collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What my mind does when i watch some G1  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Jorgito93

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
What my mind does when i watch some G1
« on: March 05, 2016, 06:08:01 PM »
So i'm watching G1 episodes, and i really like it.I just watched The Glass Princess and this episode wasn't like the others, it left me bored.Porcina is ridiculous, i mean seriously, a pig that looks like a character from the CDI Zelda games that want to turn Ponyland into glass so she can see herself everywhere?What?Not to mention the end when she's just like "well i'm being bad, and being bad is not good, so i should be good now".To add to this, i found some strange-looking frames and characters changing that made me question if the team behind it really cares (yes i know this is to sell toys, but others episodes where so much better).The only thing i liked was Shady (because her thinking she's useless really touched me, i was just like her not so long ago).
These frames are just...I don't know how and why they did that:
Spoiler
I don't know how they made Heart Throb look like that :
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And this...Lickety Split and Paradise looks bland like they are going to eat your soul:

Then Paradise transforms into Posey:

And Surprise decided to join, because why not?
But i didn't made this topic to cry on a G1 episode.Being bored by the episode, my toy story infected mind became to think another story...For me,this episode is the imagination of 3 G1 ponies being beat up by some boys.This is how it went in my mind:
So there is Heart Throb, Lickety Split and Gusty, three happy little pony toys owned by a girl (represented by Megan).The girl plays with them (the pony olympics), then she leaves these three there.After that, three boys (the Raptorians) come and steal them (the kidnapping with a net).They take the ponies to their home,where their sister (Porcina) tells them to wreck these ponies because she's jealous of their owner.So the boys begin to paint them silly (the part where the Raptorians put make up on them), and decide to finish them by cutting their hair(the same thing happens in the episode).The ponies know that after that, the next step is the trash,so they imagine what happened in a more epic way to forget the reality(mostly the part where their hair grows back).From now on they are totally in their illusion, they don't see the reality anymore, so when their owner comes to take them back, all they see is Megan and the other ponies saving them and Porcina turning good (or maybe the other girl becomes good and friend with their owner,this part isn't clear in my mind).Their owner takes them back with her in the poor condition they are,and everything is fine...
This wasn't supposed to be serious, just what my mind does sometimes when i have too much imagination.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: What my mind does when i watch some G1
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »
The animators 100% did not care, they were animation studios who churned out massive amounts of animation for Sunbow and made lots of hilarious animation errors along the way.   Like, one Optimus Prime would be holding something up and a second Optimus Prime would run out and catch something. To be fair, I think it would be hard to stay enthused about a job that consisted of "draw something, then draw the same thing in a slightly different pose, then draw it AGAIN in a slightly different pose" and so on.

Although I think the Heart Throb shot there was done for comedy's sake.

Anyway, I too often think about how an episode could be changed or improved.  It's half the fun!  ;)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Jorgito93

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
The animators 100% did not care, they were animation studios who churned out massive amounts of animation for Sunbow and made lots of hilarious animation errors along the way.   Like, one Optimus Prime would be holding something up and a second Optimus Prime would run out and catch something. To be fair, I think it would be hard to stay enthused about a job that consisted of "draw something, then draw the same thing in a slightly different pose, then draw it AGAIN in a slightly different pose" and so on.

Although I think the Heart Throb shot there was done for comedy's sake.

Anyway, I too often think about how an episode could be changed or improved.  It's half the fun!  ;)
Yes some transformers one are epic..Like the optimus without a mouth, the autobot soundwave or the giant ironhide and tiny ratchet.But yes, i know that they didn't care:i'm just sharing what i was thinking because it seemed funny to me.

autieluna

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »
While the cheesy plot of the episode doesn't bother me at all in a young children's show, as soon as you described a 'vain pig' I just KNEW her character design would be fat. Sigh...... (where now a lot of cartoons just don't include diverse character designs at all, it seems like all the 80's cartoons managed to show the artists could do it, but only ever for villians, like in Strawberry Shortcake, etc)

Very creative on your part, though! Not used to happy endings on these kinds of theories, and it's a very nice change.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 06:50:45 PM »
Or in the TF episode "Fire in the Sky", Skyfire was supposed to start out as a Decepticon and then become an Autobot.  Those poor, confused animators.  Skyfire had a purple Decepticon insignia one minute, a red Autobot insignia the next, then a RED Decepticon insignia . . .
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 10:36:32 PM »
I rarely see the mistakes. I'm too busy being an excited little kid again. :blush:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 01:29:48 AM »
I agree with LadyMoondancer. The animators didn't care about the mistakes. Here are some more funny ones.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 01:39:53 AM »
While this episode wasn't one of my favorites, there are still some parts about it that I like.

For one, this episode features an (initially) evil princess, which throws a wrench in the "queens=evil, princesses=good" idea that (if I recall correctly) was why Celestia's title wound up being "Princess" rather than "Queen" in FIM. I also can relate to Shady on some level. (Hmm...why does it always seem to be Earth ponies that have these kind of self-esteem issues?)

I don't think there was a single overt fat joke made throughout the episode (yes, Porcina is pretty big, but to be fair, pigs aren't exactly known for being svelte), and Porcina doesn't magically become "truly beautiful" at the end, either -- she just stops becoming overly obsessed with her appearance and gains a group of friends who accept her regardless of her looks.
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 01:57:52 AM »
It seems to me like the plots and characterizations of these '80s toy cartoons were often written with children's play patterns in mind. So I don't think you're off in your interpretation. This story in particular feels like something a child would make up.

I do cringe at the hair cutting scene. It seems... evil somehow. As if it was written to inspire children to cut their ponies' hair. Then they'd be disappointed when the hair doesn't grow back instantly and beg their parents for new ones. More profit for Hasbro!

The Heart Throb anime face is pretty funny and unexpected for a cartoon from this era. And I think this is the only time in the cartoon we get an indication that these are so soft ponies. :)

autieluna

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 03:13:21 AM »

I don't think there was a single overt fat joke made throughout the episode (yes, Porcina is pretty big, but to be fair, pigs aren't exactly known for being svelte), and Porcina doesn't magically become "truly beautiful" at the end, either -- she just stops becoming overly obsessed with her appearance and gains a group of friends who accept her regardless of her looks.

I'm quite happy to hear this  :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:00:57 AM »
Personally I liked the Glass Princess and I liked that Porcina was having second thoughts and decided to turn over a new leaf. The whole bratty, self-absorbed antagonist was a popular thing back in the 80s, (usually rich, preppy daddy's girls, or super handsome jock boys) but very few of them took the time to say, Hey woah! I'm being a real jerk! And make an effort to make amends to their victims.

I also love animation errors, they're fun to look out for.

I identified with Shady as a child too. Having very low self esteem and feeling you can never do anything right. I had her toy.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 07:02:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Lore-Lei

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »
Welcome to my mindset, J.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 09:58:33 AM »
People keep saying "the animators didn't care".
As an animator i think it is more of a case of "this show did not get the budget to fix things"

Errors happen on every production. Either the people working on it (meaning not just the animators. Animators do not color the animation.) did not get enough money or they did not get enough time to actually fix these errors.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:01:02 AM by Malicieuse »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 12:11:52 PM »
I rarely see the mistakes. I'm too busy being an excited little kid again. :blush:

This for me too :) Its just about enjoying the cartoon...I can happily overlook any errors.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 01:08:11 PM »
The issue with the animation was the same faced by many in the 80's.  The Real Ghostbusters DVD collection actually described the joy that was the animation process.  Animation scripts were written up in the U.S. and shipped to Japan and Korea where they had to be translated and handed over the staff at Toei and AKOM.  Then they had to animate everything by hand which was hard enough.  Then film was airmailed to the U.S. for quality checks, and if they had any complaints, they had to airmail them back to Asia for them to be done over again.  The quality control process was so costly and time-consuming, they let a lot of errors slide because correcting them wasn't worth it.

As for the Glass Princess, it's completely garbage.  I declared it the worst episode of G1 MLP when I reviewed the series.  It's boring, stupid, and insulting.  Basically everything bad My Little Pony is accused of being is from this episode aside from tea parties because there was never a tea party in this series.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal