upset because that box was my childhood ponies and i was a very careful child. I definately didnt pack them with hightlighter pens in there! I have a Masquerade with exactly the same kind of marks as the Original Poster of this thread.

Hathorcat - I was not allowed access to highlighter pens as a child either!! I think they were expensive to buy in the 80s. I remember borrowing one of my mum's for a picture as my yellow felt pen ran out  (she was a teacher and had a set for marking  that I was very envious of!!) and being really told off for sneaking into her desk drawer ;)

OP - if the ponies were cheap i would not be upset. I can live with pink dots ;) but I am not a fussy collector.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 03:09:36 PM »
*YES* One for the none highlighter team - tackle :hug: GothMummy

And yes Sunshine I am crashing your thread now...I am on a mission.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »
Muahaha I actually want to know about this Cat, it was really interesting to me about no highlighters for some people... lol I had more markers than I knew what to do with, and still I suck at art LOL...

My Want List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal